RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Commercial Radio Antennas

Commercial Radio Antennas - Please keep discussion related to professional, commercially used antennas and antenna systems for the two-way radio industry. Topics for the use of these antennas on amateur bands are accepted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 12:13 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Can someone ID this mobile antenna?

Hello all,
I bought some items at an auction and this antenna was in one of the boxes. I assumed it to be a 2m/440 dual-bander from the whip and the base but the connector has me puzzled. I'll plead lack of knowledge here since all my mobile FM antennas over the years have been NMO. Took pictures and submitting them in the hope someone in the vast pool of wisdom can steer me in the right direction.
#1 is the entire antenna.
The overall length is 29 inches in case the pic isn't legible. The coil is 3 inches long and is 9 inches from the base end.

#2 is a shot of the base...

#3, the connector. It fits the mini-uhf connector on my Motorola mobile radios and does a bangup job receiving. I didn't want to try xmit for obvious reasons.
I just bought another work car and this would be a perfect roof install if I knew where/what kind of mount to get. If someone could help an old guy learn a new trick here I'd certainly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance and 73 to all!

KI7SY Frank in Reno, NV
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2017, 1:53 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Interesting. It looks similar to my Larsen antenna, but I know that it is not the same model.

Andrew | N2AL
Nurture your mind with great thought. To believe in the heroic makes heroes. - Benjamin Disraeli
Old 04-06-2017, 1:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AL View Post
Interesting. It looks similar to my Larsen antenna, but I know that it is not the same model.
Thanks for the reply. Does your Larsen have that same connector base pin and thread?
Frank
Old 04-06-2017, 8:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

SO 239 base most times used in amateur radio think the male end of a PL259
Old 04-06-2017, 9:15 AM

Default Identify antenna

I think you are pretty close to ......

looks like a cellphone antenna, probably was screwed onto a mag mount. Mini UHF was used on a lot of the bag phones in the analog Cellphone days

$.02
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2017, 9:23 AM

The element below the delay coil is about 7" long. Me thinks its a UHF colinear. 5/8wave over 1/4wave. If you can, put it on a mag mount and sweep it from 140MHz-2.5GHz with an Anritsu Site Master or similar instrument and see where it resonates.

My gut thinks it will be resonate between 400-470MHz somewhere.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinasFeedNet View Post
I think it is MFJ-1729
Yea that looks like it.It makes sense, as it has a crappy SO-239/PL-259 mount. That type of mount is almost universally only used by ham-crap antenna manufacturers.

It is probably a shortened half wave on VHF and a 5/8 wave over 1/4 wave on UHF.

Although they do not specify if the gain figures are dBi or dBd, I would bet a paycheque that the gain figures on the MFJ website are dBi, as there is no chance that a shortened 1/2wave VHF antenna will have 2.6dBd gain. Subtract 2.15 from their claimed gain figures for real world dBd gain, Unity on VHF and just over 4dBd on UHF.

Last edited by kayn1n32008; 04-06-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think it is MFJ-1729
Old 04-06-2017, 4:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinasFeedNet View Post
I think it is MFJ-1729
Thanks for the tip! I called MFJ and they agreed. I ordered the base mount (mag) and if it fits, I'll have a 'in-town" dual-band roof mount for my new work vehicle. I'll post the results when I get it assembled.

Thanks to all who offered their help!

73, KI7SY Frank in Reno