RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News - Announcements and News of interest to the entire RadioReference/Broadcastify Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. *** Please post regional and manufacturer specific news in the appropriate regional or manufacturer forum. Thanks. ***

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM
loumaag's Avatar
Silent Key - Aug 2014
   
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 13,132
Default RadioReference Mentors

Radio Reference, and its predecessor TrunkedRadio.net, has always relied on its members to lend a hand or to share their experience and knowledge with those newer members. Since 2004 the membership has grown to 470,000 plus members. Many of those members are new to the hobby and come here looking for help. Over the years, the staff has noticed that there are some members that are especially helpful to those newcomers to the hobby. Sometimes these folks give out advice and sometimes they just answer questions and they never seem to expect any recognition for the valuable resource that they are. This is not to say that the membership as a whole is not helpful, generally it is, but some members just stand out as being very helpful, especially to the newcomers.

As such, we want to recognize those folks as someone who is helpful and courteous and also make them recognizable to the membership as a person who lends a non-critical hand to those that need it. With little fanfare, we are going to change their membership title from “Member” to “Mentor” so that these folks have some recognition of the value we believe they provide to the site.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 1:16 PM
trkntrlrman's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Desert Hot Springs, CA.
Posts: 179
Default

Out standing Idea, Nice to see a group that pays attention... Good work Guys!!
__________________
Trkntrlrman
BCD 996XT, BCD396XT, Pro 60, Pro 34
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 1:40 PM
CalebATC's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blairsville, Georgia
Posts: 992
Default

Hmm... I never thought about how some of us help out so much on this forum. Obviously, I'm not much of a help in the many forums, since I don't have the best ideas/experience with amateur radio antennas etc. but I do offer quite a bit of help, when I have the info, in the Aviation and Military forums. But what some of them do is a ton to what I help! I always love offering help!

This is a great idea to honor those who help! Many people come to mind who spend hour writing/helping people. I'm sure they are known by other people.

Not to mention there are a few (unnamed) who aren't really the best people (crap-stirs's).....
__________________
Private Pilot | Amateur Radio General K-4-C-N-G
Monitoring from 30 KHz to 1.2 Ghz, Operating 80-70cm
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 7:31 PM
n0lqt's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newton, KS
Posts: 570
Default

Hopefully, we are all "mentors" at one point or another around here.....
__________________
.....n0lqt_._
GridSq: EM18hb

Why is it a mobile news crew has never been abducted by aliens?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 8:24 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,789
Default

I agree, mentors create MORE mentors. I love RR for the simple fact that its a good exchange of information on anything radio, and even non-radio.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 9:32 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Orleans region
Posts: 2,380
Default

I had my start many years ago and was finding it hard to figure out which end was up. Somehow I managed to find a person who became a long time friend and a mentor. It made it much simpler to learn the ropes on how radios functioned, how to fix them and how to install them when one has a shoulder to lean on and get some pointers along the way. What it would take you years to learn by yourself, a mentor can sometimes show you in just a few hours.

Hope you all can find a mentor to lean on and be shown the way.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
loumaag's Avatar
Silent Key - Aug 2014
   
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 13,132
Default

As of yesterday evening, all three of the original folks we identified have accepted the title, one has already commented here in the topic. We (the staff) are not looking to add to the ranks of the mentors in any sort of rush, as we find folks who seem to be mentoring others (especially new folks), we will keep them under observation and at some point ask them if they want to be so identified.

The three folks we initially designated as mentors are:We aren't looking for nominations, nor will we consider self-promotion.

Last edited by loumaag; 08-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Moved a sentence to make it more visible.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2011, 8:46 PM
wlmr's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 411
Default

Cool idea! It'll be fun to watch posts to spot when mentors get recognition.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2011, 9:40 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 2,091
Default

Good choice of fmon, he not only helps on the VA forum but has sent files and actually met with others needing help in the Hampton Roads area.
__________________
"Freedom has ceased to be a birthright; it has come to mean whatever we are still permitted to do." Joe Sobran
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2011, 9:15 PM
Highpockets's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,808
Default

As far as Mentors go, I posted this in a thread by Lindsay about the new Badges, Ham Call, etc. maybe I should have posted it here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/1651943-post21.html

Both threads cover the subject, delete one if necessary.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2011, 7:28 AM
DickH's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumaag View Post
Radio Reference, and its predecessor TrunkedRadio.net, has always relied on its members to lend a hand or to share their experience and knowledge with those newer members. Since 2004 the membership has grown to 470,000 plus members. Many of those members are new to the hobby and come here looking for help. Over the years, the staff has noticed that there are some members that are especially helpful to those newcomers to the hobby. Sometimes these folks give out advice and sometimes they just answer questions and they never seem to expect any recognition for the valuable resource that they are. This is not to say that the membership as a whole is not helpful, generally it is, but some members just stand out as being very helpful, especially to the newcomers.

