Dem Convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0co_5

DPD Chief just on Ch2 news explaining how they will staff up using forces from neighboring cities. Interoperability? Should be interesting to see how it unfolds.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Sounds like a job for the Network First talk groups! :)

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
k0co_5 said:
DPD Chief just on Ch2 news explaining how they will staff up using forces from neighboring cities.
The wording gives the impression of military force needed to patrol the area. A downtown "green zone"?

There goes neighboring agencies public safety budgets for 2008. I seriously doubt Denver is going to compensate.

Phil.

RFsponge

Boston 2004

"Green Zone" probably isn't too far off. All the fringe elements of our society who love testing boundries vs. a law enforcement community bringing in what they believe is necessary force to keep the peace. The First Ammendment simultaenously at it's best and worst and it's all going to be concentrated in downtown Denver.

Like I said in another post, it ought to be a hoot!

Rob

Attachments

• democonventioncops290704.jpg
    democonventioncops290704.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 251
  • bostonpd_02_large.jpg
    bostonpd_02_large.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Boston-Cameras-Crime19nov05.jpg
    Boston-Cameras-Crime19nov05.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 251
  • 050622_flagburn_hmed1p_hlarge.jpg
    050622_flagburn_hmed1p_hlarge.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 248
  • untitled.bmp
    95 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

n0doz

I've been keeping up on political issues the last couple of years... the democrats (and the cops) are indeed going to have their hands full at this convention. The demos pandered to the far left fringe groups pre-2006 election, promising all sorts of things to gain the fringe's support. Now it's payback time, and the party leaders in congress are not prepared to do what these groups expect. In years past, campaign promises were something of a joke; this time around, the fringe expects everything they were promised and then some. Example: did you see how the fringies, led by prime nutcase Cindy Sheehan, interrupted dem congressman Rahm Emmanuel's press conference? They weren't even waiting to see what the dems would do before demanding the above-mentioned payback.
What's this mean for us? Well, don't expect the dem congress to do anything beyond yap at the president. This will, in turn, cause the fringies to go bananas - and what better place to show their anger than at the convention? My personal estimation is that 2008 will look like a combo of the dem con in Boston, the Seattle WTO and any other riots you may wish to add.
In other words, holy s***!

RFsponge

Know your foe!

A great source of signals intelligence on all this is "Free Speech TV," (which is anything but if a conservative wants a say) on Comcast (Channel 59 in Denver) or Dish Network (Channel 9415? - I think that's right) Always good for a laugh, but valuble insight into the warped minds on the far-far left. Lots of wacky public access video production and glorification of causes that... I can't find the words... defy classification! True-blue Democrats are not included in this description, nor would they be welcome in their camp...

Anyway, when plans are hatched for the dismantling of Denver, you'll see it on FSTV first! Or maybe second after the internet.

Whatever happens, it won't be boring!

Rob

ruckuss

Anarchists

I wouldn't apply a "far left" label to the protesters. My understanding is that they want no rules or benefits from government. That would put them at the top of the diamond.

Attachments

• diamond.png
    diamond.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 211

RFsponge

And so it begins...

Sorry, but Libertarians (wether you use a big "L" or a little "l" to describe their political views) are not anarchists. Anarchists, by the very definition of the word, do not fit inside your chart. Libertarians do not go around smashing store windows and burning down ski resort buildings or SUV dealerships and start fires in retail stores and show up at Democratic (or Republican for that matter) National Conventions carrying gas masks to advance a libertarian cause or promote the Libertarian Party. No, not all anarchists engage in or condone such acts, but all who do ARE anarchists. Anarchists want the absense of law and order in a society and don't care if the rights of others are violated to get there. Libertarians want government reduced to it's constitutional foundations. To roll back the size and cost of government and eliminate laws that stifle the economy and control people’s personal choices. This philosophy does NOT promote the absence of law and order nor does it seek to elminate personal freedoms.

Probably moved out of the RR realm here, but oh well! Moderators: Do what you must!

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
I was told this weekend that Denver plans to have ESK on by the time the convention comes around.. Does anyone else have some insight on this?

I guess we will see if that happens...

vcorlone

I am wondering if the current Radio System that Denver has with be compatable w/ the Digital system that the state has, so we won't have another columbine where the radio system could not comuicate w/ each other. This is a very major event for this State & City.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
The Denver system and DTRS are connected using a Network First switch and there are several talk groups that are programmed into all public safety radios on both systems to allow interoperability in between the systems.

