• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maxrad MHB-5800

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
For those that are interested in the guts in the base of antennas, I found a Maxrad base that has failed.

Pretty easy to disassemble once the glue fails.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 334
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 366

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Nice, thanks for posting.

I really want to get some old Tram/Browning antennas and cut them open for comparison. I keep saying I'm going to troll the ham-fests to find some, but I keep forgetting.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Nice, thanks for posting.

I really want to get some old Tram/Browning antennas and cut them open for comparison. I keep saying I'm going to troll the ham-fests to find some, but I keep forgetting.

The glue failed on this one. This antenna was used for RTK Datalink transmit from a reference station.

The antenna is screwed together. Well gasketed and well built. Not sure what caused the glue to fail but other wise is really great shape. No indication of water intrusion at all, but it's out of service. Will probably toss it at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got a left over Maxrad 5/8 wave base that's been laying around since I took it away from someone who shouldn't have been playing with antennas. Been wondering what to do with it, too late now.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I really want to get some old Tram/Browning antennas and cut them open for comparison./QUOTE]

I totally forgot you want to see the guts of one of them. I threw out a Tram 5/8 over 5/8 NGP base today. I will try and rescue it in the morning. Hopefully nobody empties the garbage tonight.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I really want to get some old Tram/Browning antennas and cut them open for comparison./QUOTE]

I totally forgot you want to see the guts of one of them. I threw out a Tram 5/8 over 5/8 NGP base today. I will try and rescue it in the morning. Hopefully nobody empties the garbage tonight.

I expect them to look similar, but maybe poorer workmanship. A lot of the Tram/Browning antennas look like direct knock-offs of the name brand stuff. I'm thinking they are built in the same contract factories, or just direct forgeries. Would be interesting to see if they are -exact- copies sold at a lower profit point, of if they are actually built cheaper quality to lower prices.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The coil just makes the antenna look longer to the RF power, and in effect matches to a 5/8 wavelength of the frequency. I have found they fail after repeated hitting of tree branches and overhead objects, especially on school buses. They can also fail after siting in the sun for many years. Motorola actually had a cheap version of a 5/8 wave VHF antenna for a contract we had that had an open coil of 1 and 1/2 turns on the bottom of the whip for the same effect.

charlie12

Late to the party. I have one of those on my truck roof mounted for my 2 meter mobile. It was used when I got it and I've had it about 5 years. It's hit a lot of tree limbs and still works fine. My girlfriends daughter works for Pctel so maybe I'll get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.