Denver FF Critical

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Another DFD FF critically inj in an overnight house fire.

DENVER - "Something went terribly wrong," said Denver Fire Lt. Phil Champagne speaking about a house fire that badly injured a firefighter early Sunday morning.

The firefighter was hurt fighting a two story house fire near East 44th Avenue and Thompson Court in North Denver. The fire started around 4:30 a.m. When crews got on scene flames and smoke were shooting out of a second story window.

Firefighters acted quickly and rescued one woman from the second floor. She is in critical condition at a Denver hospital.

According to Champagne, it was after that rescue when something happened that trapped a firefighter. A specially trained rescue team went in and rescued the firefighter, but not until he had sustained "grave" injuries. A second firefighter was also hurt during the rescue. That firefighter is expected to be all right.

A person who lives in the house says the fire started because a cotton ball was left too close to a candle. The cotton ball apparently had make-up remover or rubbing alcohol on it that caused it to ignite.

Fire investigators have not confirmed what caused the fire.

Earlier this week, another Denver firefighter was hurt. On Tuesday, 35 year old Billy Green collapsed while fighting a house fire. He has since been released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
We have been advised that a Denver fire Lieutenant was removed in very serious condition while attempting to rescue a woman trapped in a dwelling fire early this morning. The woman was rescued and has been hospitalized.
The Lieutenant, 61 years old just shy of a few days from retirement, was rescued by RIT team members and was in cardiac arrest. He was taken to the hospital where he is reported to be in grave condition.
This is a separate incident from the earlier fire in Denver this week.
More when we have it. Keep him, his families and the Denver FD members in your prayers.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
15 shifts from retirement

DENVER - A firefighter critically injured Sunday morning was scheduled to retire in just two months. He was hurt while fighting a house fire Sunday morning in North Denver.

"Something went terribly wrong," said Denver Fire Lt. Phil Champagne. 61 year old Rich Montoya, a 30 year fire department veteran, was found in a second floor room with a mattress on top of him.

Montoya was found by other firefighters who heard the screeching tone from an emergency device he was carrying. Montoya was given CPR on his way to a Denver hospital where he is now listed in critical condition. A spokesman for the fire department says it will be 24 to 72 hours until Montoya's prognosis is known.

The fire started about 4:30 Sunday morning at a home near East 44th Avenue and Thompson Court. When crews got on scene flames and smoke were shooting out of a second story window. Firefighters acted quickly and rescued one woman from the second floor. She is in critical condition at a Denver hospital.

According to Champagne, it was after that rescue when something happened that trapped Montoya. At the time of the accident, conditions were very bad inside the home with no visibility and heavy smoke. A second firefighter was also hurt during the rescue. He is expected to be fine.

A person who lives in the house says the fire started because a cotton ball was left too close to a candle. The cotton ball apparently had make-up remover or rubbing alcohol on it that caused it to ignite.

Fire investigators have not confirmed what caused the fire.

Earlier this week, another Denver firefighter was hurt. On Tuesday, 35-year-old Billy Green collapsed while fighting a house fire. He has since been released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

Last edited:

Thayne

It's screwy how that many firemen can be injured in so short a time--it just goes to show ya. What?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Lodd

Lt Rich Montoya has been removed from life support and the Denver Fire Department has scheduled a press conference at 4pm today. May he rest in peace.

Jim<

SCPD

QRT
That sure does suck! 15 shifts from retirement after 30 years, crazy! A friend of mine served with him and is very shook up................

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
The funeral for deceased Denver Firefighter Lieutenant Richard P. Montoya
will be held at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Colfax and
Pennsylvania, at 1100 hours on Thursday, May 25. Internment will follow
at Ft. Logan National Cemetary, 3698 South Sheridan Boulevard, Denver.

Departments intending to send apparatus should contact Denver Fire
Operations at 720-913-3438.

lmriggs

I really appreciated the young lady that Lt. Montoya saved, coming out and publicly thanking him as she did. That is, in itself, a little unusual.

What a terribly load she must now carry knowing that the one who saved her life died doing so.

The DFD saved my home in 1990 so I have special feelings for them.

I'm sorry Mr. Montoya.

funcritter

I can't think of anything to say other than my sympathies to the Montoya family. I have the greatest respect for all Firefighters and Police Officers for the unselfish work they do.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
LODD Update

Services begin at 11am today, over 200 emergency vehicles are expected to attend the procession across town and live feed will be available at www.kusa.com beginning at 1045.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.