• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Low-profile VHF mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to decide what type of antenna to install on my car. I will be purchasing a Kenwood TK-7360HV.

The majority of my transmit frequencies will be around 151 MHz and receive frequencies around 155 MHz, but I also wish to add a couple 2M ham repeaters.

My car is a "sporty" Nissan Altima and don't want a long, ugly antenna, even though I know it would be a better performer. I've got a nice 4 foot long antenna for my truck, but I don't want it on my car.

Basically what I'm asking here is what is my best compromise? What antenna would be recommended for my needs?

n5ims

Try a standard quarter wave antenna. Those are fairly wideband and may cover your frequency range OK. The length should only be about 18" or so, which should make it much more "sporty" than that 4' one you have on your truck. They do make some "low profile" antennas, but they generally have rather poor performance and a quite narrow frequency range.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

I use a Comet B-6 -- about 6 in long -- for 144/440. A lip mount on the SUV can hardly be seen at any distance. Around here about 30 mi coverage with the Yaesu FT-8800R... and I can pull the car into the garage without first taking the antenna off the mount. HTH.

prcguy

I bought 2 Laird low profile VHF can antennas to try out and they are a little disappointing. Definitely down some in performance compared to a 1/4 wave whip and very narrow band at about 2MHz max. They will not cover 155MHz and 2m at the same time and will not even cover the entire 2m band.
prcguy

W2NJS

My personal experience with VHF phantom-type antennas is that their usable bandwidth for transmitting is very small, like about 1 mHz. Some are a bit wider but the range is still quite narrow compared to a wire antenna.

SCPD

QRT
B-6?

... I use a Comet B-6 -- about 6 in long -- for 144/440. A lip mount on the SUV can hardly be seen at any distance. Around here about 30 mi coverage with the Yaesu FT-8800R... and I can pull the car into the garage without first taking the antenna off the mount. HTH.

Sorry, I'm not finding this antenna with Google. Is it a B-10?

To the OP, I recommend a 1/4 wave. Get a black one for low profile use.
And to the person who posted that the Larsen/Antenex type low profile "can" antennas don't have good gain, I agree. Trialed one on a fire truck. It was sad compared to a quarter wave on the same nmo mount.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Another one for the 1/4 wave, they also come in black, makes the harder to spot.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

For a FLEXIBLE 2m/440 gain antenna use the Comet SBB-1. Like a 1/4 wave whip it is pretty low profile, but offers these advantages over a 1/4 wave:
- Gain on both 2m and 440
- Flexes like a "rubber duck" type antenna
After forgetting to fold down my much higher gain Comet 2/440 antenna when driving into my garage, I have used the SBB-1 ever since. Every time it hits the garage door sill. And every time there is no harm done. I don't worry about tree branches, low parking garages, or drive-up windows with low clearance. The antenna works VERY well on both bands. And it looks like the stock 18" AM-FM black rubber-wrapped antennas you see mounted at the rear of the roof on many cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.