Etna, OH - Deputy: Internet better than scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibagli

Deputy: Internet better than scanners | The Newark Advocate | NewarkAdvocate.com

Licking County sheriff's Deputy Nick Pease demonstrated that computers beat old-fashioned scanners when it comes to staying on top of crime in one's neighborhood.

One of the sites he demonstrated with a Web projection on the wall was Radio Reference (radioreference.com). He told residents they should click on the tab in the upper menu called "Live Audio," then select the map of Ohio and then the map of Licking County.

GrumpyGuard

Appearently they don't understand that the audio comes from someones scanner. It's good to see that some Agencies still see the importance of keeping the public informed. A little more education on the deputies part and the article is a winner. I doubt Licking County will be encrypting anytime soon.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
The time delay between the live broadcast and the 'net feed while not real long , could also make a difference when following something going on on your block. Although if you are like a lot of people who don't turn the scanner on until the sirens are heard, then the delay works in your favor.

txscan

GrumpyGuard, you are right that it does come from someones scanner, but some people don't own scanners and with it being on RR it is accessible to anyone who has internet.

BlueCube1

There is a big difference if you are trying to monitor a specific incident. Online scanners usually have a few busy dispatch channels for an area. There are seldom tactical channels programmed in, and even if they are, you can't stop the thing from scanning. You can't park on the relevant channel(s).

Ideally, if you want to monitor an incident, you want to park on the tac channel(s) with one or more scanners, and keep scanning with another scanner.

So the idea that you would rather connect to a feed instead of listen directly is completely absurd.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
There is a big difference if you are trying to monitor a specific incident. Online scanners usually have a few busy dispatch channels for an area. There are seldom tactical channels programmed in, and even if they are, you can't stop the thing from scanning. You can't park on the relevant channel(s).

Ideally, if you want to monitor an incident, you want to park on the tac channel(s) with one or more scanners, and keep scanning with another scanner.

So the idea that you would rather connect to a feed instead of listen directly is completely absurd.

RadioReference does not permit tactical, car to car and surveillance channels/talkgroups to be broadcast over live feeds. So, that's a moot point insofar as a live feed is concerned, and a reinforcement of your point that a scanner is better.

mflume1

Premium Subscriber
Overall it's a good thing.

The Radio Reference live streams are good for people who don't have money to buy an expensive scanner for their area. Also I believe that the service can promote owning a scanner, if a listener decides they want more from the technology. Obviously owning your own machine, and actually multiple machines, is the most ideal. People should understand how the streaming works, they should understand that it still relies on basic scanner technology, and they should understand that the audio is delayed. All factors that could convert a casual listener into an owner. I firmly believe that more access to information is always beneficial.

KMD877-KMG983

Copy that, mflume. To me the big influence regarding streaming feeds is portability. If there is something going on that I need to keep tabs on while I'm busy with other activities, a smart phone with a Blue Tooth will keep me "in the loop." There are a lot of places you can't drag a scanner into or even carry a voice pager with the receiver turned on.

I am absolutely not suggesting that people replace a good quality scanner with feeds due to the ability to set scan priorities or mute irrelevant channels on a personal scanner, plus there's the feed delay issue, but the internet feeds do provide a great resource.

BlueCube1

I will tell you what I absolutely love the feeds for.It increases my "listening range" to nationwide, and beyond ! No matter how hard I try, I can't follow firefighting efforts in the Shasta National Forrest from my QTH in LA with any scanner. But with these fantastic feeds, I can be almost anywhere in the US ! I freaking love it !!!

But all of the feeds from LA put together can't compare to what I can do from my own listening post.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
To my understanding, there isn't a scanner in the sub-$1000 range that will scan 4 agencies simultaneously. RR.com and a computer with four brands of media players will play four feeds, without missing a mike click. And, you have the cache feed archives to boot.Multiply that by the number of computers in the room and, well, that's a lot of listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.