• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

$2 Resale Shop Find - What Type Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwoodgeek

Alright, so I was at a resale shop with my mom yesterday when I came across something completely unexpected. It was a magnetic-mount mobile two-way radio antenna of some type, and they only wanted two dollars for it! Never found any radio to go with it.

I tried to find out what kind it was, but I couldn't. Being the price it was, though, I couldn't pass it up. I was really hoping it was a UHF, but I do not believe it is.

With power turned off, I tried to plug this into my Kenwood NX-800 and TK-862G, but just as I had figured, the coax connector was way too small. All I can assume at this point is that it's a CB antenna, but I was wondering if someone could verify that.

Thanks!

kenwoodgeek

Darn it. I was really hoping I could use it for something. At least it was only two dollars, so I didn't pay too much for it.

nd5y

Assuming the antenna and coax is in good condition it would make a good scanner antenna for 700-900 MHz and maybe VHF high band if you replace the connector or use an adapter.

ecps92

You can still use it.

Cut off the connector, put on a BNC connector (for your scanner)
and use it for 800 Mhz reception

Darn it. I was really hoping I could use it for something. At least it was only two dollars, so I didn't pay too much for it.

kenwoodgeek

Alright, thanks for the advice! I guess that's not a bad use for it. Can probably pick up some police conversations farther away. I'd like to avoid cutting the connector off, but exactly what kind of connector would I need for one like this? Female to male?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Looks like a 900 MHz antenna. I've never seen any kind of cellular setup use mini UHF as it is almost exclusive to Motorola. In fact, the base looks very similar to bases Motorola used to ship out in the early oughties.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

kenwoodgeek

Interesting, this antenna is quite a mystery haha.

I was just at RadioShack. Problem is my scanner is coax. It's a Uniden BCD436HP. The antenna connector is not BNC. The antenna screws down. $40 for two separate components to hook this stupid antenna up. Not doing that.

Voyager

I've never seen any kind of cellular setup use mini UHF as it is almost exclusive to Motorola.

Motorola made many cellphones and was most likely the largest supplier in the mid 80s. And yes, they used the Mini PL on the car and bag phones.

+1 on the belief this is a cell antenna, and +1 on just getting a mini to (whatever you need) adapter.

For the 436, you need a Mini PL to SMA Male. Should cost maybe $4 or $5. But, I would recommend using the stock BNC adapter with a Mini PL to BNC adapter which can be removed much more easily and faster than the SMA. Then just use a standard BNC rubber duck on the 436.

That should work fantastic on 800 MHz systems since it was designed for the two bands around the 800 MHz LM band. It should also work fine on 700 and 900 MHz.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That is a male mini-UHF on the coax, and your scanner has a female SMA.

You can use an adapter, but you should be cautious, as adding adapters can cause some stress on the scanner antenna connector. It's not unheard of to either damage the connector or fracture the solder joint on the circuit board.

Recommended way to do this is to use a short coax jumper with the appropriate connectors on each end.
You'd want: Female Mini-UHF on one end, Male SMA on the other.

Adapters will work, just be cautious about moving it around or putting any stress on the radio connector.

I'll agree with the others, looks like an old 800MHz AMPS cell phone antenna. It should work well on 700-800-900MHz, and will probably work halfway decent on VHF. Probably not so well on UHF, but you can get it a try.

Not bad for $2.00.

Other option:
See if there is a hex set screw near the base of the antenna, on the cone part. If there is, you can take that whip out and fabricate a new one out of some wire, a coat hanger, some welding/brazing rod, etc. Cutting it for 1/4 wavelength on the frequency you want would give you a good temporary mobile antenna. I recall you had 2 UHF Kenwood radios, a 6 inch long rod will give you a good basic antenna.. Get an adapter, swap out the whip, and you've got yourself a mobile setup.

kenwoodgeek

Alright, thanks for the advice! I will defiantly be careful when using an adapter, but I will consider a coax jumper in the future.

And I agree. It's not what I was expecting, but it was a pretty good find. Glad I did find it and pick it up.

And no, there is no hex set screw on the cone. However, the whole whip itself actually unscrews from the base which is extremely nice for if I ever want to make my own whip. I think I'll use the antenna the way it is now, but I might replace the whip in the future to use with the radios. Right now, I'd like to try to use it the way it is and see how good I can pick up on an 800 MHz system.

I'm going to try to try to get a female mini UHF to male BNC adapter. I already have the female BNC to male SMA adapter that came with the scanner. I'm going to see if we can head back to RadioShack tomorrow and pick up the adapter.

Voyager

Let's try that again...

Mini1.jpg

OK. For some reason the corrected pic isn't showing, but the erred one is. A mod can delete the first attachment, as I can't seem to be able to do that.

kenwoodgeek

Alright, thanks!

I have an update. I obtained the adapter today from RadioShack. Fry's Electronics had everything in that category except for the one I needed, just figures.

This antenna works unbelievably well. Haven't really scanned anything in the 800 MHz range yet, but it picks up VHF and even UHF very clearly. Heck, I even heard a trucker conversation on CB!

The antenna was $2 at the resale shop and $8 for the adapter. Defiantly worth the $10. I am picking stuff up I could never pick up with the stock antenna, so I'm satisfied. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.