• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unity Ground plane for GMRS repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

linboogy

Premium Subscriber
Hello
I currently have a GMRS repeater. I have a Laird 7 DB gain antenna mounted at 50 feet. The coverage is very spoty. I have been advised that I need a lower or "unity" DB gain antenna because we are at such a hill terrain area. I am wondering if anyone is familiar DB201
Its a Unity gain ground plane antenna.
So basically I am wanting to confirm it is ok for duplex operation as my current antenna is DC ground?
Thanks!

Attachments

• unity antenna.jpg
    unity antenna.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,247

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
A ground plane sends more of the signal up in the sky than the design of the laird...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hello
I currently have a GMRS repeater. I have a Laird 7 DB gain antenna mounted at 50 feet. The coverage is very spoty. I have been advised that I need a lower or "unity" DB gain antenna because we are at such a hill terrain area. I am wondering if anyone is familiar DB201
Its a Unity gain ground plane antenna.
So basically I am wanting to confirm it is ok for duplex operation as my current antenna is DC ground?
Thanks!

7dB isn't a lot of gain for a base antenna. I'd doubt you'd see an improvement from a 0dB ground plane antenna like that.
If I was in your shoes I'd be looking at other possible causes. Mistuned diplexer, damaged antenna, damaged coaxial cable, wet cable, etc.

I've been in Cincinatti a few times and I'm sort of familiar with the terrain. I know it's pretty hilly. Depending on exactly where your antenna is mounted may be a big issue. Unless it's on top of one of the hills, you are not going to see much coverage.

Before spending money on a new antenna, I'd suggest getting someone with the right tools to check out your antenna system. Having that done will give you an idea where the issue is.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Also a Los coverage plot should give you a decent idea of what you can expect to see out of the repeater to help confirm other issues within the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prcguy

You should not have a problem unless you get higher than maybe 1,000 above average terrain with a 10dBd gain antenna according to some of the big antenna companies and even then its usually not a problem. I've had many 10dBd gain sticks on 5,000ft mountains and you can only notice degradation up close to the base of the mountain.

Check the specs on your antenna to see if its rated in dBd, dBi or some made up number. Going to the ground plane will put you backwards at any level.
prcguy

SCPD

QRT
Feedline

I'd start with the suggestions that McKenna gave.
If the coax is more than 10-15 years old, start with running new. Even if it looks OK.
A good ham swaps his coax out every 10 years. So should any radio system.

linboogy

Premium Subscriber
It's the antenna. Thank you all for the replies. I am also have been considering a db404 or 408

Status
Not open for further replies.