Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Mystery dogs suspension of Brighton fire leaders
Reasons unclear; fate may be decided soon
By Manny Gonzales
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:11/27/2006 11:28:45 PM MST
The suspensions of Brighton's fire chief and second-in-command not only surprised the community but also blindsided the men who have led the 96-firefighter department for more than half a decade.
Chief Robert Parker and Assistant Chief Steve Legault were notified last week of their suspensions. Legault said he was told it had do with "performance issues."
Julie Blair, board president of the Greater Brighton Fire Protection District, would not disclose the reasons for the suspensions but said the men's futures with the department will be decided by Thursday.
Parker could not be reached for comment.
Legault, 56, said he still is skeptical about the reasons for the board's actions.
"We were hit cold turkey with this, and we still are trying to put some rhyme or reason to it," Legault said. "They referenced some performance concerns, but very few specifics and no charges that I did anything wrong or anything illegal. I believe I'm being swept out the door with Chief Parker."
Senior Division Chief John Schissler, 47, who has been with the department for 21 years, will lead a department of 36 paid and 60 volunteer firefighters. The district is run by an elected board that handles operations for Brighton and surrounding areas.
Brighton Mayor Jan Pawlowski, who was notified of the suspensions last week, said she was surprised.
"As far as I know, there were no problems at all with the department," Pawlowski said. "I know that Chief Parker was quite involved in making sure the mill levy passed (for fire protection) and had been out in the community getting support for it."
Legault said the board noted a report he submitted that spotlighted low morale among firefighters.
"The report noted that we've had firefighters leave because of pay issues," he said "We lost six firefighters in the last 12 months to other departments because of low pay."
The men were urged to attend a board meeting on Nov. 20 - the day the department learned voters had narrowly approved the mill levy increase to pay for staffing, salary increases and equipment - and were notified of their suspensions in executive session.
Legault, who makes $76,000 a year, said he has not decided whether to fight his suspension or accept the severance package the board offered him.
"It seems like it's just a very dysfunctional board," he said.

Thayne

Must be small town politics, unless they work at that horny charter school after hours :)

Status
Not open for further replies.