RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Commercial Radio Antennas

Commercial Radio Antennas - Please keep discussion related to professional, commercially used antennas and antenna systems for the two-way radio industry. Topics for the use of these antennas on amateur bands are accepted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2017, 5:22 PM

Default Maxrad MHB-5800

For those that are interested in the guts in the base of antennas, I found a Maxrad base that has failed.

Pretty easy to disassemble once the glue fails.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2017, 5:55 PM

Nice, thanks for posting.

I really want to get some old Tram/Browning antennas and cut them open for comparison. I keep saying I'm going to troll the ham-fests to find some, but I keep forgetting.
Old 09-25-2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Nice, thanks for posting.

I really want to get some old Tram/Browning antennas and cut them open for comparison. I keep saying I'm going to troll the ham-fests to find some, but I keep forgetting.

The glue failed on this one. This antenna was used for RTK Datalink transmit from a reference station.

The antenna is screwed together. Well gasketed and well built. Not sure what caused the glue to fail but other wise is really great shape. No indication of water intrusion at all, but it's out of service. Will probably toss it at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 6:01 PM

I've got a left over Maxrad 5/8 wave base that's been laying around since I took it away from someone who shouldn't have been playing with antennas. Been wondering what to do with it, too late now.
Old 09-25-2017, 7:16 PM

Default Maxrad MHB-5800

[QUOTE=mmckenna;2823132]I really want to get some old Tram/Browning antennas and cut them open for comparison./QUOTE]

I totally forgot you want to see the guts of one of them. I threw out a Tram 5/8 over 5/8 NGP base today. I will try and rescue it in the morning. Hopefully nobody empties the garbage tonight.

Old 09-25-2017, 7:28 PM

[QUOTE=kayn1n32008;2823173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I really want to get some old Tram/Browning antennas and cut them open for comparison./QUOTE]

I totally forgot you want to see the guts of one of them. I threw out a Tram 5/8 over 5/8 NGP base today. I will try and rescue it in the morning. Hopefully nobody empties the garbage tonight.

I expect them to look similar, but maybe poorer workmanship. A lot of the Tram/Browning antennas look like direct knock-offs of the name brand stuff. I'm thinking they are built in the same contract factories, or just direct forgeries. Would be interesting to see if they are -exact- copies sold at a lower profit point, of if they are actually built cheaper quality to lower prices.
Old 10-10-2017, 6:41 AM

The coil just makes the antenna look longer to the RF power, and in effect matches to a 5/8 wavelength of the frequency. I have found they fail after repeated hitting of tree branches and overhead objects, especially on school buses. They can also fail after siting in the sun for many years. Motorola actually had a cheap version of a 5/8 wave VHF antenna for a contract we had that had an open coil of 1 and 1/2 turns on the bottom of the whip for the same effect.