Ask RR: Would you pay for a subscription with Bitcoins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Good grief. You need a computer to keep track of the computer. :)

Too complicated for this gray-hair, but whatever rolls one's socks up. Personally I just generate a one-off credit card number that keeps the bad guys away.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
It all depends if their customer service is based in America or you have to deal with someone in the far east who don't speak very well english or hard to make understand what your trying to say to them I'm not trying to be rude or anything with foreign call centers. If you guys and ladies are thinking about switching from Paypal why's that if I may ask? Hope for the best.

wyomingmedic

Ummm yaaa.

I think it looks like a solution searching for a problem.

Overly complicated, questionably reliable. If there is no central controller, then who do you blame when there are problems?

It would almost assure that I do not pay for a premium subscription.

WM

trumpetman

Database Admin
Based on reading the replies, half of you don't understand what a bitcoin is. Then the other half of you is hardly reading the question.

It looks like this is just another option being explored and looking for feedback.

I personally wouldn't use the option if it were given... not that I need to pay for a membership anyways ;)

Paypal seems to be the popular option available to most online and mail-in payment works for those that aren't keen on moving money electronically.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Lindsay-
I would say go for it if it does not cost you guys anything. I am familiar with Bitcoins, but I have personally never gotten too excited about them and therefore have never used them. However, if you get just one potential subscriber that would rather pay with Bitcoins than USD, then I would say it is worth it. But I am saying this without knowing what the cost is, if any, to you guys for accepting Bitcoins.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I hate to tell you there has been no such thing as money for quite some time. Pesos, Pounds, Lira, etc. are holdover terms from when real money was a specific weight of precious metal such as gold or silver. Today's currency isn't money, it's credit notes that are no longer redeemable and it all comes down to data bits in a computer, bitcoins. So, what else is new?

What do you mean next? Barter is just as popular as ever and it has been on the internet for years. Google "on line barter" and you'll see what I mean.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Next you'll require "666" on my hand or forehead... no thanks...

BJ_NORTON

Interesting proposal! I've never used bit coins for anything, the currency seems to fluctuate like crazy! Would you tie the BTC price to USD? Right now $25 USD is about B1.8335 BTC where tomorrow it might be only B1.5000BTC

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If its set up like paypal, and that is your prefered method of payment, and I am paying with a credit card, then I could care less?

SKPhoton

Premium Subscriber
I tried getting into Bitcoins and had my computers mining for a while, but I quickly discovered that it simply wasn't worth the time and energy to get the coins and went back to totally using traditional currency.

Cool project, but it's not for everyone.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I vote no .

Are you looking to do away with the paypal fees ?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
LOL my thoughts went from curiosity to zero confidence after I read this in the very first sentence: "protocol created by a pseudonymous developer".

puterman

I do not think I would consider bitcoins for payment at this time.
As you have seen from this thread, most of your users do not even know what it is.

weeksben1

Lindsay,
If there were more robust security, in the bit coin infrastructure. I'd consider it, but as its setup now, not very likely. This has more to do with the lack of infrastructure security in the bit coin economic and business models, than Radio Reference whatsoever. IE, my reluctance would have nothing to do with RR, rather with Bit coin itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.