Augusta, GA - Augusta Considers $10 Million Radio Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hey sheriff.... so we've outgrown the system? How? How much more growth do you need? Augusta/Richmond County is on the Palmetto 800 system so why spend $10 million? The story is confusing... does he want to get away from the Palmetto 800 system altogether and the county be independent of them? There's mention of going digital.... Palmetto 800 can handle P25 if that's what he want's but I find it hard to believe that new radios/flash upgrades would cost that much. Maybe I'm missing something.... I'm not a citizen of Richmond County but I do work there. The county has had financial problems for a while so, does that much money need to be spent?

There's pro's and con's to this... currently, we buy radios, the county pays a subscription fee per radio and Palmetto 800 takes care of the infrastructure, maintenance, etc., much like we all do with our cell phone provider. We buy a phone and the carrier takes care of the rest, no fuss no muss just pay our bill every month and all is good. Same goes for being a subscriber on the Palmetto 800 system, we pay a monthly fee per radio and they take care of everything else. The county also pays a yearly maintenance fee to the local Motorola dealer to take care of any problems with our radios, MDT's, GPS', etc. The dealer performs radio installs, programming, bench repairs and anything that doesn't pertain to the Palmetto 800 infrastructure.

I don't think we're getting the whole story.... someone prove me wrong, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.