Amb Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
On I-76 near Sterling in Logan County an ambulance vs semi accident with one fatality, another very critical and unknown status on the EMS folks.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
LOGAN COUNTY - An ambulance carrying five people including a pregnant patient slammed into a semi truck - killing two people.

The semi and the ambulance collided on I-76, southwest of Sterling, and northeast of Fort Morgan.

The accident happened around 4:00 p.m. Tuesday. Westbound I-76 was closed for hours at Atwood and Brush.

Investigators have not released who was killed or which vehicle the persons were in.

LOGAN COUNTY -- A crash between a semi truck and an ambulance at mile marker 110 on Interstate 76 claimed two lives Tuesday afternoon.

The deceased were both in the ambulance and were pronounced dead at the scene.

Authorities say both vehicles were westbound in the right lane when the ambulance collided with the rear end of the semi trailer.

The interstate remains closed between Atwood and Brush while an investigation continues. U.S. Highway 6 is an alternate route.
Click here to find out more!

The Rural/Metro ambulance was carrying a patient from Nebraska to Denver at the time of the accident.

(AP) STERLING, Colo. An ambulance slammed into the rear of a semitrailer on Interstate 76, killing two people, according to the Colorado State Patrol.

Trooper Eric Wynn said the crash occurred at about 4 p.m., 15 miles west of Sterling in the westbound lanes.

Karen Woods, 43, and Vicky Thomas were passengers in the ambulance and were both pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver, Chris Larusso, 22, and passenger Dan Beza, 31, were transported to Sterling Regional Medical Center with unknown injuries.

Kelsey Schlichenmayer was a patient in the ambulance and suffered serious injuries from the crash.

The cause of the crash was still under investigation.

Last edited:
My sincere condolences to the families........

How many times have we run "HOT" and lived to tell about it.........

It only takes one time to die.........

This is so sad........

Mic.

evilklown

That is so sad from the pictures anyone to survive that is pretty lucky. it says they hit the back of the semi i wounder how that happend unless the semi was comming over and it slammed into it. from the photos it dosent look like there wasnt any attemp to stop there is no skid marks that i can see. really terrible.

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
ambulance accident

todays denver post reports the driver of the ambulance has been cited 4 times in adams county and denver since 2003 for speeding,driving too close to another vehicle, not wearing a seat belt and other safety violations. he was found guilty on 3 of these violations. he was not wearing a seatbelt in september, and in july he was speeding 20 to 24 mph over the speed limit, and speeding too fast for road conditions. the other 2 violations were reduced to lesser violations.

Moosemedic

Background checks?

Am I missing something or is this an extrodinary amount of convictions for Rural Metro's Insurance Carrier?

If he'd been caught 4 times, and convited 3, odds are he's driving like that all the time. I wonder if he's had partner changes as a result of his driving skills (or lack thereof) I can't imagine how he drives an Emergency Vehicle if that's the way he conducts himself in civilian traffic.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Moosemedic said:
Am I missing something or is this an extrodinary amount of convictions for Rural Metro's Insurance Carrier?

If he'd been caught 4 times, and convited 3, odds are he's driving like that all the time. I wonder if he's had partner changes as a result of his driving skills (or lack thereof) I can't imagine how he drives an Emergency Vehicle if that's the way he conducts himself in civilian traffic.

RM said they had checked his MVR as recently as March and I assume considered it ok, because he was continuing to drive.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3808539

Jim<

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I can't see how his driving record looked good in March when his violations go back over the last few years. My guess is that they were short people and let him drive. But thats just my guess, and I'm guessing it'll all come out in the inevitable law suits.

Moosemedic

Was this a CCT run?

RM has a habit of running the CCT town across the country. I spoke with one crew that had just driven back from Rapid City..... That's one possible reason why you'd run into the back of a Semi in broad daylight...not to mention his obviously poor judgement off duty.

fairrpe86

Thats not good. RM has the contract for the AirLife Denver CCT, do those emt's get paid by AirLife or do they get paid by RM?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
fairrpe86 said:
Thats not good. RM has the contract for the AirLife Denver CCT, do those emt's get paid by AirLife or do they get paid by RM?

Don't believe so, RM has the non emergent contract for patient transfers out of Swedish but not the CCT.

AIRLIFE Ground Transport is provided by the AIRLIFE CCT (Critical Care Transport) ambulance. This service is provided 24 hours/ day for Interfacility hospital transports and is staffed with two AIRLIFE Flight Nurses and an AIRLIFE EMT.

Jim<

Last edited:

evilklown

Moosemedic said:

lol i am with you on that i would have changed real fast i wouldnt let someone else kill me because he couldnt drive right. but to slam in the back of a big semi come on you know that guy needs to go back to do the driving test agian. sad that 2 people had to lose there life because of him.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
See new message thread for service details.

Last edited:

fairrpe86

Ok, Was not aware of the Airlife emt's being for AirLife. I have a friend who drives the CCt for them and thought he had said that they still worked for RM but I guess I misheard him.

Status
Not open for further replies.