Phoenix, AZ - Valley’s competing emergency-radio systems pose threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm

So much for childre getting along. This is what happens when you don't have citizen oversite committes. We tax payers should have the right to fire the mesa individual. When the system began it was tied together but as usually happens the children have a spat and don't want to play nice anymore

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
Whatba total fluff job with no facts and whatmis stated in false

"Under the current arrangement, responders dealing with an emergency must switch radios on the fly, depending on which city they’re in. This creates a scenario where a firefighter, cop or paramedic, operating in the midst of a hazard zone, can be forced to use a radio that isn’t familiar and isn’t efficient. If this sounds like a problem you’ve heard about before, you’re right. It was a major problem faced by first responders on Sept. 11, 2001."

What a bunch of BS. Both the PHX and Mesa are Motorola P25 systems and are both in everyones radios. All responders has to do in change the channel.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

And I believe that almost everybody has access to G-deck, even those not otherwise on the RWC or Topaz RWC, either directly, or through their dispatcher

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Sounds similar to what we deal with in Atlanta. A bunch of "I've got MY sandbox and I don't want YOU in it"

Further proves my point that no matter how much public money you throw at this game (think FirstNet) if agency A doesn't WANT agency B on their radio system, than it's all for nothing.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I don't think it's as bad as the author of the piece thinks it is. Almost everybody has access to the G-/H-/I-deck inter-ops. Every 9-1-1 PSAP (and then some) has acces to the PSAP TG. I think the main issue, would be roaming ability between the 2 systems

KB7MIB

Members of the RWC can't roam onto the Topaz RWC on their own TG's, and vice-versa. Phoenix-Tempe apparantly want to let bygones-be-bygones, and (re)establish that. But I guess Mesa said no. Again. (The Topaz RWC used to be Simulcast D of the RWC.)

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

Members of the RWC can't roam onto the Topaz RWC on their own TG's, and vice-versa. Phoenix-Tempe apparantly want to let bygones-be-bygones, and (re)establish that. But I guess Mesa said no. Again. (The Topaz RWC used to be Simulcast D of the RWC.)

I'm not surprised by this at all. Mesa has always been contrary to the rest of the valley. It's evident to anyone who suddenly finds themselves on Mesa's numbered streets and avenues that run East-West as opposed to everywhere else in the Valley where the numbered streets run North-South. So now instead of one seamless public safety radio network we have two completely separate systems representing twice the cost and twice the bureaucracy. Both systems are nearly unscannable pieces of crap as well unless you happen to live next door to one of the towers. It's a perfect example of how government involvement screws up an otherwise fine idea to the tune of millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.