New El Paso County groups, Any success with BCD996 or 396 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcp54

Please forgive my naivety, I've been reading and now head banging with the new software upgrades. I have not had any success with my BCD996T or 396 Unidens. I can receive transmissions if I camp on a frequency, but cannot get scan to work.

Has anyone successfully accomplished this? I used ARC396 and ARC996 tapping the RR database then programming the radios.

I can camp on a given frequency and receive transmissions with my BC785, but of course no trunk tracking in scan mode.

Any help will be graciously appreciated. I'm "lost in El Paso County." - Thank you in advance.

mpdonala

Premium Subscriber
I have had no problem with either of mine. Give me an e-mail address and I will try and send you the set up. Mark

gonserg

Mark.....I may have a similar problem. I have a Uniden BC296D, and also need to hold on a single frequency. Thought it was the radio, but Colorado State Patrol system is ok. In my case, the control channel and "active" frequency want to flip back and fourth during conversations (Priority is off). Any help would be appreciated. Just in case you have some info for me as well: garygonz@msn.com THANKS....

mcp54

mpdonala said:
I have had no problem with either of mine. Give me an e-mail address and I will try and send you the set up. Mark
Thank you Mark. FiremanBob and I spoke a couple of years ago, but I lost his telephone number. This is when the BC785D was new. This is a big deal for me, I've wasted too much time already.

Email don@dons-electronics.com ...

Again, this is very much appreciated. I saw some flaming in another thread for El Paso County and that was so much out of character for this group.

I appreciate this very much. Thanks - Don

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
mcp54 said:
I can camp on a given frequency and receive transmissions with my BC785, but of course no trunk tracking in scan mode.
Bad news. The BC785 does NOT decode the 9600 P25 Control Channels that the COS/EPSO system switched over to in the upgrade.

You will unfortunately need to buy a newer digital scanner in order to track talkgroups.

Phil.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
gonserg said:
I have a Uniden BC296D, and also need to hold on a single frequency. Thought it was the radio, but Colorado State Patrol system is ok. In my case, the control channel and "active" frequency want to flip back and fourth during conversations
Try a different control channel on the COS/EPSO system and see if it has the same issue. If so you may need to adjust the digital sound quality for the P25 card.

Other possibilities for this type of behaviour are co-channel interference or the squelch set too high and is cutting the received signal out.

Phil.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
mcp54 said:
Thank you Mark. FiremanBob and I spoke a couple of years ago, but I lost his telephone number. This is when the BC785D was new. This is a big deal for me, I've wasted too much time already.

Email don@dons-electronics.com ...

Again, this is very much appreciated. I saw some flaming in another thread for El Paso County and that was so much out of character for this group.

I appreciate this very much. Thanks - Don

Sorry to say the 785D won't work with a P25 system and 9600 baud control channels.

Jim<

mcp54

Problem Found

Thank you for the replies... I found my mistake. I have a BCD996T and a BCD396. With the conversion, I failed to change the system to straight APCO 25.

The scanners were set for Motorola Type 2 800 MHz Standard. I had to manually change to the APCO 25. I don't know if your database that is loaded with ARC396 makes the change indicating the system. I found the problem by loading the State of Colorado system, then searching.

I hope this helps others struggling to convert. I'll P.M. talkgroups to you as discovered.

Cheers

gonserg

Thanx Phil For Your Thoughts On My Bc296d Problem In El Paso County. I Adjusted The Sound Quality To A Good Setting. Still Have The Problem. I Tried Different Towers Sites With No Luck (i Hope This Is What You Meant By Trying Different Control Channels). Would Everyone Have Co Channel Interference Or Would This Be My Location In Monument? My Scanner Is On Type 2 / Apco 25 800 I Think This Is The Correct System. Also Tried Adj. Schelch. Any Other Settings To Be Made? Sorry For All The Questions, Just A Little Frustrated...........i Appreciate Your Help. Gary

