• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

antenna mount type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdozer

i have a couple motorola 5/8 wave antennas. they seem to screw on to the NMO mount and does tighten up but it looks like the antenna has more threads than the nmo mount so it dont appear that the tab on the antenna is contacting the NMO contact.. Ill try getting pics, but for now the antenna has a grey base thats like 3 inches long or so and above that is a spring then the whip. by the contact tab under the antenna base it says 144-174 or whatever the vhf band is.. anyway does anyone know if this antenna uses NMO or another mount.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
NMO's are NMO's. It's a standard and I haven't seen much variation.

There are two types of base seals for the antenna itself. Some have a grove for an O-Ring and tighten right down against the mounting surface, others use a gasket between the base of the antenna and the surface. If there is a space at the bottom of the antenna it may need the gasket.

I have also seen the NMO mount threaded ring have damaged outer treads that prevent the antenna from screwing on fully. Have you checked the threads? Count the threads and confirm the antenna makes the same number of turns.

I usually bend the tab out a bit just to make sure it is making good contact. An ohmeter between the whip and the center of the radio connector will confirm good contact.

Last edited:

billdozer

i come up with about 6 threads on the antenna in question and only like 3 threads on a 1/4 wave nmo antenna. There is no gap with the motorola antenna,they both contact the mount surfface, i just dont think it can be making contact...It may be, but just dont understand the thread and highth differences... thanks for the reply

LtDoc

If you can't do a continuity check then set the antenna next to the mount, does the center 'pin' of the antenna look like it makes contact with the center contact of the mount? That continuity check is the surest method, but sometimes you can 'eye ball' it and get a fir guestimate.
- 'Doc

Drachen_Fire

Here's a tip: The antenna you are describing is pretty old. Back in the day, some NMO mounts weren't truly NMO. They were the same size, thread pattern, etc, but the mounts were thicker. This was on the part of one manufacturer (can't remember which) to make certain you had to buy the antennas and mounts from the same company. If it is as you are describing, that antenna hasn't been manufactured since the early-mid 1980's. Modern antennas are better anyways, as old antennas of this model have oil-filled coils, and by now, that coil has likely leaked, and the conductors corroded.

billdozer

drachen.. i belive your right. i got the antenna from my dads wrecker service. all the units had these on them for years. im pretty sure theyre motorola brand but its worn off.. it seemed to work ok on both rx and tx, but i replaced it temporary with a 1/4 wave til i find a 5/8 wave that i like. thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.