Navarre, FL - Property owners may be assessed to fund a $7.2 million upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

Not a good idea.
The sales team may call it antiquated but the analog has survived how many hurricanes after how many decades?
Paying more and inviting problems. The residents of Santa Rosa County need to speak up now.

And by the way, at the end of that 7 years, guess what's going to needed then! Yep, another tax increase to pay for the next round of upgrades when the current race-to-waste DTRS is past its expiry date. Once you open that can of worms you can never close it.

wise871

Database Admin
You are correct in your assessment. The same thing happened a couple years ago in the neighboring Escambia County. They started out at 7.2 million to upgrade there system to digital, the sheriffs department went encrypted and now they're asking for more money several years later to make additional upgrades. What's funny about this whole situation is, the sheriffs deputies in the county are some of the lowest paid in the state, they can't get the equipment or vehicles they need but somebody wants to spend millions of dollars on upgrading a radio system that still works fine.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Just remember, "A customer needs to look at a P25 Astro system differently than they have in the past"- Brenda Herold, Corporate Vice President, Global Astro 25 Product Solutions, Motorola Solutions, Inc.

ASTRO® 25 Lifecycle Management: Keep Your System Up-to-date - YouTube

What does this mean? Costly forklift upgrades in as little as 5 to 7 years, as zone core hardware become obsolete, it's tear it all down and build it all over again, and again, and again.

Where is the ROI?

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Why not DMR (specifically MOTOTRBO)? I never understood why a 16 channel HT1000 was public safety grade, but a 1000 channel submersible XPR 6550 is commercial only. Oh, and Phase 2 P25 is approved just in time for the Phase 1 patents to expire? Come on already.............TT

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just remember, "A customer needs to look at a P25 Astro system differently than they have in the past"- Brenda Herold, Corporate Vice President, Global Astro 25 Product Solutions, Motorola Solutions, Inc.

What does this mean? Costly forklift upgrades in as little as 5 to 7 years, as zone core hardware become obsolete, it's tear it all down and build it all over again, and again, and again.

Where is the ROI?

The only ROI is for Motorola, and the perpetual revenue stream that an Astro25 system brings with forced obsolescence...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Why not DMR (specifically MOTOTRBO)? I never understood why a 16 channel HT1000 was public safety grade, but a 1000 channel submersible XPR 6550 is commercial only.
TT

The XPR series is not PS grade??? Someone needs to tell certain Motorola dealers that in Alberta... I keep seeing XPR-7550 portables being deployed to fire departments...

That and I'm pretty sure oilfield workers are harder on radios that cops... I have seen some pretty beat up XPR-6550's that are less than 2 yeas old... A beating most radios would not take...

JRayfield

For years, public safety agencies have used HT1250's and no one ever said that they weren't "public safety grade" radios. Now along comes the XPR-series of radios, which have equal or better (submersible) specs than the HT1250's, and some people say that the XPR isn't "public safety grade".

If you compare the XPR7550 to the APX-series (especially the APX4000), you'll find that the APX-series has been tested to a few 'higher' specs than the XPR7550. So, the APX-series might be a bit 'tougher' than the XPR7550. That's not surprising. But, that doesn't mean that the XPR7550 is not "public safety grade". All of the XPR-series radios are a lot 'tougher' than many of the Kenwood radios that have been used for public safety for years (and no one, that I ever heard, claimed that any of those Kenwood radios weren't "public safety grade").

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

The XPR series is not PS grade??? Someone needs to tell certain Motorola dealers that in Alberta... I keep seeing XPR-7550 portables being deployed to fire departments...

That and I'm pretty sure oilfield workers are harder on radios that cops... I have seen some pretty beat up XPR-6550's that are less than 2 yeas old... A beating most radios would not take...

