• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need Help Identifying This Antenna !

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVAC810

This FHP Trooper had a round "pancake" type antenna on his car. It measured about 5-6" in diameter and was raised off the trunk about 1-1.5"
It was black in color...
Check the attached photo :)
Thanks,
Tim Granger

Attachments

• !cid_399.jpg
    !cid_399.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 5,391

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm betting KDT (keyed data terminal) of some kind...rather too large for a GPS Best Regards...Mike

W2NJS

I run a similar UHF antenna on the roof of my Outback. Mine has a claimed 3db gain and works very well. I no longer hear the whip hitting the sprinkler pipes when I'm in a parking garage. Most of the commercial manufacturers make these units.

methusaleh

Antenex and Maxrad make versions of that, along with many other companies I would imagine.

Personally I prefer the more "miniature soda can" shaped vertical, like the black one in the photo, for UHF. They too have claimed 3dB of gain.

An agency I worked for had the pancake style ones for UHF (analog voice) on some cruisers. When we got rid of them and went to good ol' simple 1/4 wave whips (like our 1990s-era cruisers had), there seemed to be unanimously much better signal strength. While this is my opinion based on my observations, I know I was not imagining it in some places that had been complete dead zones with the pancake style antenna.

Tech792

My agency uses a pancake antenna about that size. Its a dual band antenna that houses both GPS and cellular for the mobile computers.( If I remember correctly,its 1900 mhz and 890 mhz)

gtriever

Premium Subscriber
Too large for GPS/Cell; definitely a UHF model. Here's a link:

Larsen Mirage

Edited to add: Also, IMO, not worth a darn unless used at low power. We've seen too many burn out. Stick with the 1/4 waves if you need a small antenna.

Last edited:

W2NJS

W2NJS, got a source for us ? Tnx !!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My source is Comtelco. The UHF units are about $35 on a factory-direct order, and claim a 3db gain. They mount on an NMO setup. Check the Comtelco catalog; you have to specify a UHF range when ordering.

http://comtelco.net/PDF/A2543B.PDF

mformby

The center antenna is a 700/800 MHz antenna. The pancake is probably data and gps. The fiberglas antennas like the one in the center of the trunk have a small PC board in them which gives them a specific "electrical" frequency. They do not work as well as the equivalent quarter wave, even though they advertise a 3db gain. I called Antenna, Inc. and talked to an engineer. He said that was a 3db gain over isotropic, which means basically outer space. I tried the UHF version compared to a 6" quarter wave on our Trident UHF trunked radio system which requires a radio to be logged on to the system sorta like a cellular phone does. I drove to a marginal area, removed the quarter wave and replaced it with the so called 3db gain mobile and it never logged on. I removed it and reinstalled the quarter wave antenna and it logged on. Bottom line is the better at on third the price.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Gonna go with a combo gps/cellular. Our city police service use somthing that resembles that.

Status
Not open for further replies.