FCC NPRM for Personal Radio Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProducerGuy

Lots Of Reading To Do

Thanks for the eye-opener !

I would propose several things on GMRS, in order to bring the rules up to date. First, the 50-watt power limit should be measured at whatever point the antenna connects to the equipment. For instance, for a repeater station, power should be measured at the output of the duplexers, since a LOSS of power is usually seen when using duplexers, even if this means the actual repeater transmitter might be running more than 50 watts. Maybe that's a bit much ???

I see no problem with gain antennas, whether omni vertical, or beam yagi's. As I understand, the height rule has always been 20 feet either "above the ground" or no more than 20 feet above the structure (house, tower). Let's not all rush out and put a GMRS repeater on the highest building/tower in town !

Due to cost, a decent GMRS station is a bit much for lots of folks, and only those who really want GMRS are going to invest in it. What I see a problem with, is the (proliferation of) "bubble pack" radios being used by a consuming public with little to no technical knowledge about radio, let alone the difference between FRS and GMRS, and the fact that UNLICENSED operation is only allowed on channels 8-14 of the newer radios. We could put a stop to that by going back to dedicated FRS radios, and eliminating the dual-purpose "bubble pack" radios of late. Besides, if a consumer paid good money for a radio, they're not going to want the FCC telling them they aren't allowed to use all that they paid for.

Let there be 12.5 AND 25 KHz for the time being, and encourage narrowband transition to coincide with the 2013 rules. Newer equipment is usually made to work 12.5 KHz anyway, so this should only be a problem for operators with "ancient" equipment. However, if one continues to use older 25 KHz equipment, they must accept any interference.

I'm ALL FOR extending the license term to TEN YEARS, at whatever monetary price (currently $85). Perhaps lowering that price to $50 would bring more GMRS newbies, but also serve as a filter for poor operators. The age 18 thing was due to the fact that a minor couldn't legally enter into a contract - in this case, an application for a Federal license. Let's keep that rule, since a GMRS license covers everyone in the immediate family anyway. Want your own license ? Wait until your 18th birthday.

I DO NOT want to see GMRS and Marine on the same radio. Marine radios require yet another license. Some consumers are just plain stupid, and won't understand how/when/where to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.