RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Commercial Radio Antennas

Commercial Radio Antennas - Please keep discussion related to professional, commercially used antennas and antenna systems for the two-way radio industry. Topics for the use of these antennas on amateur bands are accepted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 7:34 PM

Default Need help with new business repeater antenna.

My business repeater has the the following frequencies 158.380 and 153.020. I already have a cheap tram 1491 fiberglass antenna setup and will be replacing with a DB-224. I have found a few cheap DB-224b models but they say they are for 155-165. Would I be good using as is or is there a way to change the harness to suit my frequencies better. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2018, 8:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Which frequency is TX and which is RX?
Old 02-17-2018, 10:51 PM

TX is set to 158.3850
Old 02-17-2018, 11:28 PM

If you are transmitting at 158 then it will be fine as is.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:57 PM

What a difference a antenna makes! Installed last week on my 50ft tower and paired with my xpr8400, the coverage has doubled!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2018, 12:33 AM

Amazing what a decent antenna will do for a repeater. Good antenna, good duplexer translates into decent coverage.

But one word of caution, make sure your using double shielded coax between the radios and the duplexer. You could use some 1/4 or even 3/8 helliax coax.

Just make sure your not using any LMR series coax in any repeater application. It may work for a while, but you will eventually get moisture into the coax and you will start to have all sorts of noise problems.

Sure you will hear from those that support this kind of coax for duplex operation. But given enough time they will change their support for it. The higher the humidity where the cable is used, the faster the problem will show up. These people will tell you that if properly weather sealed, you won't have the problems.

The moisture gets into the shield of the cable and causes all sorts of little diode connections between the aluminum and the copper braid. It makes for some real interesting trouble shooting to locate the source of the noise it will generate. The more the cable flexes in the wind, the more the noise will show up. The higher the repeater transmitter power, the faster you will see the problem.
Old 03-05-2018, 8:09 AM

I vapor wrapped all the antenna connections and then used silicone tape over them. My feed is ld4f-50 and from my duplexer to radio is Motorola spec cables.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2018, 5:10 PM

Phased dipoles are the ONLY way to go for the top of a tower.
Their lightning survival is MUCH better than any fiberglass antenna and they will last many decades.