Riverside, CA - New sheriff’s radios shut out public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — When the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department rolls out a new radio system early in 2013, deputies will be able to more easily communicate with dispatchers and, in case of a regional emergency, other public-safety agencies.

RIVERSIDE COUNTY: New sheriff

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
"Sheriff’s Lt. Eric Briddick, who is overseeing the transition of the radio system, said it is important to encrypt the signal so criminals – who thanks to technological advances can monitor police frequencies on smart phones – will no longer know whether officers are on their way.
Briddick said he could not recall someone using a police scanner while committing a crime in Riverside County but has heard of it happening elsewhere.
A check of Internet news reports found an officer-safety bulletin in Maryland that described officers hearing their radio chatter on a fleeing suspect’s smart phone. In Indiana, a getaway driver at a pharmacy robbery almost got away after hearing on his smart phone app that police were on their way. It’s not illegal to listen to public-safety frequencies, but it is illegal to do so to help commit a crime."

This says it all, thanks to online streaming, another agency chooses encryption.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why in a world filled with so many techno wizzes can't someone develop something to break this ADP? And what's with this stupid streaming. If you want to hear California go get a plane ticket and travel there. Maybe in a way this is a blessing as only a few really endowed people will have the technical expertise to crack these less strong forms of encryption. Boy it would be cool to be the only one in town to be able to listen.

dupree617

Premium Subscriber
"Sheriff’s Lt. Eric Briddick, who is overseeing the transition of the radio system, said it is important to encrypt the signal so criminals – who thanks to technological advances can monitor police frequencies on smart phones – will no longer know whether officers are on their way.
Briddick said he could not recall someone using a police scanner while committing a crime in Riverside County but has heard of it happening elsewhere.
A check of Internet news reports found an officer-safety bulletin in Maryland that described officers hearing their radio chatter on a fleeing suspect’s smart phone. In Indiana, a getaway driver at a pharmacy robbery almost got away after hearing on his smart phone app that police were on their way. It’s not illegal to listen to public-safety frequencies, but it is illegal to do so to help commit a crime."

This says it all, thanks to online streaming, another agency chooses encryption.

Even though we have never met, you have just taken the words right out of my mouth. I'm going to get some crap for this, but I actually not like the scanner apps. Because then your opening it up to people other then true scanner hobbyist. I not think the police could care less if law abiding scanner hobbyist are listening in, there more concern about the criminals listening in. The scanner apps seemed to make it way to easy for the criminals to listen in. And I say this, but also agree that officers operating in the clear helps keep them honest. Just my two cent in this.

Mike Dupree

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
I dont get this at all....

WHY DO THEY CARE WHO LISTENS???????? -- Its not like someone is going to steal thier calls!!!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I dont get this at all....

WHY DO THEY CARE WHO LISTENS???????? -- Its not like someone is going to steal thier calls!!!

You apparently have never looked at this from any angle other than from a hobbyist's point of view.

grem467

Dont tell people here that, they will argue with you and tell you that streaming has nothing to do with agencies encrypting. This is a very hot topic in the industry and it comes up with agencies we meet with more than you would believe. A fire agency here is looking at enc SOLELY because of the audio streamed/archived of the fire fighters being shot. I have been talking with this agency prior and they had minimal interest in encryption. Now they are asking how do they prevent their audio from being broadcast to the world. They will justify it with HIPPA, but rest assured smartphone streaming and audio archives are hurting the very hobby this site was created to promote.

lschmidt

POLICE SCANNERS AND FAMILY SAFETY
A SCANNER IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOLS TO HAVE ON HAND IN AN EMERGENCY !!!

For many scanner enthusiasts like myself, a police scanner is one of the most valuable tools we can have nearby when disaster strikes! Why? Because critical and timely information is key in the aftermath of any major emergency, disaster, or other "large-scale" event. The only sure way to get timely up-to-date and critical information after a disaster is by monitoring a police scanner. Television and radio broadcast information is not a viable option as information via those sources is often delayed, sketchy, or unconfirmed at best. Besides emergency disasters, a police scanner can be a valuable source of information during other life-threatening situations. How? Well, everyday in neighborhoods across America, police and fire personnel respond to tens- of-thousands of calls for assistance. The majority of those calls for service are minor in nature, meaning there is no immediate danger to the public at large. On the flip side, there are those calls that do pose a serious threat to life and/or property. These range anywhere from power outages to severe weather,dangerous police situations including high-speed pursuits, suspect foot chases, neighborhood lock-downs for an outstanding suspect search ("suspect containments"), barricaded suspects, hostage situations, or even worse, an armed suspect on a deadly rampage. By monitoring the public safety emergency radio communications in your local area, you will get important information in "real-time" as events unfold around you. Armed with this information, you can take any necessary action to protect you and your family and even avoid unseen dangers before it’s too late! Now there are just way too many communities taking this away by going to unmonitorable radio systems.This is actually endangering citizens more by keeping them from knowing about ongoing situations in their neighborhoods.If there is any kind of a threat around,people do HAVE A RIGHT to know about it!!

Rekd

^^^ I live in a rural area. A few weeks ago I saw a line of sheriff's going slowly up a road near my house. I live on a dead end road and figured they were on their way to a raid so I turned on the scanner and listened to the whole thing. When the sheriff helicopter showed up and started circling the suspects house it was going directly over my house, which put the suspect a small country block away.

We heard 3 rapid shots fired so I brought the kids inside, locked the doors and we armed ourselves. Within a minute or two we heard on the scanner that the shots were from the LEOs shooting the suspect's dog and they had caught 2 bonus suspects but not the original. After 5 minutes we heard they got the original suspect and were finished and would need animal control to come out and pick up the dog's body.

With 7 and 10 year old kids and my wife in the house it was a relief to be able to know what was going on when we heard the shots and when it was over and safe to go outside.

Another case last week involved a report of semi-automatic gunshots near a residence. Guy was on private property and shooting safely. Turns out the sheriff that responded was my son's old scout master and the suspects were a couple of friend's of mine, one of which also knew the scout master. They were allowed to continue shooting (using home-made AR15s that are unregistered) without incident.

It's also nice to know when there are accidents on the road here. I commute on one of the most dangerous country roads in San Diego county and there are only 4 ways out of here so knowing when I have to go around before getting locked in is a bonus.

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Yea right...Ansul..because then the whole county can support illegal activites by their sheriffs department and hide behind encryption.. you know all cops are on the take and all firemen do is sit and play checkers in their red suspenders..

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
that is all well and good BUT

POLICE SCANNERS AND FAMILY SAFETY
A SCANNER IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOLS TO HAVE ON HAND IN AN EMERGENCY !!!

For many scanner enthusiasts like myself, a police scanner is one of the most valuable tools we can have nearby when disaster strikes! Why? Because critical and timely information is key in the aftermath of any major emergency, disaster, or other "large-scale" event. The only sure way to get timely up-to-date and critical information after a disaster is by monitoring a police scanner. Television and radio broadcast information is not a viable option as information via those sources is often delayed, sketchy, or unconfirmed at best. Besides emergency disasters, a police scanner can be a valuable source of information during other life-threatening situations. How? Well, everyday in neighborhoods across America, police and fire personnel respond to tens- of-thousands of calls for assistance. The majority of those calls for service are minor in nature, meaning there is no immediate danger to the public at large. On the flip side, there are those calls that do pose a serious threat to life and/or property. These range anywhere from power outages to severe weather,dangerous police situations including high-speed pursuits, suspect foot chases, neighborhood lock-downs for an outstanding suspect search ("suspect containments"), barricaded suspects, hostage situations, or even worse, an armed suspect on a deadly rampage. By monitoring the public safety emergency radio communications in your local area, you will get important information in "real-time" as events unfold around you. Armed with this information, you can take any necessary action to protect you and your family and even avoid unseen dangers before it’s too late! Now there are just way too many communities taking this away by going to unmonitorable radio systems.This is actually endangering citizens more by keeping them from knowing about ongoing situations in their neighborhoods.If there is any kind of a threat around,people do HAVE A RIGHT to know about it!!

I think the REAL issue is it's just too easy now with the scanner apps on smart phones. Things USED to be harder- take youtube for example, now any schlub can post crap. Same with the scanners- USED to be only radio philes would have them, or hard core crooks- now it's EVERY one with a stupid smart phone (heh, pun) I don't blame the sheriffs. If they did it OUR way they'd just make it illegal to STREAM the feed, but don't take it away from us! What else would all those old retired fogeys do with their time?

kd5vjn1307

Why in a world filled with so many techno wizzes can't someone develop something to break this ADP? And what's with this stupid streaming. If you want to hear California go get a plane ticket and travel there. Maybe in a way this is a blessing as only a few really endowed people will have the technical expertise to crack these less strong forms of encryption. Boy it would be cool to be the only one in town to be able to listen.

See...thats the thing. everyone always knows something somewhere. Encryption with the right equipment and time isn't that hard to break. Its just illegal. I know from my experiences that people can do. But...officer safety is key. In larger towns where more higher tiered occur, this is important. As technology advances, it works for and against the user. MDC 1200, GPS, other digital encodes. Anyone with the knowledge can access these things. This can prove to be counter productive to any public safety efforts the a department tries. Do i agree with
encryption on police bands? Yes and no. For normal traffic stops and daily traffic, not particularly. I lived in a college town working security. Spent many a late night listening to traffic, laughing at some of the things that happen. Other the other side, to make sure the good guys go home at night, Some things are better left unheard as it were.

kb2vxa

Banned
"This is going to get good. Pop corn anyone?"

Yet another anti-encryption rantfest, you've seen one you've seen them all. Nothing to see here, move along. I SAID MOVE ALONG!

Attachments

• police.png
    police.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 5,452

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
The only reason that the police want there radios encrypted is so they can do illegal stuff and get away with it.

With that attitude...I think your into the wrong hobby.

Why not go rob a gas station or something ? Isn't there an occupy protest you can waste your time with ?

Even encrypted radio traffic has be be recorded on the agency's logging recorder. If you that paranoid, then file a open records request for logging audio so you can check up on them.

Joel_p

Hello,

I think encryption will only prevent the streaming of radio transmission to legal sites. However, the scanner enthusiast will still be able to hear the transmissions by using illegal de-coders which I will see as becoming common as more encrypted systems are deployed.
I can see in the not so distant future a pirate version of RR based in Panama or Switzerland popping up with illegal streaming.

Oh, hi everyone!

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Joel, your information is completely wrong. Portable P25 decrypters are impossible.

xmo

"...the scanner enthusiast will still be able to hear the transmissions by using illegal de-coders which I will see as becoming common as more encrypted systems are deployed. ..."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dream on, dude, dream on!

Status
Not open for further replies.