Whistler Group acquires GRE's assets to manufacture Radio Shack scanner product line

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Whistler, the makers behind numerous radar detectors and other electronic products, has acquired GRE's technical assets and plans to produce scanners for Radio Shack.

Whistler Group | High Performance Radar Detectors and Electronics

The following models will be manufactured for Radio Shack by Whistler:

• PRO-652 - identical to the previous PRO-197 model. Digital trunking full coverage base scanner
  • PRO-651 - identical to the previous PRO-106 model. Digital trunking full coverage handheld scanner
  • PRO-650 - identical to the previous PRO-405 model. Analog base scanner, 25-512 MHz only
  • PRO-649 - identical to the previous PRO-404 model. Analog handheld scanner, 25-512 MHz only

No words yet on backwards compatibility with the previous models with regards to programming, software, etc.

Also, we've received no details on the status of the PSR-800/PSR-900 series radios that came pre-programmed with the RR database and support for Project 25 Phase II systems.

jackj

I wonder if Whistler is in negotiations with RR for using RR data base with their version of the 800? I also wonder if Whistler will continue support for programing GRE's 800.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Any word on where the products will be manufactured? I hope their employees are as dedicated as GRE America's appeared to be.

Last edited:

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
Lindsay, thanks for posting this. It's great news. And thanks for helping to sort out all the good information from the misinformation about GRE during this unfortunate production hiatus.

Michael-SATX

Wow ~ That's GREat news Lindsay, maybe that would explain why the Pro-106/197/404/405 models
never officially went to disco status. I inquirred many months ago about why this was and I was told
that something was in the works that could not yet be made public ~ this all makes more sense now :)

ps~Lindsay, I see you have a new address and a new "Northwest Command Post" photo posted.
I am sorry that I never got the priviledge of meeting you while you lived here in San Antonio, Texas.
We will truly miss your discovery and postings to Mil-Air, our Military and other San Antonio systems.
Have you moved away permanently to MT for family, better monitoring or just to enjoy the fresh air ?

btw~Let's hope that Whistler later on brings the PSR-800/900 to life again labeled RS or Whistler ')

bigcam406

no mention of the psr900 in previous post concerning models that are going to be produced for Radio Shack.i guess we'll have to wait and see.love to get my hands on one of those.

DickH

That is certainly good news and a good start. Thanks for keeping us informed.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OK so it isn't just a fishing expedition or hoax. TY for confirmation. When this was brought up in the GRE forums, we all kinda were like "Yeah, right."... Too many fairy tales lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.