Question for CO 996 users

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I think I have finally reached the point I want to be with my 996. However, with all the good people resources here, I would be remiss in not looking for outside suggestions on my system set-up. With that said, I spend a large amount of time on the road during the week all over the state, so my set-up reflects that.

So, here's what I do with my systems currently:
  • The receiver is programmed/run by ARC996 (wonderful) on a touchscreen Panasonic PDRC mounted within arms reach, which allows the scanner to be mounted in the rear of the cab. No buttons to fumble with while driving!
  • Most of the monitored systems are GPS controlled (Aero, Air Medical and Wildfire systems are not). Metro DTRS sites are ususally assigned a 10 mile radius, while rural DTRS sites are assigned 20 or 30 mile radiuses. On non-DTRS systems, I find the geophysical center of that city/county and assign a radius large enough to cover that city / county.
  • All DTRS systems organized by CSP Troop number. This makes organization and QK assignment easier for me and when comparing to my site list (organized the same way) its easier to assign sites.
  • Group keys in metro areas are 1 for S/Os, PDs, CSP and MAC, 2 for FDs, 3 for misc law / search and rescue, etc. Group keys in rural areas are typically consolidated (as there are ususally fewer TGs), so everything Public Safety-wise is in GK 1
  • At another member's suggestion, I use 0 for Hold and 2 for Delay
  • I have done the AGC keypad mod (originally for the 396) and it seems to work well
What this all does is give me automatic adds/deletes when I drive into or out of various jusrisdictions. Am I missing anything or are there just general suggestions?

And last but not least, without sounding like I'm "polishing someone's apple", none of this would have been possible without you and Radio Reference!

Thanks!

n0nhp

My 996T is used mostly as a base scanner with a few site logging / finding / monitoring mobile excursions.
I have to agree that the ARC996 software is the way to go. It allows ID searching while locking out certain unwanted IDs and recording / auto volume up and alert tone on particular interest IDs.

I just finished getting the whole state system as it is currently configured with coordinates into a profile. At home I use a profile with only the sites I can hear and with only 5 groups that have the IDs that I have actually heard or are of particular interest in the unknown file. This keeps upload time to a minimum as new IDs are identified and placed in the proper groups.

I have not quite figured out how I want to do the ID groups when I go mobile so your suggestion is welcome.

I have not found the audio AGC to be a problem so have not tried that mod.

And as usual, if you ask 20 users of a particular radio you will get twenty answers on how to use it.

Bruce

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
n0nhp said:
And as usual, if you ask 20 users of a particular radio you will get twenty answers on how to use it.

Bruce

I'm counting on that.:lol: I guess part of my goal here is to share set-up type info between 996 users

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.