Ads have been removed from the forums for premium subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

I'm pleased to announce that effective immediately, premium subscribers will no longer see ads in the forums (except for the top Scanner Master ad).

This is the first step in our plans to remove most ads site-wide for premium subscribers.

Enjoy!!

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Ahh, just like the good old days (well, these days are still good too). Thank you!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's a big help - sometimes those ads can be a real pig, especially on this line at work.

best regards..Mike

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am still getting Ads. AT&T, Ads By Google,

Please read the announcement very carefully.

Folks,

I'm pleased to announce that effective immediately, premium subscribers will no longer see ads in the forums (except for the top Scanner Master ad).

This is the first step in our plans to remove most ads site-wide for premium subscribers.

Enjoy!!

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Do Premium (Via Audio Feed Provider) not fall into this same category? because I'm still getting forum ads in my state forum...

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Do Premium (Via Audio Feed Provider) not fall into this same category? because I'm still getting forum ads in my state forum...

What state forum? What Ads? You should not be seeing any ads in the forums. Audio feed providers are premium subscribers.

Will that include "Sponsored Links"?

grumps96, that includes "Sponsored Links"

brandon

Database Admin
This is great news. I hope it brings more subscribers too.
Thanks Lindsay!

trumpetboy50

Premium Subscriber
I would like to say, that I too am seeing Sponsored Links in the forums while being logged in as a premium user. I'm sure this problem will be resolved shortly. Great idea Lindsay!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
trumpet, diesel, you guys shouldn't be seeing ads now. Can you verify?

I found a few problems in the transition process that we ran this morning... it is rerunning and should take care of all the audio feed providers and others.

Thanks!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
OK, I guess I am late to the party. Why are ads such a big deal? Part of doing business as I see it. I hate to admit to Lindsay, but I have nver clicked on one. No income from GOOGLE from me. But still, they don't bother me in the least...

IMHO

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, I guess I am late to the party. Why are ads such a big deal? Part of doing business as I see it. I hate to admit to Lindsay, but I have nver clicked on one. No income from GOOGLE from me. But still, they don't bother me in the least...

IMHO

Mass-man,

You bring up some interesting questions and I'm happy to respond to you.

But first, I find it disappointing that we've had no short of 7 people post in this thread something to the effect that "I use Ad blockers, so I never see ads in the first place ha ha!!" I don't understand why these folks feel compelled to let the rest of the community know that they actively block ads. If you want to block ads in your browser that's fine, but why are some compelled to constantly proclaim to the the rest of the world that they are blocking all ads in their browser just baffles me. Maybe it's the "stick-it-to-the-man" mentality that some have, or may it's a "I figured this out, so look how awesome I am! FTW!!!" ...... Seriously?? :roll:

</rant>

I deleted all those posts that people made related to ad blockers, I'm not opposed to them, I just felt they were off topic and not appropriate to the discussion.

To answer your questions. The reason ads are a big deal to some is because there are a bunch of sites on the Internet that use ads for nefarious and ugly purposes. Bascially, they abuse the privilege of having your eyeballs on their page. In addition many ads on those sites engage in tactics to specifically circumvent the user's ability to close them (pop-unders etc). That stuff is awful. There are also ads that really distract a visitor's ability to view content. Examples include video ads that start without your permission, flashing ads, pop-ups, and full-screen ads that you must click through before you are allowed to read the content.

Those above referenced ad types are NEVER present on RadioReference.com. We use advertising in non-obtrusive manner and most of our ads provide relevant advertising to our members.

Finally, the ads are on the site because they work, people click on them, and people act on them. The ads on RadioReference generate between $700 and $1,500 a day in revenue for us. Why are they that successful? Because they aren't flashing at you, they (for the most part) aren't cheesy, they aren't pop-unders or pop ups (which reflect poorly), and they ARE targeted to your interests.

So, in a nutshell, that's why they are such a big deal for the folks that serve ads, and the folks that consume them.

Thanks,

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
THANKS for your insight. As always, well thought out and complete. I understand about all those ads out there, I see them everyday. I guess much like a newspaper that one wants to read, you must scan over the display ads and ignore if not interested. Or the TV programs with ads that we just ignore or mute the audio. I for one, DO NOT own a TV, so my time on the internet is great. Since RR NEVER had any of those obnoxious ads, I guess they never bothered me. And yes, I did NOTICE they were targeted to users of this group, I just never had a reason to click on them. So I guess I am confessing to have noticed some of them, just never enough interest to click and read further.

I find if a site consistently uses pop up or under ads, I quit going to that site. There are plenty out there to explore.

For all of your thought into this, THANKS!!! One of the reasons RR is the second site I open whenever I turn on a computer!!!! Sorry, GOOGLE is first!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.