NASCAR Limits Permissible Radio Comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8OHU

And so we still have texting . talk about distracted driving. let the wrecks begin.

K3CFC

If they (the drivers) aren't allowed to have digital radios, how are they going to send text messages? I doubt they have room in those fire suits to stick a smartphone without it showing.

quarterwave

This is old news really, they just clarified it before Daytona. NASCAR stopped drivers from directly talking amoungst each other after last years Feb Daytona 500, which was a step the teams took (programming as many other teams in their own radios as they could) to facilitate the "tandem" racing that was a result of the aero package on the cars. Cars could run "hooked up" nose to tail, but at some point needed to communicate about what move the car in front was going to make and when, and when to swap positions, as the tail car would overheat eventually from having it's nose in an air neutral position behind the lead car.

This clarification keeps them from talking from driver to another drivers spotter, crew chief, etc to accomplish the same thing without talking directly to the other driver. This is NASCAR....if you aint cheatin you aint winnin'...the rules have to be very detailed.

These teams use Motorola TRBO radios and go digital for alot of stuff, but driver-crew-spotter has to be analog.

kma371

QRT
If they (the drivers) aren't allowed to have digital radios, how are they going to send text messages? I doubt they have room in those fire suits to stick a smartphone without it showing.

Tthere was a driver that was using twitter during a race. Photos on the track. Cant remember who it was.

BartowCountyScanner

Banned

quarterwave

It wasn't so much the use of the device, they tightly control what is "floating" around in the car, etc...and it was more like a safety violation for the "object" being with them.

Sort of like a machinist wearing a necklace and rings to work.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
It was Brad Keselowski (2012 Champion) and happened in Daytona

In November, NASCAR fined him $25,000 for having a cell phone in the car at Homestead.

The king had something to say about it. Richard Petty calls Brad Keselowski phone fine 'hypocritical' - ESPN

After Daytona, they banned drivers from having them in the car because they're considered a "computer-like device." Which in a way makes sense, but then again it's not like they're using them at 195mph, so what's the big deal..

Back to the OT, interesting how they didn't stop ESPN and FOX (can't remember if TNT does it or not) from being able to talk to the drivers right before or during a mid-race caution. Seems like that would get distracting, especially on the pace laps when the driver is mentally getting ready. Gotta keep the people paying buckets of money to show the race happy, I guess. Let them talk to TV all they want, but another driver?!!? NEVER!

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
NASCAR fans are down 20 to 40% over last 5 years IIRC - related some how? New body styles this year - I guess that promotes competitiveness?

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
I heard the change in body design was to make them look more like street cars, besides making them more competitive. It'll be interesting to see how it does over the course of this season.

Para078

Premium Subscriber
Talkin' to ol' DW won't enhance performance.

I think NASCAR is doing this to make a better show. Quit the driver-driver scheming and just race.

I'll bet Chad Knaus will try to circumvent the rule some how, he usually does.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Q: How can you tell a rookie NASCAR driver at Daytona?
A: There's a Garmin GPS device mounted on the windshield!

W5JER

Yeah this was bound to happen. I saw it coming months ago. Too bad though. It made races alot more fun to go to.

Luv2Trk1

I think the phone ban in the car may possibly be due to the fact that there are programs that could be used to alter programming of the cars electronics. Load them on the phone, make changes during the race, set back to original program before race ending. I could see that.

bear780ks

Maybe they didn't want what happen to Kyle Busche to happen to the other Drivers:
happy0194.gif

M&M's/NASCAR - Kyle Busch - YouTube

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
is there a spreadsheet on which car or team that uses what fequency such as car 10 dania patricks team uses freq so and so

Status
Not open for further replies.