RFsponge

ESK Update

k0pwo said:
I was told this weekend that Denver plans to have ESK on by the time the convention comes around.. Does anyone else have some insight on this?

I guess we will see if that happens...

After a brief conversation with a very nice engineer at the EEB this morning, I can give you a "definate maybe" for an answer. They are going to try, but simply too soon to know if it's going to happen. They have more pressing issues right now with rebanding and negotiations with Nextel in that regard have hit a snag.

In my totally amaturish, outsider opinion, I would say that the more things get backed up and delayed, especially with the Nextel thing, the more unlikely ESK activation will be by the time the convention arrives.

Stay tuned!
Rob

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
ESK it the DEVIL!!!!! :evil: Even if Denver stays analog.... (unlikely) our scanners will not be able to monitor the system.

Feature Provides Additional Protection to Restrict Programming, Eavesdropping and Unauthorized Transmission

IWCE 2002, LAS VEGAS, April 24, 2002 - M/A-COM, Inc. a unit of Tyco Electronics and a leading manufacturer of critical radio systems deployed around the world, today announced availability of the Enhanced Digital Access Communications System (EDACS) Security Key (ESK) to provide heightened security on EDACS and ProVoice radio systems. This new feature provides additional protection against eavesdropping and unauthorized transmissions on critical communications systems.

"Security is a key part of any critical communications system and it is a feature that can’t be overlooked," said Dennis Maddox, Manager of Systems and Infrastructure, M/A-COM. "Any security breach on a system compromises its effectiveness and that of the public safety professionals that rely on it. EDACS ESK meets that security need by allowing users to define a security code that limits access to the system."

Using EDACS ESK, each customer is able to define a unique security code for radio products and site equipment. In the event that the codes do not match, calls will not be received or sent between the two.

Interoperability and Compatibility
In emergency situations that require immediate interoperability, the ESK function can be temporarily disabled by the Communications System Director (CSD) to allow communications with EDACS radios that do not support ESK or have a different ESK stored.

Setting Authorization
The ESK security code is set by the system administrator and stored on a "smart card." The administrator can set two levels of authorization -Administrator, which allows the user to read/write radio personalities and interface with the Communications Systems Director (CSD), and User, which only allows radio personality read/write. Each security code is loaded into the radio equipment using the radio PC ProGrammer software.

All radios within an Integrated Multisite and Console Controller (IMC) region must have the ESK feature enabled with the correct programming in order to be utilized in that region. Once the CSD activates the ESK feature, any radios with incorrect programming are not able to receive or transmit calls.

The EDACS ESK feature is compatible with the following products:
• Portables - LPE-200, M-RK and Jaguar
• Mobiles - EDACS 500M, Orion and Jaguar
• Site equipment - SitePro/Site Interface Module (SIM) or GETC/Site Controller
• Network equipment - Communications System Director (CSD)

Last edited:

n4voxgill

Silent Key
The department of defense will provide all the money that is needed to permit the various agencies involved to communicate. If additional equipment is needed for one time use, then DOD will probide the equipment. They also provide technicians and any computer equipment needed. I was the comm manager for a major event that DOD that supported and was really surprised at how well they responded. They even gave me all of the additional frequenceis that I requested and said more were available. We got a million dollars just to remodel a space to set up a temporary command center. We designed the space so it would be a training center after the event at no costs to the city at all.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
cstockmyer said:
Dumb question time, What is ESK?
In simple terms it modifies data "words" on an EDACS control channel by a set level. A "Key" set in the radio gives it the data offset info in order to properly decode the modified control channel data. Your scanner acts brain dead as it does not recognize the offset control channel data.

It's an electronic way to give the public the middle finger.

Thanks go out to the asshat's with ebay obtained radios that thought it would be kewl to progam up to transmit and start crap on several systems including Denver over the years.

Phil.

cstockmyer

scanlist said:
In simple terms it modifies data "words" on an EDACS control channel by a set level. A "Key" set in the radio gives it the data offset info in order to properly decode the modified control channel data. Your scanner acts brain dead as it does not recognize the offset control channel data.

It's an electronic way to give the public the middle finger.

Thanks go out to the asshat's with ebay obtained radios that thought it would be kewl to progam up to transmit and start crap on several systems including Denver over the years.

Phil.

So basically it's a big step on the way of DPD Deciding who can listen to them? Or going back to that I should say.

In any case, Thank you Phil for making that easy er to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.