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
gonserg said:
Thanx Phil For Your Thoughts On My Bc296d Problem In El Paso County. I Adjusted The Sound Quality To A Good Setting. Still Have The Problem. I Tried Different Towers Sites With No Luck (i Hope This Is What You Meant By Trying Different Control Channels). Would Everyone Have Co Channel Interference Or Would This Be My Location In Monument? My Scanner Is On Type 2 / Apco 25 800 I Think This Is The Correct System. Also Tried Adj. Schelch. Any Other Settings To Be Made? Sorry For All The Questions, Just A Little Frustrated...........i Appreciate Your Help. Gary
You don't have any El Paso County sites that close to you in Monument to cause any co-channel problems. For that matter there aren't any DTRS sites that close, either. There are 2 cell towers on top of Monument Hill. If you're close to them, you may have a problem.
For Monument, the only sites I would concern myself with are Black Forest, Stanley Canyon and Austin Bluffs. All the others are probably too far away. I was in Monument today, and it seemed that Stanley Canyon had 99% of the traffic.

gonserg

Thanks Bob. I am on the Stanley Canyon tower, but I am still having the same problem with conversations cutting in and out. The scanner keeps wanting to go back to the control channel during transmissions. Actually it will flip flop beween the active frequency and the control frequency. Any thoughts? Anyone. P.S. bc296d....sound quality seems good, squelch good, strong signal, correct frequencies. Any special settings etc.... tahnks Gary

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
gonserg said:
Thanks Bob. I am on the Stanley Canyon tower, but I am still having the same problem with conversations cutting in and out. The scanner keeps wanting to go back to the control channel during transmissions. Actually it will flip flop beween the active frequency and the control frequency. Any thoughts? Anyone. P.S. bc296d....sound quality seems good, squelch good, strong signal, correct frequencies. Any special settings etc.... tahnks Gary

You should only have the control channels and maybe the alternate programmed in, nothing more. Then the radio control channel trunks for you, give that a try.

Jim<

gonserg

Jim, I scanned all 11 tower sites with cc only,with no luck.Everything was fine until new e.p. county system came on line. I have even tried all plans under my control channel settings 1-4. Why does my colorado state patrol trunk system work, but not el paso county? Do you know of anyone else with the bc296d having problems? Sorry for all my problems, and I appreciate you guys trying to help. gry

RFsponge

296D / 796D settings

Can I get confirmation on these settings for my radios for the new system? Your help is much appreciated.

-Type 2 APCO 25 800MHz

-Activity ID: OFF

-I Call: OFF

-CC Only Mode: PLAN 1

-Status Bit: ON

-End of Tone: DETECT

Thanks again!
Rob

Last edited:

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
This is why I so much prefer the Pro-96 to the Unidens. There aren't all these settings to get confused with.

homeless

I have the same BC296D issue

gonserg said:
Jim, I scanned all 11 tower sites with cc only,with no luck.Everything was fine until new e.p. county system came on line. I have even tried all plans under my control channel settings 1-4. Why does my colorado state patrol trunk system work, but not el paso county? Do you know of anyone else with the bc296d having problems? Sorry for all my problems, and I appreciate you guys trying to help. gry

LOL.....Your NOT alone....... :)

I am experiancing the same issues with mine as well. The control channel is indicating full signal strength and the transmissions are intermittent only on the EL Paso system. The State system works fine. I emailed Uniden TECH support and asked for any ideas they may have on what might be causing this issue.

wish I could help, I have a 996, and after plugging in the new freqs and talk groups I'm up and running without a glitch. In fact the noise is far less and the voice quality it far better than I recieved on the old system.

Let me know if I can hekp. The settings listed above are what I have.

ED

homeless

Did Colorado Springs Change to the State DTRS system?

singlechannelcrystal said:
wish I could help, I have a 996, and after plugging in the new freqs and talk groups I'm up and running without a glitch. In fact the noise is far less and the voice quality it far better than I recieved on the old system.

Let me know if I can hekp. The settings listed above are what I have.

ED

Sorry,
I have been out of the loop for a while.

Is Colorado Springs/El Paso County switching over to the DTRS State wide Colorado system? I see their frequencies and TG ID's posted on the State of Colorado DTRS listing here on this site.

That would be cool....... :)

Thanks!
Dave

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
homeless said:
Sorry,
I have been out of the loop for a while.

Is Colorado Springs/El Paso County switching over to the DTRS State wide Colorado system? I see their frequencies and TG ID's posted on the State of Colorado DTRS listing here on this site.

That would be cool....... :)

Thanks!
Dave

Not for at least a year, please see the numerous other threads on this topic.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.