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Can we get back on topic ? and get off Mototrbo. What I read did not say anything about Mototrbo. Keep me updated wise871. I bet they lean toward P25 Phase I because Escambia County Florida runs mutal aid with them.

wise871

Database Admin
BamaScan, thanks and they are most likely leaning to what Escambia is using, P25 conventional. I believe the 7.2 million is what Escambia paid for there initial setup.

radiomanNJ1

It's actually pretty simple. Small dealers are not authorized to sell Motorola P25 equipment so the only thing they can push to the users is Trbo. They can tell the chiefs how no one can listen, free simple encryption etc.

P25 is one standard for Public Safety Trbro, Nxdn, etc. are not. If you get DMR of some type interoperable communications might be an issue.

How many of you are still watching black and white TV's? Things move on, new tv, new scanners, new cars with blue tooth, backup cameras, etc.

Lets get off the DMR kick and back to the thread.

For years, public safety agencies have used HT1250's and no one ever said that they weren't "public safety grade" radios. Now along comes the XPR-series of radios, which have equal or better (submersible) specs than the HT1250's, and some people say that the XPR isn't "public safety grade".

If you compare the XPR7550 to the APX-series (especially the APX4000), you'll find that the APX-series has been tested to a few 'higher' specs than the XPR7550. So, the APX-series might be a bit 'tougher' than the XPR7550. That's not surprising. But, that doesn't mean that the XPR7550 is not "public safety grade". All of the XPR-series radios are a lot 'tougher' than many of the Kenwood radios that have been used for public safety for years (and no one, that I ever heard, claimed that any of those Kenwood radios weren't "public safety grade").

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

wise871

Database Admin
FYI I do know the system is going to be a P 25 just not sure if it's going to be conventional or trunk. It's not going to be turbo.

rapidcharger

Can we get back on topic ? and get off Mototrbo. What I read did not say anything about Mototrbo.

Lets get off the DMR kick and back to the thread.

It's not going to be turbo.

WHEREAS A Decision by the Board of Commissioners has not yet been made.

WHEREAS RadioReference.com Forum is a high profile, high traffic website that may influence the opinions of decision makers, system users and taxpayers. Especially taxpayers that may be more informed than the decision makers and may still be able to speak at a public meeting.

WHEREAS Similarly sized counties in similar financial shape to the county being discussed are successfully using DMR ("MotoTRBO")

WHEREAS County Administrator Hunter Walker, said “We don’t generate enough per year to take care of this particular amount.”

WHEREAS DMR ("MotoTRBO") can save the county of Santa Rosa and the taxpayers millions of dollars over the course of the system life, not only in equipment costs but also in maintenance and upkeep and tax receipts from earnings of a local dealer and its employees who is awarded the contract. Thereby keeping the proceeds in the local area and not sent out of state.

WHEREAS DMR ("MotoTRBO") can serve the needs of the Count of Santa Rosa, it's first responders and other government departments equally as well, if not better than the only proposals currently on the table.

WHEREAS P25 is not what the article is about nor the subject of the post.

With all that in mind, I'd say the majority of participants in this thread would agree that DMR ("MotoTRBO") is very much on topic indeed.

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
I already know what they are looking at but I can't say right now so can we please get off the DMR subject. The article was to inform others about the proposal.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Santa Rosa Co, FL - If commissioners approve a proposed plan to update the county’s antiquated analog emergency communication system, each property owner in Santa Rosa County will be assessed about $10 a year for seven years to help fund the $7.2 million upgrade.

Property owners may be assessed to fund a $7.2 million emergency communications upgrade | Navarre Press

rapidcharger....if you read the original post that started the thread, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Mototrbo. Just because you think Mototrbo is a more cost effective solution that will work for Santa Rosa County doesn't give you the right to hijack the thread. Please follow the rules of the forum.

rapidcharger

I already know what they are looking at but I can't say right now so can we please get off the DMR subject. The article was to inform others about the proposal.

