Monitoring Times magazine to cease publication

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Monitoring Times to cease publication....
This is a sad (but expected) day. I wondered how much longer they could publish MT being a niche hobby in a challenging business world.
I will always treasure my collection of MTs. I would not be where I am today without all I learned from many years of reading Monitoring Times.
Thanks to Curt W4CP for the heads up.
Marshall KE4ZNR

-------
Sent from my Commodore VIC-20

On Jul 25, 2013 6:14 PM, "Curt Phillips W4CP" wrote:

Columnist Hugh Stegman posted the following message to the UDXF Yahoo message list this afternoon:

December 2013 will be the last issue of Monitoring Times.

Yes, I'm as surprised as you are.

This isn't April first, so I have to assume the following message from
Bob Grove is real:

------------------
After 33 years of publishing the most informative and lauded
magazine on monitoring the radio spectrum, Judy and I are finally going
to retire. We are grateful for the dedicated efforts of our fine staff
of writers for the excellent work which has kept MT alive for all these
years. While we know the discontinuation of MT, with our December issue,
will be a disappointment to our readers and writers alike, we realize
that a combination of a down-turned economy, as well as the ready
availability of free listening and technical information on the
Internet, has reduced sales and subscriptions throughout the market
place. I would like to thank you personally for your knowledge, your
dependability, and your professionalism in making MT the publication
that is most often referred to in the radio monitoring hobby. It is a
legacy that we have all inherited.
-----------
They haven't even changed the web site yet.

I'm going to miss my column a lot. I will keep my blog and web site up,
with the appropriate changes, as they are hosted separately.
Presumably, I'll have more time to spend on these, so they'll be more up
to date and informative.

-hugh

richardbritt

Database Admin
Sorry to hear that. Its been around a long time. Any idea if they will make back copies available on DVD?

Thanks for the heads up

Richard W4MCD

MK

Another very sad event in the gradually imploding hobby of scanning.

kennyblues

I'm very sad to hear his news today, I have been a subscriber since the early 80's when it was in newsprint form. Wishing Bob Grove a very happy retirement.

JPSan

Another serious loss for the hobby........

Started subscribing to MT the 2nd year of it's existence. It was in a newspaper format and I watched it flourish into what it is today. Without a doubt it always had something between it's covers that I found new, educational and fascinating. I have purchased scanners and antenna's in the past from Grove.
Very sorry to see them go. But, Bob and company have to do what is necessary. I for one will definitely miss MT and all those who have and are contributors to it pages.
It's been a great run. Thanks Bob for your time and effort over all these years. Hope you enjoy whatever your future brings! CIAO, my friend. MT forever! :(

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
This is sad news to hear about. I even had one of my questions sent to them years ago published in the magazine. With newspapers closing down and cutting back it was a mater of time. It's just sad to see the way everything is heading full speed ahead toward a more digital world.

GrumpyGuard

I too find this to be sad. I have subscribed to the MT Express off and on over the years as it is an excellent magazine that covers many aspects of the radio hobby. Bob Grove is a wealth of information and I hope he enjoys his retirement, as it was well earned.

THANK YOU Bob for all you have done for the radio hobby.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Sad day indeed. I still have my collection of newspaper format issues dating back to Number 1.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Refunded Subscription

When I looked at one of my last issues, I discovered I had 11 issues remaining. So, if you are in my shoes, I would contact Grove about a refund. I just finished emailing the woman who handles such at Grove.

I suppose I will have to return to Popular Communications provided it is still in publication. I believe Scanning USA is dead and gone.

I will surely miss the expertise of Bob Grove.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring Times Ending Publication!

I feel sad, as I have been a subscriber since the 1980's, when it started as a newspaper-formatted monthly.

Grove Enterprises will also be shutting it's doors, sad to say as well. They did not always have the lowest prices, but I always had good customer service from them.

Bob says it's time, that with the advent of free, constantly updated info on the web, not to mention rising publishing costs, it was only a matter of time.

I wish he and Judy all the best in their retirement!

Last edited by a moderator:

richardbritt

Database Admin
I found an answer to my question if anyone might be interested.

10 years of Monitoring Times, all on ONE DVD!

This remarkable tool will have complete information from every issue from January 1999 to December 2008.

All of the articles are fully indexed and searchable.

$79 for the DVD set

I have none of my old print copies (due to moving etc) but now I can get them on DVD. Yeah!!!

I got this info from the Grove site.

Richard W4MCD

brandon

Database Admin
It also sounds like Grove Enterprises will be a thing of the past.

richardbritt

Database Admin
I hope they stick around. I just found out they have a 6 month print subscription to MT. I just got one. At least this way I'll get the rest of the editions in print for my reference. Until I saw this article I assumed they were out of print years ago. I subscribed for years and loved the vastness of coverage they have. I'll miss them.

CrabbyMilton

A great magazine indeed. I think most knew that the handwriting was on the wall a long time ago when you can get info via your fingertips instantly. I wish the founders well.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I learned everything I know about radio from MT. Thanks to Bob for such a wonderful magazine!

KB5ILY

To: Bob Grove, I hope you enjoy retirement, you have certainly earned it, You, Grove Enterprises and Motioning Times will be missed.

prcguy

A few years ago I had the privilege of writing a column for MT but had to quit after a year due to my regular job. I was hoping to resume with MT in my retirement but I guess they beat me to it. MT was the very best of the monitoring magazines and will be sadly missed.
prcguy

N4GKS

With encryption, expensive radios and no interest from the younger generation, not only will scanning become a thing of the past, I predict ham radio will be too within 15 years. I also see CQ and QST going under or going to the Internet for publication. Hobby's like ours are dying a fast death with every passing year.

Status
Not open for further replies.