• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ham vs Commercial Antennas for Handheld Scanner Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

lars128

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on comparing tuned commercial handheld antennas (Larsen, Antenex, Comtelco, etc) vs 144/440 ham antennas for scanning use. I'm asking because I noticed in some of the Strong Signals reviews some of the ham antennas can be a little dead in the 152-160 and 450-470 areas, the areas I'm most interested in. Obviously, a tuned antenna will fix that, but will an antenna tuned for 150 or 460 MHz not pick up other bands well? Are tuned antennas one tick ponies or can they scan more than one band like the ham antennas? If so, does anybody have any good suggestions for what to check out?

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on comparing tuned commercial handheld antennas (Larsen, Antenex, Comtelco, etc) vs 144/440 ham antennas for scanning use. I'm asking because I noticed in some of the Strong Signals reviews some of the ham antennas can be a little dead in the 152-160 and 450-470 areas, the areas I'm most interested in. Obviously, a tuned antenna will fix that, but will an antenna tuned for 150 or 460 MHz not pick up other bands well? Are tuned antennas one tick ponies or can they scan more than one band like the ham antennas? If so, does anybody have any good suggestions for what to check out?

the Diamond RH77CA is a ham antenna and works well on a wider freq range. in other words more broadbanded. It depends on the style of antenna. a 1/4 wave antenna is more broadbanded and less gain vs a 5/8 wave is more narrowbanded with gain on tuned freqs.

Eric Burris kc0ldt

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I can tell you that from my experience, an commercial antenna tuned to the band you want is the best way to go if you are having reception problems. This has been the case for me in both NMO mobile mounted and hand held antennas. The Diamond RH 77A is a great antenna as well. That is my second choice after commercial stuff.

Manny

hdralleiii

Feed Provider
Commercial antennas, tuned to a specific band will probably net you the best band-for-band results since they are tuned for a much smaller spectrum, and some can be purchased tuned to an exact frequency if necessary. I have used these over the years for several reasons, but mostly for monitoring railroads. My favorite "wideband" antenna is the Diamond SRH77CA (SMA connector) or the RH77CA BNC equivalent. They perform VERY well throughout the all the bands and about equal to a stock antenna on 800 stuff. They are a bit long but for Airband, VHF High and even UHF, they are hard to beat! If you are going to listen to a bunch of 800Mhz traffic, I would look at some of the offerings from Antenex. The 2.5db 1/2-wave portable antenna they sell is great!

James04TJ

I am not sure that you are going to notice much of a difference on a handheld. At a fixed install though there is no comparison between commercial and amateur. I will take a DB224 for 2 meters any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.