Pasadena, CA - Encryption of police radio is criticized

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayfreq

All the police have to do is say things like "911/Homeland Security", "Officer Safety", "Vehicle Stop Information" " Bad Guy Scanner Smart Phone Apps" and it's justified. More and more agencies will encrypt. Stringers and $500.00 digital scanners will be a thing of the past

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2GA-59) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Mods either delete this post or merge in CA forum.

SCPD

QRT
"We don't have to reinvent the wheel," Tornek said. "Glendale encrypts the tactical and operational communications so the bad guys can't listen in, and the public can listen to the rest."

Sounds reasonable to me.

DPD1

So first they said they'd give access to media... Then they reneged on that. Then they said they'd be happy to give access to logs... Then they reneged on that. The Chief and the City Attorney are delusional if they think they can just keep lying to everybody like this.

BlueCube1

All public service agencies, especially L.E., have a lot of "dirty laundry". They would like to handle it internally (or not !). When it becomes public, it limits their options as to how to handle it. And obviously it makes those in charge look bad. So the less access those "nosy scannists" and media can hear the better for them.

It's true that SWAT operations, drug-busts, and undercover op's could be compromised if those well-known talk-groups are in the clear (as much as I like to listen in !), But DISPATCH, give me a break. They really need to hide Family Disputes, 211's, 459's, GTA's, 415's, etc, etc that happen constantly all day and night??? Yeah, I know the bad-guy could have an I-Phone, and find out the cops are on the way.. So what, they are usually GOA when the officers get there anyway. So just ban the broadcast of law-enforcement agencies on the internet. The legality of such is questionable anyway. I have no problem with that. The "bad-guys" are too ignorant to figure out how to program a scanner, but they can use an I-Phone or Droid.

Status
Not open for further replies.