Fort Wayne, IN - Police scanner hobbyists will lose signal in city, county

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Please be advised that with the new City/County radio communications system becoming operational soon, citizens that have enjoyed listening to public safety radio traffic by means of scanners and/or software applications will no longer be capable of monitoring those radio communications as of 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, February 4th.

Police scanner hobbyists will lose signal in city, county

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
You've got to admire the news media's complete lack of skepticism or depth when reporting on these changes.

Not even an attempt to mention this one time where someone's best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a guy with a scanner at 31 Flavors.

N5TWB

You've got to admire the news media's complete lack of skepticism or depth when reporting on these changes.

Not even an attempt to mention this one time where someone's best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a guy with a scanner at 31 Flavors.

It is most distressing that a publication would allow itself to be reduced to merely a conduit for official announcements of the local constabulary that's busy deflecting on why they don't want the people who pay the bills to know how they operate. Sad days, glad I don't live there.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Please be advised that with the new City/County radio communications system becoming operational soon, citizens that have enjoyed listening to public safety radio traffic by means of scanners and/or software applications will no longer be capable of monitoring those radio communications as of 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, February 4th.

Police scanner hobbyists will lose signal in city, county

One of my local counties went to 100% encryption this past year and guess what? Crime is at the highest level then in the past 20 years. Ranked in the top 5 of 67 counties in Florida. I'm sure leaving out the law abiding citizens from listening into there radio communications and possibly reporting and/or helping fight crime had nothing to do with it. (sarcasm)

Ed6698

This is the exact reason I am not buying a new scanner as of yet, I can still get everything I want for now. Lake County Indiana is going to be switching over to a state mandated consolidation later this year or next year. I am just waiting to hear if it will be encrypted. I don't want to spend $500 or more on a new unit now to find out later it will be basically useless later.

vortex360

This is the exact reason I am not buying a new scanner as of yet, I can still get everything I want for now. Lake County Indiana is going to be switching over to a state mandated consolidation later this year or next year. I am just waiting to hear if it will be encrypted. I don't want to spend $500 or more on a new unit now to find out later it will be basically useless later.

One county going encrypted does not make a scanner useless. Glad I got the 536HP because it is an amazing radio.

Ed6698

One county going encrypted does not make a scanner useless. Glad I got the 536HP because it is an amazing radio.

Well if they do go encrypted in Lake County Indiana it would involve 17 police and fire agencies, so I would be losing just about everything, So yes getting a new scanner would be useless, when I can currently get everything now without getting a new scanner.

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
RADIO

I think people will have to go to the top of the chain and tell them to stop this kind of problem if they want to stay in office.we should at least be able to monitor regular dispatch to know what is going on around us.

w2txb

It is most distressing that a publication would allow itself to be reduced to merely a conduit for official announcements of the local constabulary that's busy deflecting on why they don't want the people who pay the bills to know how they operate. Sad days, glad I don't live there.

Most news media has become a bunch of "Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V" and "delete the '-30-' " keystrokers.

The City and County fully understand the popularity of citizens being able to monitor radio traffic but as the ever increasing need to protect public safety operations and to ensure the safety of our communities it became paramount this feature be fully utilized.

Total bullhockey :mad: , and those who criticize such things as total encryption, are derided as being anti-police, anti-safety, trying to kill the children and starve the elderly, etc. :roll: The only thing that total encryption will accomplish is the facilitation of messages such as that made infamous by Laurence Powell.

I prefer more accountability from all government agencies and officials, including law enforcement.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
They are putting their electrons into my airspace around my house least I can do is monitor them back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

Here is a article from last year on encryption the Chief's should read this. If you encrypt too much, you may make your network so secure tha you lose the benefit of interoperability

I love when interoperability is mentioned as the reason to no use encryption... The fact is that system information must be shared, radios must be assigned ID's and added to databases, etc for ANY interoperability to happen on a trunked system. There is no reason that encryption keys can't be shared at the same time and in many cases this is exactly what is done.

I am not advocating that all public safety communications should be encrypted, its just that interoperability really isn't a valid argument against encryption.

princo

Well crap. I just bought a new scanner just to monitor this system. I thought this would never happen. Especially since I heard that they were moving to the Phase II system in a few years. I had legitimate authorization from several county/state public safety department heads. Now I hate to even think of what their two cents is on the matter.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Media

I wonder what the monitors are that the media are going to have? The article that I read about says "the media will be able to monitor police calls". It didn't say they are going to be given radios.

DisasterGuy

In just about any system that is either proprietary (Turbo, EDACS ProVoice, or uses system wide encryption) the media is given the chance to purchase radios through the department and receive access to appropriate talkgroups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ND6386

To: The City and County Admin that wanted this. Tell why that about 99% of Super bowl radios are not encrypted because I have a friend that works the super bowl's as a LEO and he works for the DHS and told me that article is a lie saying that DHS about encryptions all communications. They are going to find out that hard way with some persons radio key fails and tries to transmit and he wont be able to communicate since he wont hear the secure side. Also to the persons who wanted this its funny that most of Federal Gov. agencies radio are some time in the CLEAR mode than Secure mode.

wbswetnam

The Fort Wayne Police Department recommends that police scanner enthusiasts consider another hobby, perhaps rock collecting, water painting or watching clouds float by.

olebaldy1

Home Land Security creeping into Indiana

The idea of Ft Wayne locking out law abiding citizens from listening in on THEIR PUBLIC SERVANTS is an outrage and smacks of Ft. Wayne becoming a police state. Following the Dept of Home Land Security policies is also leading to Ft. Becoming a police state.

This coming spring dangerous storms will be attacking Indiana with floods, high winds, and tornadoes; and by encrypting the PUBLIC airwaves you will be denying many taxpayers the life saving information that will be transmitted over the PUBLIC airwaves. By the time the authorized listeners of encrypted radio traffic receives important life saving information and notifies local radio stations several critical minutes are wasted.

The Amateur Radio Community that volunteers for SKY WARN operations, search and rescue, and a host of other public events depends on listening to the PUBLIC SAFETY radio traffic to coordinate their volunteers so as not to overlap other PUBLIC SAFETY depts also watching the skies for dangerous weather they will also be locked out of the loop.

The listening public also has the right to listen to public safety radio so they know where the crime infected areas of a city is so they can avoid that area or if a one live in the crime area they would know what to look out for.

Crooks and professional criminals will use scanners to commit crimes just as they use guns, mostly stolen guns, during their crimes. They will also buy the necessary equipment and software to be able to know what the police are doing. I know I will be looking around for software to enable my equipment to receive the encrypted radio traffic. But I will be restricted to using the equipment in my home.

The PUBLIC has every right to listen to police, fire, ambulance calls because we, the tax payers, fund the very depts being encrypted though local, state, federal taxes and we are not the bad guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.