• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What cable should I use (UHF)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanMadigan

Good afternoon everyone. Is there a guide anywhere on what cable I could safely use based on the length?

I will be operating on 462mhz at up to 50w, but with antennas at various distances. I was wondering if there was any sort of guide so I don't have to ask every time.

For example: My friends car will need 25ft of cable, her house will need about 40ft of cable, and my house will need about 75ft of cable. I know that i can use RG58 for shorter runs, but at what point should i use lower loss cable, and what should I use?

TheSpaceMann

Good afternoon everyone. Is there a guide anywhere on what cable I could safely use based on the length?

I will be operating on 462mhz at up to 50w, but with antennas at various distances. I was wondering if there was any sort of guide so I don't have to ask every time.

For example: My friends car will need 25ft of cable, her house will need about 40ft of cable, and my house will need about 75ft of cable. I know that i can use RG58 for shorter runs, but at what point should i use lower loss cable, and what should I use?
For UHF over 25ft, I would use LMR 400.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

This is a good place to start:
Coax Loss Calculator

Enter your coax length, frequency (462MHz), load SWR (use 1:1 for now), and your power in from the transmitter. What it will give you is the matched loss, the SWR loss (will be the same as the matched loss if you use 1:1 SWR), total loss in dB and the power out, as seen at the end of the coax.

Keep in mind that some of the cables listed under the coax choices are 75Ω, and some of them are odd types that can be difficult to find.
Don't get hung up on any one type, either. I know some hobbyists seem to be under the impression that LMR-400 is the be all, end all of coax, it isn't. For long lengths, you may need something better.

Also, make sure you consider your budget. While it's nice to design everything and be super concerned about the power out at the antenna, you often don't need much actual power if you have a good antenna system. Remember that antenna gain will boost performance, so make sure to figure in your antenna choices.

I've had situations where 50 feet of RG-8 was all I had and I needed a radio working. People will claim that RG-8 isn't "good enough" for UHF. Truth is, it worked just fine for what I needed. Keep your expectations realistic, and don't get too hung up on the numbers.

As for vehicle installs, RG-58 works just fine. It's a heck of a lot easier to route. I've got about 50 800MHz radios running in mobile applications with RG-58. At 800MHz, the coax losses are a lot greater than at 462MHz, and all these radios work fine.

ab3a

As for vehicle installs, RG-58 works just fine. It's a heck of a lot easier to route. I've got about 50 800MHz radios running in mobile applications with RG-58. At 800MHz, the coax losses are a lot greater than at 462MHz, and all these radios work fine.

I second this advice. The case where coax matters is actually for longer, fixed runs of coax, especially coax that goes up a tall structure. The longer the coax run, the better the return on your investment for better cable. You're not going to lose enough power in the coax run in a vehicle to make it worth the trouble to use larger, more expensive coax.

RadioTowerMaster

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A number of people I know on GMRS (And I know he didn't say that was what it was for) go with 1/2" Heliax with solid inner conductors for base applications. Everybody has an option & an opinion but that happens to be theirs. Good luck in your choice.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Rg58 is fine for the car, For the base radio I suggest Lmr400 or Belden 9913 Flex :wink: 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.