• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF Stealth Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtr81512

I have searched high and low for the right antenna. I am looking for a UHF Dipole antenna (similar to the one in the picture). I am looking for an antenna that will work in the 450-470 MHz range. I need this antenna to have a minimum 50 watt capability. This antenna needs to be mounted within the vehicle (obviously I know this will greatly reduce performance). Anyone have any suggestions? Also don't want to break the bank. TIA!

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3,701

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There would be some concerns about pumping 50 watts UHF into the interior of a vehicle with people inside there. I certainly wouldn't want to be sitting in that car.

If you -must- do this, you want it as far away from the occupants as you can get it. You didn't tell us what kind of vehicle this is, so it's hard to make a good recommendation. There are the stick on dipoles like you are looking at. There are adhesive strip antennas that will stick on the windows, and you can do as was suggested above, an antenna on the rear package shelf if you have a standard sedan.

Some other options you should consider:
Glass mount - cellular look alike antennas. Safer and will perform better.
"Disguise" antennas that use the AM/FM antenna.
Low profile disc type antennas
Shark Fin type antennas
In-bumper antennas and license plate antennas - poor performers, but at least you get the RF away from the occupants.

W3DMV

If you put it inside the car your going to easily exceed the RF Exposure
limits. Please don't haul anyone with a pacemaker or other device.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I don't see much difference in putting the antenna on the trunk lid or on the rear shelf as that little piece of glass for the rear window isn't going to make much difference in RF exposure. For years while working at mother M I had installed many antennas on the rear shelf, even covering some with a tissue box or placing VHF ones in the crease of some rear window glass for covert ops. The only downfall I found was when the electronic rear window defroster was turned on, it basically became a Faraday shield, and blocked signals. Reception depended on signal strength coming into the vehicle.

I don't know if it is still made but I also installed a slotted wave box antenna which was a replacement for the 6 by 9 speaker, but they were pricey.

Another alternative is if you are close to your repeaters was using a standard UHF whip as a curb feeler, I did that for a Chief of Police in N.J. one time. There are also cellular look alike antennas, but they have a very narrow frequency spread and the on glass ones may have some power limitations.

That Stico behind the bumper cover antenna you could probably make yourself, but the limitation I see is that it is going to be VERY directional and at a low angle.

SCPD

QRT
I just can't get my head around wanting to put an antenna in a bumper or a back window or slotting a fender. There are dozen of small two way antennas that look just like a radio/satellite radio antenna that you can mount right out in the open for much better gain.And no one is going to think it's a two way radio antenna. The days of a second small black antenna "sticking out like a sore thumb" are over.

On a related topic (and maybe this should be a separate thread) I wonder if anyone has ever put antennas inside a rear deck spoiler? I know the one on my car isn't metallic cuz I put a screwdriver magnet on it to see. I'm too old to become an entrepreneur, but could money be made making and selling fiberglass spoiler disguise antennas? If someone does start doing that, I'd like 1% of the sales.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
There are plenty of mobile covert antennas out there, side view mirrors, license plate frames. rear view mirrors, slot antennas that basically make the whole vehicle an antenna, even AM/FM antennas that can be used to transmit. A mag mount antenna on a small piece of sheet metal or one of the rear speaker grills works fine, place a Kleenex box or a toy stuffed animal over the antenna and forget it.

KJ6HCB

Just saw an undercover PD car a few days ago with a 1/4 wave UHF nmo coming out of the carpet on the back deck - if I wouldnt have been checking out the car in the first place looking for equipment I wouldnt have seen it. If youre that worried about it toss like a baseball hat or kleenex box or something on the back deck over it.

Hooligan

Just saw an undercover PD car a few days ago with a 1/4 wave UHF nmo coming out of the carpet on the back deck - if I wouldnt have been checking out the car in the first place looking for equipment I wouldnt have seen it. If youre that worried about it toss like a baseball hat or kleenex box or something on the back deck over it.

Let's hope its actually used as an "unmarked" car & not an "undercover" one.

I know a lot of LEAs on UHF or even VHF back in the day had the antennas on the rear deck mostly because it was faster/easier work for the tech that installed the gear & made it easy to go thru car washes, low visual profile was just a bonus, but these were unmarked vehicles used as take-home cars by detectives & command officers & usually still stood-out to criminals & a class of radio geeks. Some of the smarter ones would still put a ballcap over the antenna, though again, that was a giveaway to some of us astute radio-geeks. Very few used a box of Kleenex because of course it's normally just blue-haired little old ladies driving Buicks with a box of tissue sitting on the rear deck!

With 800MHz, I know some older, savvy officers didn't want that 800MHz RF so close to them (despite having 800MHz handhelds), especially back during the days when there was a lot of talk about (800MHz) cellphones causing cancer. That concern plus perhaps general 800MHz RF characteristics may have resulted in 700/800/900MHz system vehicular antenna installs being outside the vehicle.

http://www.sti-co.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/stico_cat_2010a5551.pdf

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Sharkee Now . com -Information on the latest GPS combination antenna from Panorama Antennas

OK, this has two strikes against it from your requirements: price and being an external mount. However, its performance makes it worth consideration as it avoids the need for as much RF power because of vertical polarization and 3db gain. The appearance is sufficiently similar to OEM antennas to be stealthy.
I've got one on my POV with a tri-band antenna on it. Most think it is the onstar antenna. GM guys know middle of the cab on a 4 door Sierra is not where it should be.

Hirschman has something similar (2.4/5 GHz) but foe some reason they refuse to offer it in anything other than a VHF whip.

Seen some newer Ford sedans with the factory fin removed and the Sharkee in its place. You'd miss if you didn't know what you were looking at or didn't see the black steel wheels with chrome hubs.

Tahoes are a little easier to spot...PPVs don't have luggage racks and most civilian Tahoes do. It's like Crown Vics, you don't see a luggage rack you just assume it's law enforcement until you get closer to tell otherwise.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Evgeni

There are antennas out there that mimic the look of satellite radio that might work.

Or if you have a conventional 88mhz broadcast antenna, maybe that can cut it shorter to match the frequency and appear like it is broken.

More than 10 watts inside the car, on the trunk, hood, is a no no.
RF burns aren't fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.