High School Students Red Carded

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
IDAHO SPRINGS - They have been training all semester long, and the final test is here.

22 students at Clear Creek High School had to prove they have the physical stamina necessary to be volunteer firefighters.

With 45-pound packs on their shoulders, they had to walk 3 miles in 45 minutes.

All of them passed.

In Clear Creek County, there will now be 22 additional young, strong people available to help in a wildfire emergency (just as soon as they turn 18, that is.)

The program is the first of its kind in the nation, sponsored by Evergreen Fire/Rescue and the Clear Creek County Sheriff's office.

Organizers hope to continue the program year to year. They also hope to be a model for other programs that may form around the country.

yooperinco

New Fire Fighters

One of my co-workers just took that test, he showed me his pack that weighed 45 pounds.... It is not light!!!! I think it is a great accomplishment to all these young kids that they were able to pass.

If anyone wants to know what it's like, buy a 50 pound bag of dog food and strap it to your back. Then add an extra 2300 ft in elevation vs. Denver.

evilklown

3 miles in 45 minutes wow that sounds impossible with 45 pounds and the elevation. but i guess they had good training that always pays off. Awsome to see them all pass!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I hope the media really makes a big deal of this. Too many times we're just hearing stories that aren't particulary flattering of teens.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
datainmotion said:
I hope the media really makes a big deal of this. Too many times we're just hearing stories that aren't particulary flattering of teens.

KUSA did a very nice live feature on the kids last night.

Jim<

rfburns

jimmnn said:
The program is the first of its kind in the nation, sponsored by Evergreen Fire/Rescue and the Clear Creek County Sheriff's office. quote]

I wonder what specifically is the first of its kind in the nation??

There are seconds added to the time limit for elevations above sea level. BTW there are a few Wildland Firefighters in their 70's taking and passing the arduous pack test each year.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
rfburns said:
jimmnn said:
The program is the first of its kind in the nation, sponsored by Evergreen Fire/Rescue and the Clear Creek County Sheriff's office. quote]

I wonder what specifically is the first of its kind in the nation??

There are seconds added to the time limit for elevations above sea level. BTW there are a few Wildland Firefighters in their 70's taking and passing the arduous pack test each year.

Training the high school students I believe Harry is what they are referring to as the first in the country not the pack test or anything.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.