Digital TV finally coming to Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFsponge

In the very last act of the outgoing congress, both the House and the Senate passed a bill effectively ending the fight between Jeffco and the City of Golden against the Lake Cedar Group, a conglomerate of four Denver TV stations, over land atop Lookout Mountain where a new Digital TV tower is to be built. Some people in Golden are NOT happy. Click on the video part of the following link to see some closer shots of Channel 4's current 833-foot tower that I took yesterday. It also houses 103.5's transmitters (both analog and HD) and a few Ham repeaters that our Engineer stuck in because he's an avid Ham operator.

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_344131700.html

At least it was bi-partisan treachery. Both Allard and Salazar supported the bill!

Rob

Last edited:

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
From cbs4.com:
Golden City Manager Mike Bestor is among the critics.
"It's such a basic element of our democracy that people have a right to be heard before you pass legislation," Bestor said. "It definitely leaves a bad taste in our mouth."

Uh, Mike: your small group of critics have been "heard" for the last 7 years before the legislation was passed. How much more time did you need?

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I just can't wait to speend a huge portion of my money so that I can see the pors on an actors face. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin#Layers :lol:

"The tower would guarantee free digital signals for HDTV throughout metro Denver, something the Federal Communications Commission has mandated be in place by 2009."

Free my foot!

More RF?

People,people, just unplug that computer and the cell phone from your life and hang yourself with the cord. :twisted:

Last edited:

yooperinco

I really didn't care if this happened or not, since I can't recieve any "over the air" tv signals. I didn't understand what the big fuss was about. They supposedly want to consolidate 4 towers into 1? Who would be against that?

And I thought that property was outside of Golden city limits, if so, how do they have any say in what happens on Lookout mountain?

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Golden was trying to annex Lookout; no other good reason than to get involved in the tower fight.

daleduke17

No offense to people who live in that area, or know anyone in that area for my following statement.

The people complaining are probably ones with six or seven digit homes who don't want change. Probably the same ilk of people around here who don't want windmills built.

I am suprised, as someone else has already said, that they are against combining four towers into one. Wouldn't the companies, once the new tower is built, remove the other four? That would make their area look better...or so one would think.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
I never understood the beef that people had with the reduction in the number of tower either.

SCPD

QRT
I've had HDTV from Republic Plaza for a long time now, but it will be nice to get them moved to Lookout and more output power.

For the people that are dumb enough to live on Lookout and get blasted by RF: You live on the main broadcast mountain top for Denver. You know that, so get over it. Move if you don't like it.

yooperinco

Move towers

Heck, they should just move the tower to squaw mtn. At least I'd have a chance of getting some free T.V. Wonder how the signal would be in denver if they transmitted from there......

MMIC

Squaw is not nearly as accessible as Lookout - plus it's 30 miles west of downtown. I would bet that some of the western areas of the metro (Golden, some of Lakewood, Arvada, etc.) would have reduced reception due to attenuation by being so close to the foothills. Lookout is the best option - the NIMBYs just need to get over themselves.

I still think that the argument that they need one big tower so that they can do digital is a crock, though. They should have thought of something better than that. You don't need a whole new tower just to change modulation schemes.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Who would benefit if OTA TV coverage were severely crippled? Comcast, Jones, Dish Network, DirecTV.

Wonder how many of the NIMBY's have connections to any of the above. Or the city of Golden for that matter.

What usually motivates politicos? Money usually.

Follow the money.

Phil.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
captaincraig44 said:
I never understood the beef that people had with the reduction in the number of tower either.

Me either! I saw this on the news last week and thought WHAT THE HECK! :lol:

I just hope this season's perpetual hope brings K-mart a blue light special on HDTV converters and TVs. :lol: "FREE" would be nice! COMCAST!!!

Last edited:

Steve2003

Unencrypted HDTV with Comcast

Has anyone ever heard of a QAM tuner? QAM is the format that comcast uses for their digital cable signals. I have heard that you can connect a QAM tuner to your cable line and recieve digital cable channels. From what I understand, Comcast does not encrypt HD network broadcast channels (to answer the previous post, I think you can get free HDTV from Comcast if you subscribe to basic analog cable and provide your own QAM tuner). (If you wish to recieve encrypted subscription channels, you can get a cable card form comcast that will LEGALLY decrypt the channels that you subscribe for). Is anyone on this site using a QAM tuner and/or a cable card in the Denver area?

MMIC

Steve2003 said:
Has anyone ever heard of a QAM tuner? QAM is the format that comcast uses for their digital cable signals. I have heard that you can connect a QAM tuner to your cable line and recieve digital cable channels. From what I understand, Comcast does not encrypt HD network broadcast channels (to answer the previous post, I think you can get free HDTV from Comcast if you subscribe to basic analog cable and provide your own QAM tuner). (If you wish to recieve encrypted subscription channels, you can get a cable card form comcast that will LEGALLY decrypt the channels that you subscribe for). Is anyone on this site using a QAM tuner and/or a cable card in the Denver area?

Comcast will tell you that you can receive their HDTV programming for free with your subscription to digital cable. If you have a HDTV tuner, you can receive it. It's not a secret.

MMIC

RFsponge said:
For those of you out there that pay taxes in Jeffco, I feel sorry for you.

Notice that only two of the three commissioners signed the letter....hmm....

But it was quite poorly written. I would have hoped that they could have come up with something better than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.