As such, we want to recognize those folks as someone who is helpful and courteous and also make them recognizable to the membership as a person who lends a non-critical hand to those that need it. With little fanfare, we are going to change their membership title from “Member” to “Mentor” so that these folks have some recognition of the value we believe they provide to the site.
That's a nice gesture Lou, but I think some of us help much less than we should because many people who seek help never reply when help is given. Here is a recent example. One person's first post ended like this " ... I don't even know what questions to ask!!"

Eight people responded with various offers of help, yet the OP never even acknowledged he saw the posts. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception. Such thoughtless, even rude, behavior discourages some of us.
__________________
Dick H
http://dickh.zenfolio.com
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2011, 9:14 AM
Highpockets's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickH View Post
That's a nice gesture Lou, but I think some of us help much less than we should because many people who seek help never reply when help is given. Here is a recent example. One person's first post ended like this " ... I don't even know what questions to ask!!"

Eight people responded with various offers of help, yet the OP never even acknowledged he saw the posts. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception. Such thoughtless, even rude, behavior discourages some of us.
I know how much you help here, but I disagree with you. When I post to help I don't look for a reply, if they do that's fine, if they don't I figured they figured it out or are just so lost they give up. And I find that most who get help thank you in the end. If the people that have the answers here don't help, what good is the site.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2011, 1:56 PM
N4CYA's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: GA!
Posts: 1,668
Default

I like seeing some forum members helping out the new forum members when their questions. Keep up the good work guys and ladies.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2011, 2:22 PM
OCO's Avatar
OCO OCO is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
I know how much you help here, but I disagree with you. When I post to help I don't look for a reply, if they do that's fine, if they don't I figured they figured it out or are just so lost they give up. And I find that most who get help thank you in the end. If the people that have the answers here don't help, what good is the site.
Attaboys are nice, but the real reason for feedback is to help the "helpers" improve the quality of their advice. Some answers may be fairly straight forward, but as with any remote troubleshooting, you just never know.........
__________________
"An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett
. Heathkit CR-1
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2011, 3:08 PM
Highpockets's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_CJDC_ops View Post
Attaboys are nice, but the real reason for feedback is to help the "helpers" improve the quality of their advice. Some answers may be fairly straight forward, but as with any remote troubleshooting, you just never know.........
What we need is a Helper Tutorial.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2011, 3:16 PM
OCO's Avatar
OCO OCO is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
What we need is a Helper Tutorial.
And maybe a " Helpee " one....
__________________
"An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett
. Heathkit CR-1
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 PM
scannerfreak's Avatar
Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,563
Default

Our newest Mentor is hiegtx
__________________

Forum Rules and Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2012, 9:08 AM
loumaag's Avatar
Silent Key - Aug 2014
   
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 13,132
Default New Mentor

As this morning we have a new mentor on the site. Tom (trsundstrom) has been added to the list of those folks recognized as mentors.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2012, 9:28 AM
trsundstrom's Avatar
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington County, NJ
Posts: 1,444
Default

Merci. I was surprised to receive yesterday's note.
__________________
Tom - W2XQ - w2xq.com
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 09-14-2012, 6:18 PM
One13Truck's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: N.E. Pa.
Posts: 557
Default

I try my best to pop in every few days and offer help when I can. IMO it's just a nice way to repay the people that have helped me out when I've been stuck through the years. I think this a great idea to recognize the ones that are eager to assist. Great choice on captclint!
__________________
I STILL use mutual aid numbers & 10 codes instead of plain language. I like them better & will keep using them.

210XLT, 120XLT, BCT2, Pro-90, Pro-2048, Pro-94, BCT15X, PSR-800,BCD396XT,BCD996XT
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advisors, mentoring, mentors, sticky, teachers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions