• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Telewave ANT150F2-No way 60 inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowboy23

Among the antennas I am considering to install is the Telewave ANT150F2. My problem is how could a collinear at these frequencies be only 60 inches long? Using the shortest length frequency-174, two half-wave elements work out to 64 and 1/2 inches and this does not even include element spacing. It defies physics. Is this published length of 60 inches a misprint? Is there a new collinear technology out there that I am not aware of? Serious question. Is Telewave lying? Telewave is usually pretty truthful about their antenna specs.

nd5y

Do you have a link to it?
Is this a VHF only antenna or is it available in different bands? Maybe the dimensions are wrong.
If it's really just a VHF dipole antenna it could easily be 60 inches or less.
If it's really a collinear made from transmission line sections then you have to take into account the velocity factor of the transmission line. The electrical length of the elements could be about 2/3 the size of the free space length. Also there is no element spacing on one of those, the elements are connected together.

Last edited:

Lowboy23

Have not figured out how to hotlink yet. Still fairly new at this RR thingy. But here is the link-https://www.telewave.com/product/ant150f2-omnidirectional-collinear-antenna-148-174mhz/. Says VHF only and collinear.

Look at the VSWR plot. You'll see some variation in the baseline. The VSWR remains fairly low, but what you might notice is that as frequency changes, the phasing - and subsequently the electrical tilt - will change directing the major lobe either upward away from the horizon or downward. It can be fairly broadband nonetheless. This is probably a 5/8 over a 5/8 element at the center frequency.

Lowboy23

So this is possibly a 1/2 over 1/2 or a 5/8 over 5/8 with a transmission line shortened because of the velocity factor? No spacing is required? I just never heard of that. Well, you live and learn.

prcguy

I've opened a lot of antennas and have only seen the half wavelength in coax collinears in 5dBd size and up. Smaller ones are usually 1/2 or 5/8 wave elements made of wire with a pig tail or folded phasing coil.

I think 60in is too short for a half wave in coax or wire element type of collinear at VHF. The coax element types are a bit shorter but you usually have a 1/4 wave spike on top and a 1/4 wave decoupling section at the bottom, which woudl be much longer than 60in. A stacked 1/2 over 1/2 wave with phasing coil in wire would also be more than 60in long at VHF. The collinear description must be a typo.
prcguy

Lowboy23

Yeah prc, my thinking was kind of along the same lines as yours. The collinear description, dbd figure or length must be a typo. But apparently others above say it is possible. Gee, so who am I to believe?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Like what most antenna manufacturers do, it's on a platform of colinear antennas but it's gain characteristics are that of a 5/8 wave. Could be a 1/4 over 1/2 but I don't know how well that would work out.

brushfire21

Feed Provider
I have an ANT150 on a site that was primary for a year on a public safety channel but was put into backup service when a 4-bay dipole was installed. It was a decent antenna and it was chosen because of its size, gain and semi-wide band performance. A 2-bay dipole was a tad bit better in my opinion (at th same site) then the ANT150 , but for the size and needs at the time, it was a good choice.

Have seen a local LMR installer lately using them as well for some low level commercial repeater sites and he has mentioned they are doing well and stealthiness of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.