Wireless Companies will to add TEXT to 911

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Text-to-9-1-1 capabilities will arrive on the networks of the "Big 4" wireless carriers in 2014 under an historic agreement reached today between NENA - The 9-1-1 Association, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile, and the Association for Public-Safety Communications Officials International (APCO).

"Big 4" Wireless Carriers Will Deploy Text-to-9-1-1 Capabilities on their Networks in 2014 - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee

Wireless communications carriers agree to ramp up text-to-911 efforts | Government Security News

Nationwide Wireless Carriers Agree to Deploy Text-to-911 Capabilities | Communications content from Fire Chief

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Good! It needed to happen long before now. ;)

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
I agree. This is going to be a very good tool for 911 operators and everyone. I'm sure it will save many lives

True. I can think of many instances where texting would be more advantageous that speaking to the t.c.

n9zas

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
It will have its good and bad all around. With text abbreviations and misspelled words that will pose a problem for dispatchers. Texting crucial information will be great. It doenst need to be abused like calling 911 is so often for non-emergencies.

There needs to be more public awareness on what is a true emergency and what isnt.

Another key thing I would like to see change is old unsubscribed cell phones only calling 911. That is a big problem with people buying new phones and giving their old phones to the kids. When one of those phones calls 911 it doesnt show a valid # or any information for that matter, just the cell company and tower the call is coming from. Big issue there. Take the batteries out if you are going to let kids play with those old phones please. It just ties up 911 lines for people needing help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are some issues that will need to be addressed:

Text Messaging is a "best effort" system. There is no guarantee that your text will reach it's destination. You basically text in the blind and hope it gets where it's going. It almost always does, but with texting you don't always know for sure if and when your message arrives.

There isn't a means to make sure your texts arrive at the PSAP in the right order. Messages arriving out of order will cause confusion.

Multiple people sending text messages to 911 for a large disaster will create a big backlog of messages that will need to be dealt with. What happens if one of those in amongst the hundreds of other ones is for a medical call at a different location? Is that one going to get missed?

911 dispatch centers are already under funded and under staffed. Expecting dispatchers to take on additional duties to weed through the messages on top of the phone calls, radio calls, record keeping and everything else is going to create some issues. Government keeps raiding the 911 coffers and making things worse.

I'm not against this, I just know this isn't going to be a cheap and easy solution. I'd still rather have a direct voice conversation with a dispatcher. I can agree that texting has it place in modern society, but I'm concerned about people relying on it.
Let's hope they work all that out before it goes live.

Command30

911 dispatch centers are already under funded and under staffed. Expecting dispatchers to take on additional duties to weed through the messages on top of the phone calls, radio calls, record keeping and everything else is going to create some issues.

Sounds exactly like an argument that could have been made when cellular phones became popular. Or when payphones started cropping up on street corners.

"How are we going to handle additional duties?"

Adapt or die, I would think.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sounds exactly like an argument that could have been made when cellular phones became popular. Or when payphones started cropping up on street corners.

Exactly, but it will take time and training. This needs to happen, just saying it isn't going to be easy and flawless. Controlling expectations and being realistic about how this will work is more important than the whizz-bang announcements.

cinsu

You would think? Try doing the job for a few hours then think.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

gewecke

Banned
You would think? Try doing the job for a few hours then think.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Been in the the shoes of a t.c. before and the incoming call whether it be voice or text is only as understood as the caller makes it. Drama queens and gang trainees from the "hood" texting 911 PSAP's with their culture-laden texts are only going to be one more issue to train for among the myriad of other dysfunctional crap that comes in. But the calls which are truly emergencies that can be cleared from reliable voice or text calls will make the technology worthwhile! :wink:

n9zas

cinsu

Right-o, I'm referring to the additional duties part...I am not only the PD dispatcher but now I am expected to listen to sheriff, fire, EMS, answer the phone and anything else my officers could possibly come up with. Every year something new is added to the workload with less people and for the near future, less pay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

gewecke

Banned
Right-o, I'm referring to the additional duties part...I am not only the PD dispatcher but now I am expected to listen to sheriff, fire, EMS, answer the phone and anything else my officers could possibly come up with. Every year something new is added to the workload with less people and for the near future, less pay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gotcha, tell them to make their own coffee tho...:wink:

n9zas

jeremyphoto23

Many agencies STILL have not taken on the additional duties of taking primary Cellular 911 calls for their jurisdiction, including those that cover an area of 500,000+ people. In Sacramento, both Sac PD and Sac Sheriff still receive 911 Cell transfers from the CHP Comm Ctr, or other smaller agencies who happen to get the calls off towers in their jurisdiction. Two things are hindering those agencies from receiving calls directly; a much needed upgrade in technology (911 PSAP equipment) and staffing. Sac PD is currently down staffed by at LEAST 40 dispatchers. Lack of updated technology and staffing levels are an issue in many areas, Sac is just one example in CA.

There still needs to be a lot done across the US when it comes to PSAPs before 911 texting will work on an operational level at agencies, not to mention the need to educate the public. I still take 911 calls at work from people reporting non emergencies on a daily basis. (i.e. Barking dog, loud music, or mistaking 911 or 411!)

Status
Not open for further replies.