• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vhf vehicle antenna adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick223

Feed Provider
Does anyone know or can lead me in the right direction. For a vhf/vhf antenna adaptor. So I can hook 2 mobile radios up to 1 antenna. Already have 3 antennas and don't really want a 4th antenna plus this radio won't be used alot.

Thanks

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Going to need a lot more info to be able to give you an answer. With the lack of detail the short answer is:

maybe

WB4CS

Go to HRO (ham radio outlet) and search for antenna diplexers and duplexers. It sounds like that's what you need.

nick223

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Going to need a lot more info to be able to give you an answer. With the lack of detail the short answer is:

maybe

Not sure what info you need? I have 2 kenwood tk 7180H mobile VHF radios. And I already have the vhf antenna installed. I like to find an adapter box where you can plug the antenna too then connect the 2 radio antennas to that box.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Not sure what info you need? I have 2 kenwood tk 7180H mobile VHF radios. And I already have the vhf antenna installed. I like to find an adapter box where you can plug the antenna too then connect the 2 radio antennas to that box.

Yea, not going t happen. Only way will be with an antenna switch, but down side is only using one radio at a time.

Sent from an unknown place...

WB4CS

Ahh, never mind my diplexer/duplexer idea then. That would only work for 1 antenna on 2 radios on 2 different bands. (Example: Using a dual band antenna on 1 VHF and 1 UHF radio)

DisasterGuy

This could technically be possible (but would not be practical or cost effective). The only way to do what you describe would be through the use of a combiner and it would require that each radio only operate on a single frequency. You are looking at spending a few thousand dollars and, at VHF, the combiner would pretty much fill the trunk. Here is an example: http://www.telewave.com/pdf/TWDS-1014.pdf

krokus

Premium Subscriber
As others have pointed out, you can not do exactly what you asked, if the radios are on the same band. (Typically VHF-high.)

To avoid additional antenna mounts, you could use multi-band antennas and a diplexor, assuming you have multiple bands. Hams do this often, with 144MHz and 440MHz.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wait a minute, we seem to be assuming some things here..

Nick,

What is the exact usage of these radios? Do you do, or plan on doing, any transmitting with these radios, or are the for receive only?
-if it is for receive only, a simple splitter will work fine, however you will never be able to transmit without destroying the other radio.
-if you do want to transmit, then you are pretty much out of luck.

If you plan on transmitting, then it would be worth looking at what other antennas and radios you have to see what can be combined. If you have radios on other bands, then there could be the possibility that you could install a dual band antenna and get what you need.

If you decide to install two dedicated VHF radio antennas, then you need to put a lot of spacing between your antennas if you are going to transmit. Even without a direct connection, having two separate antennas can induce enough energy into the other radios to damage the receiver.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

nick223 said:
Does anyone know or can lead me in the right direction. For a vhf/vhf antenna adaptor. So I can hook 2 mobile radios up to 1 antenna. Already have 3 antennas and don't really want a 4th antenna plus this radio won't be used alot.

Thanks

Again, as I stated in my first post. We need more info. What bands are the radios you currently have in your vehical? Are you transmitting on any of the other radios? Is there a scanner in the vehical? Are you going to use the second VHF radio to transmit AT ALL?

With the info you have given the answer is NO.

If you provide more detail we MAY be able to come up with a workable solution.

BirkenVogt

The 7180 is a very capable radio. Just one of them with all the proper scan settings and programming ought to be enough to do whatever he wants it to do.

Wait a minute, we seem to be assuming some things here..

Nick,

What is the exact usage of these radios? Do you do, or plan on doing, any transmitting with these radios, or are the for receive only?
-if it is for receive only, a simple splitter will work fine, however you will never be able to transmit without destroying the other radio.
-if you do want to transmit, then you are pretty much out of luck.

If you plan on transmitting, then it would be worth looking at what other antennas and radios you have to see what can be combined. If you have radios on other bands, then there could be the possibility that you could install a dual band antenna and get what you need.

If you decide to install two dedicated VHF radio antennas, then you need to put a lot of spacing between your antennas if you are going to transmit. Even without a direct connection, having two separate antennas can induce enough energy into the other radios to damage the receiver.

sragen

Thanks

Is the 3rd antenna for a radio on a different band, scanner, good time radio?

prcguy

As everyone had mentioned its difficult to connect two radios in the same band to one antenna due to the transmitter of one radio being applied to the receiver of the other radio. An expensive VHF combiner would would work but it introduces some loss and their big and require tuning.

If you only need to operate one radio at a time Shakespeare makes an auto radio switch for VHF that senses transmit power from one radio and switches the antenna to only that radio. Key up the other radio and it then switches to that one. Look up a Shakespeare model AS-2.
prcguy

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
As everyone had mentioned its difficult to connect two radios in the same band to one antenna due to the transmitter of one radio being applied to the receiver of the other radio. An expensive VHF combiner would would work but it introduces some loss and their big and require tuning.

If you only need to operate one radio at a time Shakespeare makes an auto radio switch for VHF that senses transmit power from one radio and switches the antenna to only that radio. Key up the other radio and it then switches to that one. Look up a Shakespeare model AS-2.
prcguy

I believe the AS-2 can go up to 600MHz, but am not entirely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.