Best Mobile Antenna for Front Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfrench

I have been searching and researching for a good quality mobile antenna that I can use strickly for 800 mhz. I have the wilson cell antenna and have tried the Radio Shack Magnet mount and these have been fair. Wondering what others out there are using and what works the best.

gfrench

I have the RS 800 rubber antennna, are you saying just get a mount that will accept the BNC connection and use that. I did see on one of the sites a Mag Mount with 12 ft of coax
with the BNC conection to where I could attched that antenna to.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
I don't beleive the radio shack 800 duck was designed to withstand 70 M.P.H.

As far as portable scanners go using 800 MHz vehicle antennas introduce front end overload and desensing the receiver big time especially when near cell and sprint/nextel sites in populated areas.

The 800 duck does very well on it's own for portable use.

Phil.

RISC777

gfrench said:
I have been searching and researching for a good quality mobile antenna that I can use strickly for 800 mhz. I have the wilson cell antenna and have tried the Radio Shack Magnet mount and these have been fair. Wondering what others out there are using and what works the best.
You mentioned an RS mag mount and also stated "mobile" antenna, which leaves me wondering are you looking for an antenna on your handheld (a ducky) or an external antenna for a vehicle?

gfrench

I am looking for a external antenna, perferably a mag mount or something that I do not have to drill into my truck.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
gfrench said:
I am looking for a external antenna, perferably a mag mount or something that I do not have to drill into my truck.

Caution is urged on the increased gain that any external antenna provides to the front end of the scanner especially downtown, unless you like to monitor paging transmitters.

The scanner is designed to operate on the rubber duck provided in a metro area.

Have you tried a Max Systems antenna I use the model 8HH with great results.

Jim<

Last edited:

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I'm using a Antennex Phantom Elite on a permanent mount on the trunk of my car. You can get the same antenna on a trunk lip mount. It's a 2-way antenna, thats hooked to my scanner...I don't have problems with desense, overload, or any of the other problems that Phil mentions, and I live right under a slew of cell, paging and 2-way antennas.

RISC777

Trunk Lid/Lip Mounts

firescannerbob said:
I'm using a Antennex Phantom Elite on a permanent mount on the trunk of my car. You can get the same antenna on a trunk lip mount. It's a 2-way antenna, thats hooked to my scanner...I don't have problems with desense, overload, or any of the other problems that Phil mentions, and I live right under a slew of cell, paging and 2-way antennas.
As Bob stated, I also have used a trunk/lip mount (non-permanent) so that the cable isn't exposed or being routed through a window (it's getting to be winter time now). With that type of mount you can use any type antenna that serves your needs. The three antennas I've used I've not had problems with any overload and such. Just an option to a mag mount.
`Doug

gfrench

Thanks for all of the information. Bob, I just checked out Antennex web site and looks like very good quality antennas. What model are you using and is ther someone in the Denver area that sell this product.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I prefer the paper clip design my self. Take a huge wad of bubble gum (grape works best) and put one side or the paper clip right in the middle MAKE sure its about 3” long. But your resluts may very… :D

I cannot remember what kind of car you drive Greg so I’ll ask. What kind of car are you sporting around in?

[FONT=&quot]I use a tiny antenna from ANTENEX. I love it![/FONT]

Last edited:

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I'm using the Phantom Elite 800mhz model. Functiionally, it's the same as the one Erik has posted a photo of, but looks like a shark fin. Which one you get is merely a matter of aesthetics. I mail ordered mine from Tessco, and I don't know if anyone local has one. The Elite costs a few dollars more than the tubular looking model.

Attachments

• phantomelite_si09.jpg
    phantomelite_si09.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 179

gfrench

How does this antenna do with EDAC's Denver PD, Lakewood etc? That is what I am having the most problem with. I know this antenna will work great for the APCO system.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
gfrench said:
How does this antenna do with EDAC's Denver PD, Lakewood etc? That is what I am having the most problem with. I know this antenna will work great for the APCO system.
800mhz is 800mhz...you want an antenna that matches the frequency you're wanting to listen to. The type of system is immaterial.

manross

I'm also using the same one as Erik on my F250 diesel and I travel between Thornton and Colorado Springs. It works great. The other week at a conference in Steamboat I got stuck on Rabbit Ears Pass and tuned into the CB freqs to see why we weren't moving. Not designed for that low of freq, but picked up far enough for me to find out what was going on miles ahead. I like the low profile, since my truck is big enough....

Marty

Last edited:

gfrench

What do these antennas come with when you purchase? Do I need to purchase the coax and a base to mount or does this all come together?

Also what are the mounting options?

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
You'll need to purchase the appropriate mount for whatever option you choose. The antenna uses an NMO mount, so look for NMO hardware. The NMO mount can be purchased on a magnet mount assembly, or by itself, and then you can purchase the trunk lip mount or whatever. The mount typically comes with about 17' of coax attached.

RISC777

1. Decide on the antenna you want to use.
2. Based on it's mount requirements, choose the type mount that matches the antennas base connection and how/where you want to mount it.
3. On the mount look for cable length and connector at the scanner end (if it's not BNC, you'll have to get an adapter, maybe two).

A few antennas are designed to not need a ground plane, but for the others that do body metal (or other) being your ground plane will play into where you decide to mount it.
NMO mounts can be magnet mount, trunk/lip mount, permanent mount (drilling a hole in body metal), bumper mount, mirror mount (maybe a couple others that I can't think of now.
Consider routing of the cable through the vehicle to where you want it to be in the vehicle, where the scanner is going to be.

gfrench

Thanks for all of the advice and I have decided to go with the one that Erik is using.

I see that there are 2 listed for the 800 mhz on the Tessco website, (806 - 866) and
(821-896)

I am assuming that I need to order Model #TRAB8213P (821-896) due to the Frequncy that I need to cover Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.