So, just so I understand, you're not going to tell us what you know about the proposal. I guess that's a secret.
And the purpose of the article is just to inform us about the proposal but we aren't supposed to discuss it? Why not just lock the topic right after posting it if you don't want people to discuss it then?

rapidcharger....if you read the original post that started the thread, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Mototrbo. Just because you think Mototrbo is a more cost effective solution that will work for Santa Rosa County doesn't give you the right to hijack the thread. Please follow the rules of the forum.

I read the post a few times now. It doesn't mention "motoTRBO" but it also doesn't mention "p25". It seems like the last two people who wanted the rest of us to SHUT UP about it only wanted to talk about P25 and not DMR.
The title says very clearly what the aticle is about. Property owners are going to have a special assessment to fund a $7.2 million dollar upgrade. That kind of assessment is completely unnecessary. I would think that someone who's avatar is a "Don't Tread On Me" flag would tend to agree with that. And I know from experience what happens next. Why do mods from the others sections want so badly to silence the rest of us when we want to talk about that and offer alternative ideas? Is there a reason you can give me to help me understand why? There is no arguing going on here. No rules are being broken? Why don't you want this discussed? Why?

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
I've already mentioned what they are possibly looking at and the related county. I guess you didn't take the time to read my post. But then again you already have it figured out. If you were local you would know what is already in use in the area. I'm done with this topic.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
rapidcharger;2****49 said:
So, just so I understand, you're not going to tell us what you know about the proposal. I guess that's a secret.
And the purpose of the article is just to inform us about the proposal but we aren't supposed to discuss it? Why not just lock the topic right after posting it if you don't want people to discuss it then?

I read the post a few times now. It doesn't mention "motoTRBO" but it also doesn't mention "p25". It seems like the last two people who wanted the rest of us to SHUT UP about it only wanted to talk about P25 and not DMR.
The title says very clearly what the aticle is about. Property owners are going to have a special assessment to fund a $7.2 million dollar upgrade. That kind of assessment is completely unnecessary. I would think that someone who's avatar is a "Don't Tread On Me" flag would tend to agree with that. And I know from experience what happens next. Why do mods from the others sections want so badly to silence the rest of us when we want to talk about that and offer alternative ideas? Is there a reason you can give me to help me understand why? There is no arguing going on here. No rules are being broken? Why don't you want this discussed? Why?

Its not that I don't agree with you. The analog system has performed time and time again during hurricanes. Do I think they need to spend that much for a trunked system that is absolutely not needed and will probably wind up encrypted...no. The problem I have is you are hijacking the thread. Feel free to vent...go to the rant forum and rant away. Start your own thread. There are many options. Your generalization that mods want to quit discussion is far from true....go to the NY or NJ forums...it takes ALOT for me to close a thread and thats after multiple "keep in on topic" posts. What if I told you I don't agree with the whole broadcastify idea...to me it just encourages encryption. My point is, we all have our opinions....we just can't hijack someone else thread to dicsuss it...

rapidcharger

IThe problem I have is you are hijacking the thread. )))

I still fail to understand how any of the DMR related threads here were off topic. They look on topic to me. You may notice I didn't actually even post anything about DMR. It wasn't until people came in attempting to silence the others (while contributing zero to the discussion) that I got back in after my original comment.

((( Feel free to vent...go to the rant forum and rant away. )))

I don't see anyone ranting here.
I'm not ranting.
A comment that does not agree with something does not automatically constitute a "rant."

((( What if I told you I don't agree with the whole broadcastify idea...to me it just encourages encryption. My point is, we all have our opinions....we just can't hijack someone else thread to dicsuss it...

And it may surprise you to learn that I think Broadcastify has absolutely nothing to do with it. We were attempting to discuss it in the rants room until it was locked just yesterday.

I get the notion that this forum isn't really for discussion. Discussion seems to be frowned upon. I would suggest that if that is the case that all of these new threads be locked from the very beginning. Anyway, that's all I've got to say on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.