JSO To Take Police Scanners From Media Jax FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

rankin39

Just publish/broadcast every possible negative story and none of the positive ones about that Department right through the next political campaign and election and see how long it takes them to get tired of being spanked in the media. They'll always try to use "public safety" and "security" to try to keep the press away. Don't let them. Openness to the media is part of what they're paid for.

Bob

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Doesn't surprise me one bit, I bet we'll see more of this down the road.

As a freelance videographer, I show up to newsworthy calls I hear on the scanner for my job. And yes, some members of the media have done some stupid things, like show up to cop killer sightings before SWAT gets there.

But I use the scanner as a tool whether to approach the scene or not. K9 tracking? I wait till they're done. Fire rescue told stage? Probably for a good reason so I stage as well. Active shootout? No thanks, I don't get paid enough.

Now all the freelancers and media over in JAX are going to follow every flying police car and show up to any viewer tip with no knowledge of whats going on. Or, dispatch lines are going to be tied up with media calls for information that they could have obtained themselves via the radio.

Looks like their PIO has their work cut out for them.

wsmoore

Database Admin
The media didn't care when they took it away from the citizens,but now they do!!!!
JSO's greed is going to bite them in the butt one day!!!!!! Way to build trust in the community JSO!!

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The JSO is NOT taking away "scanners", they are taking away the Motorola radio equipment. JSO is operating a digital TRS that is encrypted and the only way you are going to receive the encrypted signal is with the equipment that either JSO gave them or programmed the equipment for them. A simple STUN or remove their ID from the TRS will stop the media from receiving. It WON'T stop people within the JSO from contacting the media to give them tips.

n5ims

Looking at the picture, it appears that they're using a Uniden BC895XLT scanner (News 4 Jax - Image). How does that pick up the encrypted system that JSO uses?

Based on this thread that appears to be related (http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-forum/216636-police-scanner-encryption.html), the SO provided an XTS-5000R and wanted it back "to issue to their new officers". The report indicates that the press offered to purchase their own radios (as was suggested in that related thread) but then the Sheriff changed his story as to why the radios were being pulled.

wsmoore

Database Admin
Correct JSO leased them radios with the 6 police zones only in the radio.When the media was told JSO had to cut cost and the radios had to come back the media said we will buy them from you. JSO then claimed Safety Issues.JSO has many TG's they can use so the meidia can't hear them.It's a power play by JSO!!! The local news is also editing my comment about them on their Facebook page.So who is telling the truth??? That's why I want to listen so I can decide for myself!!!!

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
This is not just JSO, this is the trend in Florida, Orlando and several other agencies have already encrypted and not allowed any access to even patrol channels which is crap, but we in Florida do nothing but complain and let them do it

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
This is not just JSO, this is the trend in Florida, Orlando and several other agencies have already encrypted and not allowed any access to even patrol channels which is crap, but we in Florida do nothing but complain and let them do it

It's true... assuming this list is up to date, guess which state has the most encrypted agencies?

Encrypted Agencies - The RadioReference Wiki

RadioDaze

So here I am reading a story about scanners, and seeing a picture of a Bearcat scanner. The story says that the radios the the newsroom has are capable of receiving encrypted transmissions. What am I missing? Is there, in fact, a mod that will allow that Bearcat to accept an authorized encryption key?

If not, then this is a sloppy story. Is there a pattern of these types of inaccuracies that the JSO may be getting tired of?

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
In the digital age, secrecy has become the new norm . If i sold for the big M- Why not sell them scrambling, it is probably already in the radio, and just needs programming. With all the tight budgets its amazing how all the places find money to upgrade their systems by spending lots of $$ for digital. And then still complain that its really is no better. It seems like Nine eleven has made every agency paranoid.

vinzep491

So here I am reading a story about scanners, and seeing a picture of a Bearcat scanner. The story says that the radios the the newsroom has are capable of receiving encrypted transmissions. What am I missing? Is there, in fact, a mod that will allow that Bearcat to accept an authorized encryption key?

If not, then this is a sloppy story. Is there a pattern of these types of inaccuracies that the JSO may be getting tired of?

Is it not possilbe that the BC reciever was set to other freq's not of the JSO's? Maybe the newscaster wanted the excitement of a scanner talking in the background of his story but didn't want to fuel the tension with with the SO by blatently playing their traffic over the air.... You can clearly see the two xts5000's in the video that they are refering to. The story isn't sloppy at all.. I actually think it did a great job reporting it in a way that would get the public concerned and on their side.

And no, there isnt a mod to ANY scanner on the market to accept an ENC key.

CalebATC

Is it not possilbe that the BC reciever was set to other freq's not of the JSO's? Maybe the newscaster wanted the excitement of a scanner talking in the background of his story but didn't want to fuel the tension with with the SO by blatently playing their traffic over the air.... You can clearly see the two xts5000's in the video that they are refering to. The story isn't sloppy at all.. I actually think it did a great job reporting it in a way that would get the public concerned and on their side.

And no, there isnt a mod to ANY scanner on the market to accept an ENC key.

You took that a little to seriously :)

He was joking about that, but I am with him about the Bearcat- unless they have that rigged up for the airport freqeuncies. That'd be my guess.

sc800

Correct JSO leased them radios with the 6 police zones only in the radio.When the media was told JSO had to cut cost and the radios had to come back the media said we will buy them from you. JSO then claimed Safety Issues.JSO has many TG's they can use so the meidia can't hear them.It's a power play by JSO!!! The local news is also editing my comment about them on their Facebook page.So who is telling the truth??? That's why I want to listen so I can decide for myself!!!!

If this is true, it sounds more like a budget/power issue being masked as a safety issue. I will bet that there was a conversation that went like this:

Higher up: We need to cut costs, cut your equipment budget

Lower officer: Why do we need to get our budget cut when our equipment is nearly unsafe, but the media is running around with our radios. My radio was down for repairs more than it was working...

and you get the idea.

X

xts3000r

Florida is by far, the most screwed up state on the East Coast.

i will never want to live there. more less stay a night there. to me its a black list state. as in no scanner can here what going on

Murstech

Sounds like a whole new industry is being born. And the product is keys to the system. I wonder if the News Media would ask questions if someone tried to sell them a working radio? Not a stolen one. The guy selling it better have documentation that he bought the radio himself. I guess he could just buy one and program it if he had the keys? Needless to say if this is important to a competing industry like the media they will pay money to have the edge. And the longer the Police believe they have their privacy the more secure they will feel.

w2txb

I would not be surprised to hear more of these sorts of stories; in my area, the regional newspaper chain has often included in its stories, "According to scanner reports, ..."

As for transparency, the literal meaning of that word is becoming the result. There is so much transparency that what people want and need to see is now being made invisible... so much for that cliche. ;)

northscan23

The media in Jacksonville should meet with the police chief to come up with a compromise soo that the public can still be informed about major incidents. Utilize the Internet!! Hey maybe Casey Anthony is hiding out in Jacksonville and the police don't want the media to chase her around!!

Status
Not open for further replies.