RadioReference Spring 2009 CD-ROM Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
RadioReference.com announced on April 15, 2009 that the April 2009 release of the RadioReference.com Database CD-ROM is now available for sale through ScannerMaster.

Priced at $29.95, the CD-ROM provides a complete off-line copy of the RadioReference Database and wiki, including conventional and trunked frequencies assignments for all United States cities, counties, and states, and a select set of international locales. In addition, maps, images, 10 codes lists, and other data are included for selected areas.

New for this release is an updated style and look, as well as the complete copy of the RadioReference Wiki for offline access to this reference source.

The CD-ROM is now in stock at ScannerMaster, and can be ordered at the following location:

RadioReference Database CD-ROM

More Information on the CD-ROM can be found here:

RR CD Apr2009 - The RadioReference Wiki

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Attached are some select screenshots from what the CD-ROM interface looks like:

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5,980
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 5,979
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 5,898

dirk6665

Feed Provider
Update...

Greetings!

I have the October 2008 issue. I don't see any update feature to add any new/changed frequencies to an existing database (after CD install, of course). Is this something you are looking at for the future or are updates only available with every new purchase of the CD only?

Also, depending on the update frequency of the CD-ROM, do you plan on offering 'upgrade' prices?

Thank You!

Dirk
(Dirk6665 - Feed Provider)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dirk,

Right now, since CD-ROM media is static only, there aren't any approaches available at this time to update the CD-ROM remotely. That's why we are releasing a version twice a year.

We don't have any upgrade pricing yet at this time, however that is something we could look at doing in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Warm regards,

Lindsay

radioaustralia

VIC Database Admin
Database Admin
Can anyone tell me if the CD has any Canadian frequencies or is it just the US?

Welcome to the Radio Reference community!

Yes there is Canadian content on the CD-ROM. Anything that was in the database & wiki prior to April will be published on the CD-ROM regardless of the continent. I've had a quick look at the Canadian section and can see some content there so you should be right.

scollier

Lindsay,

I really think more people would become interested in the cd if there were an upgrade option! But with wifi at almost every mcd's nationwide, there's really no need for it unless you vacation in god's country!

Peace,
shawn

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Beware of CD-ROM shipping cost from ScannerMaster

I've ordered the first (Fall 08) and now the second (Spring 09) CD-ROM from ScannerMaster.

I thought that ScannerMaster was the only source for the CD-ROM until I did a search and discovered that it is also available from Grove Enterprises. Now I am wondering who else offers the CD-ROM?

Keep in mind, if you order from ScannerMaster, that the only shipping method provided for the on-line ordering system is UPS (as of up to today). The minimum charge is $10.25.

In contrast, Grove offers USPS shipping for $3.00.

I have emailed ScannerMaster about the UPS shipping only on the order prior to shipment, but the email was yet unanswered. I also carbon copied the webmaster of this web site.

The order was shipped today at the $10.25 UPS shipping level per the confirmation email I received from ScannerMaster.

The bottom line is that I will no longer be ordering from, or supporting ScannerMaster for this CD-ROM in the future.:mad:

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Keep in mind, if you order from ScannerMaster, that the only shipping method provided for the on-line ordering system is UPS (as of up to today). The minimum charge is $10.25.

In contrast, Grove offers USPS shipping for $3.00.

I agree. $10.25 to ship a CD is WAY excessive and definitely includes a markup. No way to defend it.

Standard shipping for a CD from amazon is $2.98. Not to mention the added inconvenience of UPS (no Saturday delivery, signature required, etc).

I support scannermaster as a sponser of RR - I've ordered from them before. $10 to ship a CD is flat-out inexcusable.

And what about an electronic download option to eliminate the CD and associated shipping altogether? Many software vendors offer this today - there is no reason the RR database must be relegated to CD!

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
As I mentioned in a previous thread, you can choose USPS if you want. Look closely. The pricing is still high for shipping via USPS - $7.75 to Ohio. If I choose UPS Ground it's $13.10.

I know you guys are all going to bark about the shipping. I'm just stating that USPS shipping is available in the checkout.

mike

SCPD

QRT
Why should we have to "look closely"??? That's really a fanboi response from you. No one is trying to "bark" about shipping. The point is that in this economy, cheaper options are available for RR customers and these options still allow RR to make its profit. Sell the f--kin' CD directly on this website, for example, and ship standard USPS @ $3.

Anyway, for me, shipping is still $8 via USPS from scannermaster. Very, very marked up. I'll Premium Subscribe to RR because there's value there for me. In its current state there is little value in the CD... that's all I'm saying.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
USPS was not an option for me in the pulldown menu. UPS only, and the lowest rate was
$10.25. I'm just in the next state over in Michigan.

Sorry, I just don't buy it.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Download version

I tweeted this, but just in case it wasn't seen. The April 2009 CDROM I received is really off balance and makes a heck of a noise when run in the drive. How about a download version that can be updated more frequently with a subscription, then we can save it to a hard drive, CDROM, or Thumb Drive. Also we wouldn't need to worry about the shipping cost.:twisted:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The CD-ROM is off balance? That's a first :) Does it exhibit the same behavior in other CD-ROM drives?

Right now, we don't have any plans to make a downloadable version available....but we might look at doing that at some point in the future.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes it does. It sounds like the drive is going to fly apart when accessed. It gave me an error the first time I tried to access it. If you like I can send it to you for evaluation. Much better on a thumb drive or the hard drive.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Update to let everyone know. ScannerMaster replaced the CDROM and then new one is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.