Las Vegas, NV - Police dump radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I read that article just now and I'm glad no officers, that we know of, were injured or put in life-threatening risk because of the dropped calls and dead zones. Hopefully they'll be able to get a new system figured out and soon that won't cost the department too much additional money. And yes, hopefully that new system will be monitorable by scanners. ;)

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
About time.. Better keep those VHF channels in your scanner.. I hope they filled a narrowband waiver just in case...

Mark40930

Premium Subscriber
As a commenter on the R-J's story had stated, Metro would be better off by going with one of the existing trunked systems here in southern Nevada.

One thing I am surprised that the story didn't mention was OpenSky's incompatibility with existing scanners. Hopefully they will do the smart thing and go with a P-25 system if they don't go trunked.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
They're not totally getting rid of it - they are keeping the system there for data.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I was in Vegas in July, and just from listening to the patched VHF channels I heard constant "Can you repeat? You went digital...". Over and over... and the audio would almost sound like you were playing an mp3 and your computer suddenly jumped to 90% cpu use... the audio would stutter very badly and almost sound like a record skipping. I'm surprised they put up with it that long!

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
So does this mean they go back to the old radios for now?

I doubt it. They'll probably "dump it" in the sense that they demand the vendor replace it with something that works. I'm betting they keep using it in the interim. They're also keeping it for data, so I'd be willing to bet that they keep the radios until any changeover.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
They're not totally getting rid of it - they are keeping the system there for data.

Which is, from what I have heard, OpenSky was orignally intended to do. After all these very public failures, I don't understand why Harris is still marketing the system.

com501

All they would have to do is reprogram the 7300s for the NSRS system which is in situ, and add some voice channels for capacity....

wellits about time someone got smart and realized that you cant beat the old radio system they are way better than these new so call p 25 systems which totally suck my hats off to the las vegas metro pd

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
Good for this Sheriff! I commend him on his great sense in his officer's safety. I hope other public safety officials take notice of this; it IS OK to dump an undependable system.
They would be better off going back to their VHF system, like they had when I worked out there. I never had a problem on that system, and I was 'off the map' more than once on jobs, and never had a problem inside any building.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
One thing I am surprised that the story didn't mention was OpenSky's incompatibility with existing scanners. Hopefully they will do the smart thing and go with a P-25 system if they don't go trunked.

I am sure that scanner listeners was the 2nd thing that crossed their mind with this....

And P25, what do you mean? P25 is just a digital format and can be used in several ways... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.