RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Commercial Radio Antennas

Commercial Radio Antennas - Please keep discussion related to professional, commercially used antennas and antenna systems for the two-way radio industry. Topics for the use of these antennas on amateur bands are accepted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Wow! Great story, thanks. There is probably a lot of truth to it. Keep them focused on a ruse to divert their assets from the real stuff. It reminds me of another story I read about the Reagan era. Reagan had met with Francois Mitterand of France who gave him a list French Intelligence had obtained of about 200 soviet operatives in the U.S. and Canada. Their purpose was to get jobs at vaious high tech companies and other manufacturers to steal the technology because they were so far behind the West. Instead of rounding them all up immediately Reagan decided to have a little fun with them. A counterintelligence program was begun where the target companies would carelessly leave fake plans and schematics, etc. laying around for the spies to take. The spies sent the plans back home to the U.S.S.R. Then it began to happen. The machines, tractors, computers would work for a short time then break down. When this began happening and the soviets were scratching their heads Reagan knew that the counterintelligence program was at the end of its useful life so he put the icing on the cake. A company in Canada that made software to control the various valve stations along gas pipelines let one of the spies get a hold of some bad code they had written just for them. The soviets used the code to control the flow of gas through a large system of pipelines from the gas fields in Siberia to the more populated areas in the western part of the Soviet Union. The software contained code that would make all the valves go wide open all at once at a set time. When that time arrived it caused a massive failure (bursting open) of the pipelines and some large fires. At that point the soviets knew that had been had so Reagan had all the spies rounded up and deported.
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-B View Post
A few days ago I was watching the movie Midway for about the 50th time and several times during the movie they are sending messages from Pearl Harbor to the task force 900 miles away and then there was the Japanese listening post on Kwajalein intercepting their fake message about the water condensor. So I was thinking in the days before satellites are they using short wave radio and skip and towers like these to communicate with the ships?
Still today HF is a valid means of communications. Sure, sats are where it is at, and they carry the brunt of the coms, but today the USN still maintains HF capable links. And they regularly use them and practice with them in exercises. Think of it this way, satellites are a pretty easy target to ID and kill if you really want to, killing ionospheric propagation is a harder task.

Not to mention the US AF still uses HF, witness the HF-GCS network.

T!
Old 02-25-2017, 9:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

Thanks C-F for the pics and a truly great story about the messages that had the Soviets guessing. A worth while thread.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:19 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Your welcome! KC4...
I have all these experiences and stories rattling about me- and a love of sharing them.
.....................CF
Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 PM

"And with todays technology we still cant keep a decent cell phone reception in rural areas. The people of that generation were amazing engineers."
You're missing the real issue. In the 30's and even 50's there was professional pride in "being the best" and "doing things right". In accomplishments of all kinds. The engineers of that generation were different from the engineers of this generation in only one way: Cost sensitivity. Today's engineers are not in charge of any end product, there are always accountants who go over the final project/product and literally they will say "It will still work if we cut out this and that, and we can increase our margins by another 3%."
When the Queensborough Bridge was built, they used the "newfangled" Bessemer steel, and no one really knew the ultimate strength or durability of it. So the engineers literally built the bridge structure with a 5x safety factor. Today, that would be no more than 2x safety factor. In the 1970's NYC started a long rebuilding job on that bridge, and they remarked that if the engineers had built it with the usual modern safety factor, it would literally have collapsed, a major disaster.
Getting 100% cell phone coverage isn't a matter of engineering, it is a matter of convincing the cellular company to spend money on towers, in areas where they have no income.

Those radio towers in Annapolis are a crying shame. The USN knows better than to let anything rust, and those towers show enough rust to indicate they are being allowed to decay, on purpose, so there can be no debate when they are pulled down. Another finance problem, not engineering.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2017, 1:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Here's a neat pix from way back...
http://www.virhistory.com/navy/comms...is-1935-hr.JPG
Old 02-25-2017, 8:41 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

An **Awesome** photo, Burr ..
It held me mesmerized !
(I was able to identify some of it- like that long spit of land off the left upper corner---Possum Point, The road out to it passes thru a gulf course now... But the years, tides, storms and bulldozers have changed so much of it that I have only guess's-
......Hmmmm-- I think I see the Helix House, the cooling pond for the transmitter, and the transmitter building- they all survived right up until the station was completely demolished............fascinating, all the same!)
...............................................CF
Old 05-03-2017, 10:08 AM

Speaking of NSS, it's coming back! (Sort of.)

On May 13, 2017, the callsign will be activated again for one day as part of the U.S. military's annual Armed Forces Day crossband communications with amateur radio operators.

Here's what the ARRL has to say about it: “The Potomac Valley Radio Club (PVRC) and the US Naval Academy Radio Club will operate NSS on the site of the 1918 Naval Radio Transmitting Station on Greenbury Point in Annapolis, Maryland, across the Severn River from the US Naval Academy.”
Armed Forces Day Crossband Military/Amateur Radio Communications Test is May 13

There'll be QSL cards for SWLs who tune in and hams who work NSS. As far as I know, this is the first time NSS has reappeared on the shortwave bands since its original demise.
Old 05-03-2017, 7:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Smashing news, Indy!
They will have some awesome towers to string antennas from!
........................CF
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2017, 8:24 AM

Yep, and for anyone who's interested, I found out a little more specific information about the upcoming NSS operation -- thanks to the Potomac Valley Radio Club, which is staging the event:

"We'll be operating about 1000 feet north of the north Helix house, at the former location of the Married Enlisted Quarters. It will be a Field Day style operation in a tent, using 50 foot military masts. We'll
be active from 1300Z-0200Z on both CW and SSB with at least three transmitters operating continuously."

On a historic note, I also learned that: "NSS military HF operations closed down in the late 1970s. Although LF and VLF operations continued into the 1990s, all LF and VLF comms were encrypted and the NSS callsign was no longer used."

So unless there's been another Armed Forces Day operation, etc., since that time, this would appear to be NSS's first appearance on HF in about 40 years!
Old 05-11-2017, 6:31 PM

I have heard many stories about these towers and have seen photos of the destruction of the 1200 ft ones. The use as a historic landmark is a good way to save these radio relics.
The Armstong Tower and labs in Alpine New Jersey shares that protection.It is only 400ft but served as the test bed for FM radio back in the 30's and 40's.