RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Commercial Radio Antennas

Commercial Radio Antennas - Please keep discussion related to professional, commercially used antennas and antenna systems for the two-way radio industry. Topics for the use of these antennas on amateur bands are accepted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Mobile Antenna to Base Kits - MBC800 & MBC both of which have radials which work as the ground plane. I have used one of these for a few years indoors and it works very well except I had to go back to a Yagi due to Simulcast Distortion on our new P25 system.

Last edited by W8RMH; 07-21-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2016, 5:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

havent read the thread yet, but:

1. State of NM is using them on a lot of new installs. Usually splitting the 700/800 one direction and the VHF the other direction. Saves the roof space on vehicles, less install time, less holes in the vehicle.

2. My issued vehicle the last few months i was there had one split between the 110 watt VHF mobile and a vehicle charger/amplifier for my 800mhz portable. No complaints.

3. I've seen some state police vehicles with two of them. Not sure the internal configuration. Also some state IT vehicles have one or two that i've seen.
Old 06-03-2018, 6:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Anyone try the PCTel Wide Spectrum Multiband Antenna | PCTWSLMR? Motorola repackages it for their APX8500 mobile.

PCTEL
Old 06-10-2018, 9:26 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr View Post
Anyone try the PCTel Wide Spectrum Multiband Antenna | PCTWSLMR? Motorola repackages it for their APX8500 mobile.

PCTEL
We have one installed on our fire apparatus, attached to an APX8500. While we are only using the UHF and VHF bands, it seems to perform extremely well. Just as the Laird antenna, it is huge. I would never mount one to my personal vehicle, but for a fire apparatus it does not look out of place.
Old 06-10-2018, 9:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks. They do a good job of hiding the size of those things in the brochures! Too good to be true.

-JR
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2018, 10:39 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Thanks. They do a good job of hiding the size of those things in the brochures! Too good to be true.

-JR
Absolutely! It is extremely deceiving until you actually get your hands on one. Even the radio techs were surprised with its size. This happened to be one of there first APX8500 installs, so it was new to all of us.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

-JR

I haven't tried the PCTel, though that was on my list. I went with the Laird. And while yes, the base is big, it's not out of control unruly or anything, to be honest. Definitely bigger than they make it look in the brochure, but still not bad. ha ha! The 20" or so length helps things too.

I'm out of town currently, but I'll get a picture of it on my car when I get back. It really doesn't look bad.