Digital TV tower construction begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFsponge

With all the hurdles cleared and the President's signature on the Bill, the heavy equipment is moving on Lookout Mountain!

You wouldn't think they were in a hurry or anything. There's three feet of snow up there!

Rob

Attachments

• HPIM2291.jpg
    HPIM2291.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 469

cristisphoto

Cool Pic
IF this is related to the 2009 deadline of ALL Television carrriers to be FULLY digital
then all I can say is if ya cant afford
a Dig Tv OR a Converter then ya better find you another
form of
Entertainment:roll:

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
cristisphoto said:
Cool Pic
IF this is related to the 2009 deadline of ALL Television carrriers to be FULLY digital
then all I can say is if ya cant afford
form of

You mean like actually doing something OUTDOORS and PHYSICAL?? But that would go against America's track record of becoming the "biggest" country in the world, and I'm not talking about land area . . .

cristisphoto

captaincraig44 said:
You mean like actually doing something OUTDOORS and PHYSICAL?? But that would go against America's track record of becoming the "biggest" country in the world, and I'm not talking about land area . . .

So true
So Very True

cristisphoto

captaincraig44 said:

So true
So Very True

KB9LMJ

cristisphoto said:
if ya cant afford
form of

Tell me there isn't something going on behind the scenes there. :roll: Mandated HD requiring converters or upgrades, in other words $$$$$ from us to pad someone's pockets again. Wonder when HD radio will become mandatory...

Just my 2 cents.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Satellite TV and The Evil Cable Company will still have old school analog NTSC after the over the airs stop NTSC broadcasts.

How long depends on "the market".

HD radio=Same cookie cutter corporate crap music formats with 25 HD commercials per hour. And the receivers cost $100+ minimum for a crap desktop radio. Good luck finding a HD radio anywhere too.

Phil.

Edited by me cause somebody read the message before I added the rant about HD.
Gee next thing you know this message board will say I flushed the toilet while I was composing a message.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
scanlist said:
HD radio=Same cookie cutter corporate crap music formats with 25 HD commercials per hour. And the receivers cost $100+ minimum for a crap desktop radio. Good luck finding a HD radio anywhere too.

No one listened to kosi during the holiday season?

They had a constant commercial along with their constant Merry music :lol: of Santa advertising HD radio at, non other than Radio Shack. :lol:

Here I sit same as ever. Took a dump pulls the level. The toilet clogged., the water flowed. LOOK out world its a mother load! :lol: HD style.​

Last edited:

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
poltergeisty said:
they had a constant commercial along with their constant Merry music of Santa advertising HD radio at, non other than Radio Shack.
That's the $100+ crap desktop radio I was talking about. No line outs to hook up to a good amp or even a headphone jack. Don't want anyone possibly making digital copies of tunes off of the radio now. (Thanks recording industry)

Phil.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Triple the price you guys were talking but I've found the Boston Acoustics Recepter Radio® HD to be pretty good for the HD signals.

Jim<

Last edited:

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
That Boston sounds pretty darn good...

I love COMERCIALS in HD! It's the best...

SCPD

QRT
I have this:

http://www.123radios.com/BuyItNow.asp?PID=1312

It does have line outs, no digital out.

BTW, for education purposes, the HD in HD radio is a trademark and does not mean High Def. Some say it stands for Hybrid Digital.

It's because it can co-exist with the analog signal in the same spectral mask. The AM HD signal has to be turned off at night though.

The sound quality is good, but is not CD quality like some advertise. The extra channels are nice too. If the analog ever gets turned off (many, many years from now because there is no reason to mandate it) they can increase the digital bandwidth and have even better sound quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd_radio

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
If I wanted commercials ("HD" or not) I wouldn't have bought my XM. Except for one syndicated radio show carried locally, and local baseball games, I NEVER listen to commercial radio anymore.

SCPD

QRT
firescannerbob said:
If I wanted commercials ("HD" or not) I wouldn't have bought my XM. Except for one syndicated radio show carried locally, and local baseball games, I NEVER listen to commercial radio anymore.

I have XM too, but my only complaint is that they use so much compression that music sounds like crap.

KB9LMJ

Okay, here's showing my (young) age. How many of you remember Ramsey Kits? What is the difference between HD radio and SCA kits that Ramsey sells. Years back, I had an SCA decoder as a kid and used to listen to (mostly crap) the elevator music in stores, the broadcasts stations that health clubs used to use, and other stuff. It was fun to build and fun to listen "between the bands." I obviously don't have the kit anymore or I would have answered my own question. But isn't HD radio the same thing as SCA encoding?

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=SCA1C

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/radio/sca.html

http://www.radiosca.com/sca-radio.html

http://www.hdradio.com/how_does_hd_digital_radio_work.php

SCPD

QRT
It's similar, but HD is a brand new type of digital "sub carrier" that fits into the license holder&#8217;s spectrum. On FM, logical channel 1 has the same content as the analog channel. Then (if they are using it), logical channel 2 is new content that is usually commercial free.

For instance, ALICE has a full time comedy channel on their channel 2.

These 2nd logical channels are only being licensed experimentally right now, but it will probably become the norm. The stations like this part of HD.

AM does not have the bandwidth available for 2 logical channels and they have to turn off the HD at night, but when HD is on it can be in stereo and you don't have the usual AM noise to deal with.

Last edited:

KB9LMJ

Wow, very interesting. So it's basically a digital version of SCA then? Excuse my comparison, but it's like how a DC carrier gets clamped over AC high tension lines for the purpose of network feedback. Or in radio terms, a digital version of a PL tone? You're on frequency, but you have a carrier either above or below that sends the HD programming.

SCPD

QRT
Basically that's right. Even regular analog FM has several sub-carriers around the main carrier. There's the main (L+R channels) carrier, the stereo (L-R channel; used with L+R to generate L & R) sub-carrier, the 19 kHz pilot tone sub-carrier used to tell the receivers that the L-R signal is there and turn on the "stereo" indicator. Then there is the RBS sub-carrier used to transmit text about the station and/or song and display it on the radio.

I think most of the SCA sub-carriers are gone now.

Basically there is a lot of extra space in an FM channel that can be used for all these extra carriers. The down side for the analog carriers is that having extra carriers does cause distortion. That's where the term inter-modulation distortion or "inter-mod" comes from. Although in the two-way radio world it has come to mean any undesired mix of frequencies that causes interference and it can come from unrelated channels.

HD is another sub-carrier that is using digital modulation instead of analog and the nice thing is that once it&#8217;s decoded, it's a discrete channel/channels that is not affected by the other carriers. I'm amazed at how much distortion there is on a conventional FM channel, now that I have heard HD FM. HD does sound much better, but I still wouldn't go as far as to say its CD quality like some are saying. They probably just don't have discerning ears (-:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.