• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

yv3s

Help all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of antenna this is or what it is used for. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 1113131222a-1.jpg
    1113131222a-1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,847

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Judging from the photo, they look to be horizontal yagis, maybe uhf or 900 mhz. but the photo needs to be taken from below them to tell for sure.

n9zas

F-CYYZ2

It's hard to say what they are, or if they are even antennas, but there is a box on the wall behind the antennas so that might contain some type of radio equipment. Maybe the guys shooting a signal across the road and sharing his WiFi ?

yv3s

Thank you all for the replies. I've attached two more pictures if that helps clarify. Do they still look like yagis?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385127552813.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385127552813.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,677
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385127569015.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385127569015.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,640

yv3s

usygu4es.jpg
8yry2epe.jpg

N8IAA

Definitely yagi antennas. Both antennas appear to be going to the box on the side of the house. Do you know what the box is for? Where is your location? Maybe an answer to your question can be accurately given.
Larry

yv3s

Question solved. The leasing office said they were installed by the water company to be used as meter readers. Could a ham radio user use them too?

F-CYYZ2

OK if that was installed by the water company, and in most cities the water company is the city... it's probably motoring and even controlling something more then a homes water meter.

RTU - Remote Terminal Unit

The city I live in has been installing stuff like this to monitor the storm sewers for water levels, and rates of flow. They can even have temperature, dangerous gasses sensors, possibly even a camera down there. It's all possible with these radio linked RTU's

F-CYYZ2

Question solved. The leasing office said they were installed by the water company to be used as meter readers. Could a ham radio user use them too?

No, it's not a HAM antenna. Don't touch it... it's part of public safety, and anyone caught tampering with it will find them self in a serious state.

yv3s

Thank you for replying. I was curious because there are high levels of emf that occur in intervals in my apartment. Sometimes the level will be 20u and then suddenly spike to around 200u for a short time, which makes me feel ill. I was hoping it could've come from those antennas.

F-CYYZ2

Are you living in that house in the room right behind those antennas? If you are well that vinyl siding, fiberglass insulation, and drywall that make up the wall will not block any of the 400MHz signal that's spilling over from those antennas when they transmit. Also there are 2 of them pointing in different directions, meaning it's also acting as a relay point or 'hop through' to another system. So you now have not one but 2 of them transmitting, plus the other systems, that it's antennas are pointed at, will likely have the same directional antennas beaming their signal directly at your location. So you're getting hit from multiple transmitters.

20 u tesla is natural background noise... but 200 u's is something man made.. and the fact you see it on and off really suggests it is coming from the RTU, because this is just how they operate, sending data in bursts every so often... they do not transmit all of the time.

yv3s

Thanks again for replying. I actually live across and a little to the left of those antennas. But I thought i read that utility meter antennas aren't supposed to be harmful.

yv3s

What does it mean that they act like a relay to another system? The emf spikes happen only in the evening and at night.

F-CYYZ2

What does it mean that they act like a relay to another system? The emf spikes happen only in the evening and at night.

A relay is like a repeater... it's just part of an interconnecting chain of network points.

Attachments

• simple diagram.jpg
    simple diagram.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,379

yv3s

Oh. I'm not sure what is going on with the high emf ratings. I did a rf tracker and found a bunch of rf centered on my apartment. Apparently its just mine, I checked around and it's just my apartment. I've attached pictures, somehow it's connected to cell tower 435. I can't find any information on that tower. The cell id says it's in Denmark.
7avyqe9u.jpg
ema2e8u5.jpg

kb4mdz

Are there other antennas around the complex? Note where they are, and where they point to. Plot your points & directions on a map.

WB4CS

Thanks again for replying. I actually live across and a little to the left of those antennas. But I thought i read that utility meter antennas aren't supposed to be harmful.

Unless those antennas are pushing 300+ Watts of power (on UHF), they are perfectly safe. Although, I wouldn't touch them while they are transmitting, that could get you a nasty RF burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.