What is the 700 mhz system in Colorado Springs used for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I don't believe any of these are actually in use at the moment. They are NOT part of the county's system.
It's possible that they're licenses for the up-coming re-banding, or for some kind of merger into the DTRS.
I'll admit to not having monitored any of them, but I can tell you that most of the radios on the El Paso County system are NOT 700mhz capable, so those freqs are not being used for general public safety comms.
Now that I think of it, it is possible that they're being used in simplex mode for surveillance or undercover use...

MMIC

MOI = Mobile Itinerant. These frequencies are similar to, but not quite like, the 800 MHz ITAC/ICALL pairs. The difference being that they are meant for simplex interoperability only, not mixed simplex/repeated. They will not be part of any radio system infrastructure, such as sites. They will be P-25 digital, though.

Arapahoe County has the same set of frequencies licensed here:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=243

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Thanks MMIC...
That confirms what I was thinking. I can never make heads or tails of some of those FCC acronyms...

scanner_nut

Thanks for the info, that makes sense that its some type of low power (2 watt) mutual aide system. The mode in the table lists the frequencies as FM, not APCO-25, like the link you replied with. Does that mean this system will be analogue and not digital?

Other references show that these systems can be used for on scene local comm between the incident responders.

I will program them into a bank and see if any become active.

MMIC

Sometimes the people who are applying for FCC licenses don't know what they're doing when they do the emissions section of the license. I'd like to see the 6.25 kHz analog FM voice transmission that they are licensed for. The 11K analog emission that is licensed is more probable. The 11K3F2D emission will be the P-25 digital emission that is authorized under the license. I recall that either the regional plan, or the FCC, requires that transmissions on these interoperability/itinerant channels be digital. There will have to be a standard so that when agencies are assisting one another they don't screw up which mode they need to be in, and I am 99% sure that the mode is digital.

mpdonala

Premium Subscriber
Just to put my 2 cents worth in I know that the City/County were putting in a system for thier Moble Data Tereminals so they can get away from haveing to deal with a commercial network. I think they use verizon now.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I don't know about the city, but the county is using Cingular, and it sucks. I use Verizon and it beats the crap outta Cingular, especially since the very recent upgrade of Verizons data service down here.

SCPD

QRT
MMIC said:
There will have to be a standard so that when agencies are assisting one another they don't screw up which mode they need to be in, and I am 99% sure that the mode is digital.

You are right. It's the FCC that is requiring digital in the 700 band. And I'm pretty sure it has to be P25 and that you won't see Provoice used in the 700 band.

SCPD

QRT
firescannerbob said:
I use Verizon and it beats the crap outta Cingular, especially since the very recent upgrade of Verizons data service down here.

Yep, Verizon just activated EVDO (the higher speed stuff) in Springs and Pueblo.

Status
Not open for further replies.