Open Sky Article in Palm Beach Post (FL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
The PBG Officers audio sounds like my Magicjack when the connection runs slow....

I would think the union would be all over that. Considering how upon the arrival of the PBSO unit using the County 813A system the problems went away. I don't understand why a simple google search with "Opensky" wouldn't raise up red flags all over the place. New Yorkers pushed hard to get that garbage scrapped.

And to boot, the cost to switch to County is $60,000 vs. more than double. All I have to say is someone is getting their palm greased and following the money will probably show that soon enough. Got to love politics.

Hey Mark, keep up the good work down there !

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Yah this definitely sounds like an equipment issue. When his voice started stuttering like that, it sounded exactly like when my computer freezes if i'm listening to something, the voice will stutter repeat like that until I re-boot the computer. The whole system is just junk.

Jason

gcr33

Can anyone show me an Open Sky system that works properly? Just wondering.

ButchGone

MA/Com, which Harris took over, was and may stilll be a MAJOR lobbying force that spent HUGE volumes of cash on politicians in Florida.
And yes, OpenSky has been a nightmare in states that bought it. Of course New York state dumped OpenSky and it's $2-billion statewide project when it failed miserably in Buffalo.
BG..

home121

Excellent

Very nice copy on the audio or should i say poor audio,what a mess and the cost of this Open Sky is unreal not to mention the millions to fix a brand new system. It has not worked anywhere. And again the taxpayer will flip the bill.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Very nice copy on the audio or should i say poor audio,what a mess and the cost of this Open Sky is unreal not to mention the millions to fix a brand new system. It has not worked anywhere. And again the taxpayer will flip the bill.

I have a full version of the recording. There is more than what the Post has on-line, including at the end a female officer yelling into the radio trying to take a suspect in custory. You can barely understand what she says due to the Max Headroom imitation..

APX7500X2

No.

Except in a laboratory, that is.

If Harris had any smarts, they'd drop OpenScam from their product line, immediately.

Elroy

Harris did drop it and will never install an open sky system again. It is beond crap
They are stuck on this one because it started in 1999.
What city takes 12+ years to get a system going.
In CT The city of Stamford went from an GE system to Motorola P25 trunked.
From start (Thinking about changing) to 100% up and running was 5 years

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
I have a full version of the recording. There is more than what the Post has on-line, including at the end a female officer yelling into the radio trying to take a suspect in custory. You can barely understand what she says due to the Max Headroom imitation..

Do you have a link where the whole recording can be heard?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Can anyone show me an Open Sky system that works properly? Just wondering.

Newton county, GA, just east of ATL, uses an 800MHz OpenSky- haven't heard of any issues with the system as the plethora of others report. But then, I've never heard it in use.

Did not Las Vegas Metro PD migrate to BrokenSky?

Mark, why did these cities opt to buy their own closed walled garden system, that is incompatible with PBC, when they admit that the PBC TRS has superior coverage? is it a capacity concern? voice privacy? is it because it isn't "digital" and they fear that in 2013 it will get shut off because some radio sales turd filled their heads full of lies?

It just seems flat out retarded to not use a county's system, if it works well and everyone else is on it, which seems to be the case in Palm Beach county.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Harris did drop it and will never install an open sky system again.
I wish this were true, but two entities in Texas have signed on for OpenSky systems in the last year: Centerpoint Energy (former Houston Lighting & Power, replacing a very old Motorola system) and Lower Colorado River Authority (replacing a multi-site wide-area analog EDACS system.) To their credit LCRA is also installing a 700 MHz Harris P25 system to carry the public safety users on the existing EDACS system, and Centerpoint's system will be used primarily for mobile data (which is currently on 451 MHz separate from the Motorola trunk) and phone patch; they're not very big two-way users to begin with.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Mark, why did these cities opt to buy their own closed walled garden system, that is incompatible with PBC, when they admit that the PBC TRS has superior coverage? is it a capacity concern? voice privacy? is it because it isn't "digital" and they fear that in 2013 it will get shut off because some radio sales turd filled their heads full of lies?

Due to my professional position I can't answer in an on-line forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.