• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

800MHz yagi vertical vs horizontal orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I just indoor installed a Wilson 301129 800-900MHz yagi for 800MHz SMR reception. It wants to be mounted horizontally, and when it it turned vertically, the signal drops out. Why is this happening, or is this expected? Very pleased with the performance vs the window mount 800MHz Wilson I was using previously. The target transmitter is in line with the antenna, about 15 miles away pointed about 90 degrees off of my location, so a tough signal to pull in.

The orientation and angle of direction was tuned on the scanner app showing the RSSI...don't laugh at my setup! :p

Paul

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 5.59.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 5.59.01 PM.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
On a side note...I lost my VHF reception when switching to this setup...is it possible to multicombine a second VHF antenna into the same scanner, without reducing the receive performance on 800MHz? Any time I test simply hooking two antennas up to the same BNC (T connector), the resulting performance is simply the RX of the lesser antenna, 800MHz antenna always taking the hit.

Paul

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just a guess but the metal lampshade is probably altering the RF characteristics of your YAGI.

Your YAGI is the worst antenna for VHF. You can combine two different antennas on different bands, but to do it right you need a diplexer, and they are not cheap. You'd be better off in the long run with a wide band discone or DPD Productions Omni-X scanner antenna.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I came to that orientation handheld, then clamped it in place...old window omni got 2 bars, horizontal as shown got three bars, vertical gets 1 bar. Unfortunately, I am on the bottom floor in an apartment, so mounting options are limited. My yagi is seeing the mountain through a slit basically, which is the best position I could find for signal, which happened to be next to the lamp. :)

I have seen some diplexer dealies for VHF/UHF, but harder to find non HAM based ones that have 800MHz. Maybe they make commercial ones for use with APX7500 dual band radios? 800MHz is the primary RX for the scanner, just a small handful of VHF and low band frequencies that would be nice to receive as well.

Paul

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Signals can bounce off buildings, hillsides, nearly anything. Once it bounces, all bets are off.

Commercial diplexers are out there, and VHF/UHF/800MHz models exist.
I have a triplexer vhf, uhf, 700/800 from stridesburg it was not cheap but gets the job done. I use it in order to be able to TX and rx on one discontinued on all three bands.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lmrtek

Uhf signals will flip polarity every time they strike something.
You might get better reception by using it on a 45 degree angle in some situations.
You would be better off buying a small VHF/UHF tv antenna.
A 2 bay bowtie antenna is less than $20 bucks and covers 460-900.
Or you can buy a vhf/uhf antenna for less than $40

Status
Not open for further replies.