RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News - Announcements and News of interest to the entire RadioReference/Broadcastify Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. *** Please post regional and manufacturer specific news in the appropriate regional or manufacturer forum. Thanks. ***

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 6:21 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
Okay, guys.... I will take my lumps! You have to understand... I live in an area where nothing ever goes on... I am surprised there are even repeaters here, for that matter.....
Hmmm, Mayberry, N.C. ?

Just kidding!

n9zas
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 PM

OK. Very educational. This made me do more research and I see great points have been made here about ham radio being used in several cases to really be of assistance. Around here it has always been mindless rag-chewing, but that's just here. I stand corrected on it's emergency value after looking at things carefully.

Now I do wonder, who really wants these bands? ALL police agencies in this state are either in the 700/800 mhz range or getting systems tested to be there. Who on earth is planning a move to 140/220/440, and why?

Got my first Bearcat 3 as a child, owned about everything else since then.
Old 04-05-2011, 6:35 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Hmmm, Mayberry, N.C. ?

Just kidding!

n9zas
Actually..... Andy Griffith DOES live here.....
Echolink Node #581717
Old 04-05-2011, 6:37 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
Actually..... Andy Griffith DOES live here.....

Well...Golleee! I wouldn't have thunk it.

n9zas
Old 04-06-2011, 2:15 AM

I'm pissed off the FCC allowed wireless thermometers on the 433 band. I get interference from these as apparently all my neighbors have them. 433 range is great for simplex, cept for them dam thermometers.

Wasn't the trasition from analog to digital TV supposed to clear up some of the band congestion for radio communication aside from the 700Mhz sector? Also didn't the FCC screw something up in the C or D block that caused interference along the Canadian border and forced a re-band in one of the blocks?
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Affected Frequency Range

I agree this could have a large effect on 440 mhz machines. One of the great benefits is in the ARES / RACES arena who have setup mulit site systems in the band. I've posted the band plan in my area, and one example is the linking frequencies that would be pulled along with the simplex and ATV ranges.

As for who wants these frequencies, it really is a matter of looking at the commercial radio spectrum on either side of these bands. Those will be ones who would be bidding on these frequencies if they are placed for auction in 10 years if HR 607 passes.

*420.00 - 426.00 ATV Repeater Output (421.25 Video Carrier) (Shared with Aux links and experimential)
420.10 - 420.20 Auxiliary Links and experimental
426.00 - 432.00 ATV Simplex (427.25 Video Carrier)
430.05 - 430.95 Digital Simplex ( Six 100 Khz wide channels)
431.025 Digital Simplex (25 Khz wide channel)
432.00 - 432.07 EME
432.07 - 432.10 Weak Signal CW
432.10 CW calling frequency
432.10 - 432.30 Mixed mode and weak signal
432.30 - 432.40 Propagation Beacons
432.40 - 433.00 Mixed mode and weak signal
*433.00 - 435.00 Auxiliary Links on 25 Khz spacing starting at 433.025 and going to 434.975 Mhz
435.00 - 438.00 Satelite only (International)
*438.00 - 444.00 ATV repeater input (439.250 Video Carrier) (Shared by digital and repeater outputs)
Old 04-07-2011, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemt601 View Post
Uh, Phoenix_Scanner .... just because you don't read about it in the paper or online doesn't mean it didn't happen. You have no first hand knowledge of what you speak and thus the majority of your post is hearsay.
Actually, he was about 70% right about the aftermath of Ike. The only widespread use of amateur radio in disaster relief was for communication from the food/water PODs back to command. When some of the local public safety systems experienced failures the affected users went to other sites, went to simplex, or just plain went without. Read more of my firsthand account here: Ham Radio and Ike at Hamsexy dot com

Comparing Ike to Katrina is disingenuous at best. In no way, shape, or form was the damage as severe or widespread in the aftermath of Ike as it was post-Katrina. And although many of the poorer and farther-outlying areas suffered mightily and are still suffering today in some places, for most of us in metro Houston life was more or less back to normal within 2-3 weeks of landfall when electricity was restored and gas stations were restocked.