RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Commercial Radio Antennas

Commercial Radio Antennas - Please keep discussion related to professional, commercially used antennas and antenna systems for the two-way radio industry. Topics for the use of these antennas on amateur bands are accepted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Laird VHF/UHF/700/800 Mobile - Experiences?

Hello ladies and gents,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Laird VHF/UHF/700/800 Antenna? Claims 3dBi VHF and 6dBi UHF. Does it live up to it?
Laird Tech WPD136M6C-001 [WPD136M6C-001] - $89.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

Starting to finish up the install on my Impala LS. I'm down to antenna choices. I'm trying to keep the total antennas down to a minimum, which is rough being both a ham and a emergency responder.

Thanks all!
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM

I haven't used one yet, but I have seen them at the trade shows. The bases are monsters, probably 2 inches in diameter. I would be very nervous about mounting this on top of a vehicle. There would be much damage if it met with a low branch or parking garage. Trunk mount is about the most I'd do.

The price is better than I expected. I haven't seen these for sale before, and when I asked the guy at the show, his reply was that they were in keeping with the higher prices of the radios they connect to. $90 is cheaper than I expected. I was expecting to see these in the $200 range.

I'm interested to hear of any personal experience with these antennas as well. From the specs, looks like unity gain on VHF, 3db gain everywhere else. Unless I had a true try-band mobile radio, I'd think it would be better to stick with at least a dual band VHF/UHF and a dedicated 700/800MHz antenna to reduce combiner losses.
Old 04-11-2012, 4:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I haven't used one yet, but I have seen them at the trade shows. The bases are monsters, probably 2 inches in diameter.
Ouch. That's probably gonna rule it out for me then. Gotta look good too. :-) Probably just go with my original plan. Thanks man!
Old 04-11-2012, 4:44 PM

I agree. Neat antenna looking at the specs, but when you are holding one in your hand, you start to have second thoughts.
Old 04-11-2012, 7:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Laird, if I'm not mistaken, had bought out Cushcraft before MFJ bought Cushcraft from them.
Old 04-11-2012, 8:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have one on the top of my Explorer and it works really well. I was a little concerned about the VHF performance at first, but it works just as well as a 19" quarter wave in the same location talking to a my repeater 30 miles away. I haven't found a multi-band mobile combiner that does VHF, UHF, and 700/800 that I like to really take advantage of the bandsplits, but I have tried it in all the bands individually and everyone worked fine as compared to a 1/4 wave on each band.

You can't use an L bracket or any other creative aftermarket mount. It has to be an NMO on flat metal (trunk or roof) and yes you need some good steel around it as it isn't really flexable at all.

Laird is supposed to be coming out with a compliment combiner that will match the antenna. I haven't looked lately if one is available, but seperately I give it 9 out of 10 stars for those that need to listen to multi-bands and limited for antenna locations or height.
Old 04-11-2012, 9:32 PM

That is good to hear. Any issues with wind noise, as in noticeably louder than a standard quarter wave?
Old 04-12-2012, 4:40 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not that I can tell.
Old 04-13-2012, 6:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS4VT View Post
Not that I can tell.
But is the base really that big?? 2in??
Old 04-13-2012, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2MJR View Post
But is the base really that big?? 2in??
Indeed. Dimensions 2.5" Round Base, 20" tall.
Old 04-13-2012, 8:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardogg View Post
Indeed. Dimensions 2.5" Round Base, 20" tall.
That's wicked. Then again, if the performance matches the above report, it may be worth it. Even sans aestetics.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 AM

just bought one a while back not impressed at all my quarter wave uhf does way better not impressed one bit i have been looking for a good dual band antenna for years and havent found one so i thought i would try this one swr reading is goood but performance is not anything to brag about. just my two cents
Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 PM

The bases fill with water pretty easily. Looks like the O-ring on the threaded rod at the top of the base is to blame. I've got ~500 deployed right now and have had 5 or so come back already.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Not impressed

I bought one when they first came out and have only used it on UHF/VHF. I mounted it right smack in the middle of the roof of my pickup truck and was very unimpressed with the results I was getting, as far as reception and transmission distances, compared to other antennas and even quarter wave whips. I don't use 700/800 Mhz, but I bought this for the shorter length and advertised gain on VHF and UHF. I was very disappointed.

The base on it is quite fat, but that's the tradeoff for having a shorter whip and broadband use, I suppose. I kept mine mounted for a week or so, then ditched it to the pile of other antennas in my garage.

These are just my anecdotal opinions and observations, so take them for what they are worth.
Old 08-14-2012, 3:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

I wonder how come Antenna Farm is selling it for so cheap? The list price is 169.95... and most places are selling it for near that... Amazon is like $134.

Are they selling a slightly different version? Seems like AF would be taking a really big loss on those.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM

again like i said earlier PLEASE save yourself the money this antenna isnt worth five bucks let alone 69.99 i have tried it in VHF and UHF it is an extremly poor performer in the vhf band and also equally as dissapointing in uhf i honestly have better luck with an 18" quarter wave on vhf/uhf bands
Old 08-26-2012, 3:07 AM

I installed quite a few of these for a state contract.

Very picky about mounts, and SWR was hard to get nailed down on all bands...

Tried one on an L bracket and it was HORRIBLE, had to fab up some mounting platforms..

Old 09-22-2012, 5:16 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
I wonder how come Antenna Farm is selling it for so cheap? The list price is 169.95... and most places are selling it for near that... Amazon is like $134.

Are they selling a slightly different version? Seems like AF would be taking a really big loss on those.
He buys his antennas from Tessco and then resells them. I can get them for $96 each under my account, and I'm not a dealer.....just a fairly small customer. Given the amount of volume he purchases from them, he likely gets a much better price, hence the seemingly deep discount.

Laird Technologies WPD136M6C-001 Multi Band Mobile Antenna | TESSCO
Old 07-21-2016, 2:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Could this base conversion mount be used on the antenna?
This would be for receive only. (scanner)

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalo...-ngp-7529.html

Old 07-21-2016, 8:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigmoe View Post
Could this base conversion mount be used on the antenna?
This would be for receive only. (scanner)

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalo...-ngp-7529.html
Not very well. That is for antenna that have their own ground plane. You need something that provides a ground plane for best reception.